Thread: do you do both sides ?

do you do both sides ?

The yang style form i do goes to the left and returns but is not symmetrical. I have noticed this in other TCC forms as well. Why is this ? I have started inverting and doing the form going to the right when finishing the left. Is there any reason why i shouldn't ? Thoughts ?

greendragon.

It depends.

One TJQ style I learned we did all the movements to both sides, as well as with forward and reverse stepping.

I think in Yang Guang Ping they reverse the form once it has been learned.
    Atleast if I remember correctly that is what a friend told me some years back.

Personally, I like inverting the movements makes for a good workout and can teach you a lot about the movements and so on.

As to why the forms are the way they are, I am not sure.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

If you practice the techniques in the form as basic drills, you DO them on both sides but you don't have to do the form on both sides.

If you don't do basic drills, you have to do something to develop both sides...and reversing the form is one way...

I practice individual moves on both sides, but none of my forms are symetrical. Don't know why

hmmm

One sided forms aid Dan Tien rotation whereas when you do it both sides it forces the dan Tien to revers and go anti-clockwise. For health its best to do a one sided left side form. For applications its good to train both sides.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

R. Monkey,

Please explain your statement of Dantien should be going in one direction (clockwise?)?? References please.

In baseball, do you train to switch the mit from hand to hand, or would that be a waist of time? One hand holds the mit (though sometimes you use two hands to catch) and one hand throws.

In tennis, there is back hand and forehand, but you don't insist on using both a right and left forehand.

Of course it's good to train both sides, but I find very often that my left and right solve the same problem differently.

Do any of you find it this way?

We practice our own 13 posture Taijiquan set in our school.

This set goes in one direction only. Then the student will switch it to the other side.

In sparring, students tend to figure out what moves and sides they prefer. It varies from student to student.

My goal in teaching Taijiquan is to help the student respond to any attack on any side using his preferences.

As per the recommendations of my teacher's teacher in Beijing, Wang Peishang (Northern Wu style), we practice the form on both sides.
    Larry
    www.northernwu.com

Responding to EFist's comment, I invariable find that certain moves when doing the "left handed" version of the form are more naturally to me "right handed" when fighting, and vice versa, so I've never had a form where there weren't certain moves that I would rarely use on that side in fighting, but where the form has me doing that side alone as a regular practice routine.

I agree that this is the advantage of drills.

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    In baseball, do you train to switch the mit from hand to hand, or would that be a waist of time? One hand holds the mit (though sometimes you use two hands to catch) and one hand throws.

In tennis, there is back hand and forehand, but you don't insist on using both a right and left forehand.

Of course it's good to train both sides, but I find very often that my left and right solve the same problem differently.

Do any of you find it this way?

If your main concern is applicability it's less efficient to train both sides equally. Boxers, Muay Thai, even wrestlers (to a degree) all have a sidedness to their form. Many Chinese styles advocate keeping your strong side forward. The only style I know of wich really emphasises abidextrousness id bagua. Even if you often switch sides, you will typically switch tactics at the same time.

Going to lengths to make sure you do everything the same on both sides is as result of tailoring the training to preserving your health and keeping balanced not for fighting.

Greetings..

I was taught the Yang long form (108 movement) standard first, then opposite.. this was necessary prior to moving into other forms.. As for my own method of teaching, i teach the Yang long form first.. then, i insist that the students teach themselves the opposite direction.. this helps the student internalize the form, it forces them to analyze more than just follow.. they already know the form.. now, to transfer it to the other side is an exercise in self-discipline and internalization.. it is also a good balancing of energies.. the twisting, turning, squatting, kicking, etc. massage the internal organs, open meridians, and help clear blockages.. it seems logical to balance the effects from side to side.. and, purely from a MA perspective, there is wisdom in training all weapons equally..

Just another perspective, Be well..
    Last edited by TaiChiBob; 08-12-2003 at 04:40 AM.
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I thought the students were supposed to figure this one out for themselves.

There may be wisdom but if your time is limited it's inefficient. Go with your strengths. The best benifits are the ones you mentioned, balancing energy, massaging internal organs etc. If you fight south paw, you're whole strrategy will change. Not just because of handedness but also because most likely you will be fighting 'open' to your opponent. Not open to attack but, you know, like a mirror image, your RIGHT hand is closest to his LEFT and so on.