Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Islamic Knife Fighting

jojitsu27 Guest

how many whiteys do you have to kill to get to heaven?

In Islamic knife fighting, how many whites or christians do you have to stab to get into heaven?
    -jojitsu27

mubarazaad Guest

re: arnis

Hi kyoshu,

I agree with you, but now Bangsamoro(Moroland southern phillipines) is Islamic and they don't care about anything else. They say their kali silat is muslim martial arts, if you don't believe me ask them.

La sayf ila zulfaker wa la fata ila Ali.
    There is no sword but zulfakar and no hero but Ali

mubarazaad Guest

re: killing

Hi jojitsu,

Killing anyone without reason is unacceptable, Im sure that's a principle in your religion also.
    Any real fighter regardless of style or religion does not hurt innocent people, we can all agree on that.

thanks for the post,

hussein

mubarazaad Guest

reverse grip knife

jerry,

I can honestly say that in all my time with the blade I have never used a trap or disarm succesfully against an opponent in sparring, however, when training ambush simulations knife traps have worked for me.
    Did you ever manage to disarm a person while knife sparring fullcontact?

Black Jack Guest
    In a balls to the wall sparring format, trapping with the knife is a very diffcult tactic to apply as there is no element of surprise and both combatants are using the structure of range to each others best advantage.

In a situational ambush scenrio, binding with the blade becomes a easier tool to apply as there is that element of surprise on your side but it is still a diffcult tool to use when the trap goes awire and you are then forced to grapple for a better position to strike and you may have to give your attacker a few tip rips to losen up his grip on your then trapped blade.

I have found that the basic outside crossing or trapping skills can be used with a blade a lot easier than the upper gate binding methods and takedowns.

I always will try to defang the snake at anything that gets into my Largo Mano range but once I get into close quarters I like to cross him up and sneak a few thrusts into the lower vitals or if I happen to have a reverse grip a nice jab to an exposed armpit will do.

Regards

DragonzRage Guest

attn jojitsu,

you really don't like muslims, do you?

There is only one martial art.

JerryLove Guest

Hussein,

Yes, I have done a disarm against a knife successfully. But unless I am *much* better than the person I am sparring with, the guy with the knife usually wins. Simple reality I am afraid.

mubarazaad Guest

Riddle me this

I have a question for everyone since we are on the topic of knife disarms. Let's say for example I would offer you a technique or training method for empty hand fighting and I told you that this method has about 1.5% chance of working for you in actual encounters but I want you to dedicate 25% of your training time on perfecting it, what would you say? let me guess, "hussein you are truly insane". Since this would be the answer most people give then why is it that when I say scrap disarms because in actual fighting you have about 1.5% chance of success and 98.5% chance of death, everyone goes nutts on me? I think I know why, fillipino martial arts are in fashion on the fad hungry martial arts scene, just like Ninjitsu was in the 80ties and BJJ in the 90ties so obviously they can do no wrong.
    All you progressive jkd,bjj and a little fillipino martial arts guys, If you saw an Aikido player do the same joint lock type knife disarm that Remy Presas does you would laugh and disregard him as foolish and traditional but when master Presas does it it's ok, that doesn't make much sense to me.
    Im from a traditional family and I guarantee you can not disarm me even when Im blindfolded.
    so why all the disarms brothers? why take such a big risk when so many other more efficient options are available with less risk to you and that are faster to execute.

riddle me this riddle me that.

Hussein

JerryLove Guest
    I find several techniques with decent chances to disarm, depending on the attacker. Most of these techniques work even better against empty-hand attacks.

For example, smothering the knife with one hand while tjimande-ing the arm. It's supposed to break the arm, but from sparring experience I can tell you it often causes the knife to drop.

Smother the knife and the person holding it. Smother him until you get him into a wall or the floor, then start manipulations or stomping as appropriate.

Slap and pass.

Counter cross-cut with your own knife.

Hit the hand with a stick (defang the serpent)

Then of course, there's all of Seti-Hati. I've terrorized a few lower-level sparring partners when they had a knife with that. Decoys and welcoming postures can work well.

