Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Work and martial arts styles

Work and martial arts styles

I work at a facility for troubled and criminal youth,I'm lost my faith
    in the self defense course taught by our instructor that learned it at Cornell University,one of our staff got beat up very badly the other day.

What would be the best martial arts style for someone small(I'm 110 lbs.) to learn?

Wing Chun.

No, but you should look to what you need to use it for. Gonna punch a lot of people? Kick a lot? Wrestle people down? Etc. Check out schools, avoid Tae Kwon Do though since they won't teach you much self defense on joint locks, since Im betting you need to control the "troubled" youth and not hospitalize them.
    I have a signature.

Second what philbert said.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Smile

Hiya.

You learned that "control" stuff that they foist on the social workers, right?

There is one poster by the name of Old Jong on the wing chun lists- he works at a mental facility, maybe he can help. Obviously, he is pro-wing chun, but I have trouble seeing how it would work best. IMPO, a year of that, then progress to Judo or something, may fill the bill. Also: Tai chi, aikido, a good law enforcement sponsored short course perhaps.

What do you have around you?
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

philbert's was biased response #1. i'll give you biased response #2: wing tsun (or another wing chun branch ). either that, or jkd, if it works a lot of flow-lock.

for your purposes, i doubt you're looking for something intrinsically lethal, nor by your size could we suggest something strength oriented.

let us know what general area you're in (city, or state) and a lot of peeps here can suggest not only styles, but schools in your area, as unless you're willing to travel or move, your location will determine your options.

as far as your co-worker, i hope he/she recovers quickly. in reflection for your self-defense program, think of how long you spend studying it, and think of how long you spent getting your other occupational training (several years for a degree as a starting point vs. a few weekends or a few months as a basis for self defense). proficiency takes not only good ideas, but lots of time and work, and self defense is not one of those subjects you can cram for.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Re: Work and martial arts styles

Originally posted by Angie327
    I work at a facility for troubled and criminal youth,I'm lost my faith
    in the self defense course taught by our instructor that learned it at Cornell University,one of our staff got beat up very badly the other day.
    Any form of combat/SD training will only increase your chances of surviving a confrontation.

Basic rule still applies:
    "You get into a fight you WILL get hit and hurt."

How you recover from that hit is what seperates the winner from the looser.

MA training does not give a guarantee of:
    1.) winning the confrontation
    2.) getting out of it unhurt

Just some food for though, as I know that many SD and MA schools state that this things will happen if you traing under them.

As for style, anything that allows you to control your opponent quickly.

Cheers.

So what style would allow me to control my opponent quickly??

rubthebuddha,you are right,we cannot do anything lethal.

I live in north Georgia close to Chattanooga Tennessee.

What is jkd??

Jeet Kune Do. It's the style (or principle depending on how you look at it) founded by Bruce Lee. No forms, training mostly sparring, two man sets, and a lot bag work. Basically the whole thought was, use what is usefull to you, throw out what isn't.

Since your dealing with the "YOUTH" (who are more then likely twice your size) i would suggest something that has locks or submissions. If you can find a good Kung Fu school, that has some real good Chin Na, which is mostly locks and joint manipulation, that would be good. Judo, Akido might be the stlyes that fit your needs.

What do you guys think of brazilian jui jitsu in this situation? I think it might be another style that she should look into, but then again she is kinda small, and I'm not to familiar with BJJ as it is.
    Last edited by Yung Apprentice; 07-14-2003 at 05:04 PM.

jeet kune do -- the "style" founded by bruce lee, originally based in wing chun but modified heavily to fit the individual person. as a smaller person, i'd say jkd for you would be more close-range work and less for tornado kicks. a good jkd instructor can teach what's called a flow-lock sequence that i think would be fantastic for what you do. it can be used for both restraint and for outright breaking of joints, depending on the level of threat you're facing.

as far as what's up in your area, i haven't a clue. another moderator on here, sevenstar, lives in memphis and is a friend of mine. he knows his stuff, and if he had any suggestions for what you could study in your area, i would put full faith in them.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I've got two students in your shoes - a man AND a woman.

The woman works in the jail, the man used to work in a group home.

I wish you could try our school, as our guys face this day in and day out. The tactics needed are totally different than what people usually teach in self-defense courses. TECHNIQUE is what you need.

But we're on the other side of the country!

Memphis is very far away

Tai Chi and Kempo are two excelent choices. The first is Chinese, the second can be either Japanese or Korean. They will help with flexability, reqiure little strenth, work well with prior injurries and small size. Also very easy to find schools that teach them in almost any city.

Barring that, try something in the theame of grappling. Brazilian Jujitsu (BJJ) might be hard to find, but good if you can. Aikido and Judo would also be good, but the last three will require alot more effort to get to the level you will need to defend yourself and controll the other "guy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Angie, you are pretty much in the middle of "No Martial Arts Land"

check your yellow pages and if any strike your fancy or match any of the criteria already mentioned then post them here and we'll either tear them apart or recommend one of them.

If there's nothing in Chattanooga then Atlanta is probably your best bet. Or try Knoxville if it's actually closer.

to second rub's thoughts, and vent a pet peeve of mine, do consider how much time you put into your training. No 4 or 8 hour seminar is going to do anything more than show you something. It takes repetition to learn it.

I have a student who does the same thing and he about got his thumb bit off because he could only use the specified 'techniques'.

Good Luck and we'll try to help you find a good place to train.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Aikido (i heard some bouncers use it) and maybe BJJ might be good to control them with jointlocks without doing damage

Tai Chi is good, but it is very very very very hard to find people who teach it with its full martial capacity, mostly its taught "for health"
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

What would be the best martial arts style for someone small(I'm 110 lbs.) to learn?
    Find a new line of work right now. Seriously, it's kind of late in the game to find out that you don't intimidate the inmates with your size, they're stronger than you and your confidence in controlling a situation is just not there. I've had several guys that I consider bad and they got out of corrections as soon as they could. One just didn't go back and he was a hellacious street fighter.

If you insist on staying on the job stay away from 99% of traditional arts and arts like JKD, and find something geared specifically to what you'll encounter. Check with as many LEOs in your area and see what they do as they'll be encountering almost the same situations and have to play by the same rules as you.

Sorry Angie but that's way too dangerous a profession if your skills aren't there.

Good luck and listen to Laughing Cow.
    Last edited by rogue; 07-14-2003 at 08:08 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.