And in answer to your question (and you have the percentages wrong) "because it can save your life"

old jong Guest
    You live in a free country and you have the right to practice your religion and live your life according to your culture.Most people will respect your way of life and leave you in peace as long as you respect our laws and you're not causing a danger to our society.
    Now,imagine the poor soul who would go to live somewhere in the islamic world and open a school with the sign:Christian fencing taugh here,learn the fighting art of the crusaders"...How long do you think he would lives?
    I'm sure that you get the idea.
    There is something else.When I looked at your site and saw these weapons(guns)and ambush techniques,I could not help but think of a terrorist training school! I'm sorry about that but the image is there and it can be offensive to some.Do you realise this?

C'est la vie!

Black Jack Guest

A FAD?

I dont know what you have agasint JKD or the FMA arts but Grandmaster Remy Presas is not the end all be all of the Filipino knife fighting culture.

There are over 7,000 islands in the Philippines and the mother art of Kali can be dated back to the Malay SriVishaya empire in 8th century A.D. so I don't understand the fad comment.

Just some of the other FMA systems include the close quarter infighting style of Pekiti-Trisia, the multiple attacking method of Doblete Rapillon, Kali Illistrisimo by the legendary Antonio "Tatang" Illustrismo who had to use his method many times in fights to the death, Panananadata system, Cadena de Mano (chain hands), Balintawak, Doce Pares, Serrada, Visayan, Inayan style, Largo Mano, Toledo-Collado, Babao Arnis, De Cuerdas and KunTao Silat.

Whoever stated that a FMA artist is going to head for a disarm? Its better to check/pass the blade and strike than to get tangled up into a binding situation, IMO at least.

Since the FMA arts are so complete in there approach to weapon work there are of course strips and disarms like Saplit or Hawak-Sunggab but practical footwork and striking with a small core of basic and simple techniques is stressed for survival.

Knife fighting is a rarity in itself as in most occurances you will not have time to deploy your own weapon. The FMA arts cover knife vrs knife and hand vrs knife with the same level of deep combat knowledge.

For weapon work I think that the FMA and IMA systems are the best out there with the FMA methods being better in terms of vocabulary and quick growth for a person with no prior combat skills.

The FMA combatitives though thought more of as a weapon based system have excellent hand to hand training that covers all of the situational ranges of fighting.

Some even focus on a select range like Dumog, Sikaran or Keena Muti.

Regards

Knifefighter Guest
    Hussein,
    I agree with you 100% about not being able to get a disarm against a skilled opponent who is fighting you with a knife. I believe disarms should be your last resort. I don’t think you should scrap them, however, as they could be the difference between "just" getting sliced up vs. getting killed.
    That being said, no matter who you are or how skilled you are, if you are empty handed against a skilled opponent with a knife who wants to kill you, you don’t have much of a chance in the first place.

mubarazaad Guest

re: my site

Hi old jong,

Firstly we do not endorse any form of violence against any innocent persons, especially on my website I would never allow it.
    My family just sees martial arts in a more combat oriented way, ambush techniques and military type training with martial arts is the way it was in olden times and the way we think it should be always. Guns, knives, all this stuff is all part of martial arts as a complete combat training methodology not just self-defense. There is nothing I feel ashamed about more than seeing a martial arts black belt getting beat up by a street thug, but that is what happens if you take away the combat/aggressive mindset that makes martial arts functional.
    I care very much about martial arts and everyone that practices it, train hard, be tuff and don't disgrace yourself by letting your martial art degrade to dancing art.

your brother,

Hussein

mubarazaad Guest

Re: FMA

Hi blackjack,

I never meant to say that filipino martial arts is not good or inneffective. As you said check/pass is a better option always but when it comes to disarms I have spoken to many filipino martial arts masters and read many articles about their styles and for some reason disarming is always one of the first things they start discussing. Just for once I would like to have a straight answer from one of them why they waste so much time teaching something that they even admit is almost impossible to accomplish against an experienced bladesman.
    If someone can explain that to me clearly then I promise never to question it again.

riddle me this brothers,

Hussein

La Fata Ila Ali Wa La Sayf Ila Zulfaker

mubarazaad Guest

Dog brothers

Are any of you guys Dog Brothers?

La Fata Ila Ali Wa La Sayf Ila Zulfaker