Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone training gun defenses?

Anyone training gun defenses?

How big a part is it of your training. Do you use simunition or blanks? Any particular method or techniques?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I have a friend load up some simunitions then I practice dodging bullets.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

Have a cap gun and rubber knife to practice disarms... Get shot and cut a lot still.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I've trained some.

the best I've trained came from a shorinji kempo group. they got inside the range of the weapon and broke the wielder's neck.

rogue, you are a trouble maker.

'gun' defense will be much the same as knife defense. 'damage mitigation'.

like any other weapon, you have to beat the person not what's in their hands.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

We've got a few registered and professional gun users training with us, so we train against people who KNOW how to use guns and have the certification to prove it.

Most truly skilled gun users face people using a reverse stance. So if they're right handed, they'll put their left foot forward and stabilize the weapon with the left hand.

In our drills, we use water pistols to shoot each other during practice. Of course, we make sure that the water gun is roughly the same size as a Glock pistol.

Because of the way modern trained gun users hold the gun, the key is to stay to the outside of the weapon. So if the gun is held in the right hand, stay to your LEFT of the weapon and apply techniques from there. You must escape the shooter's zone to even remotely have a chance of surviving.

If you do that wrong and stay inside the shooter's zone, the skilled gun user will flex his wrist and shoot you anyway.

"Because of the way modern trained gun users hold the gun,"

Majority of assailants are non trained illigitemate gun owners
    Which most likely make up a good majority of gun owners period... Not sure tho.

Unless you drill to defeat someone holding the gun lifted eye-level and sideways in the gangsta stance, you are wasting your time. 9.9 times out of 10, that's how the punk will be holding it when he hits you up for your wallet.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

If you can defend against the skilled gun user, defending against the less trained gun opponent is much easier.

Unless you have practiced this repeatedly, you couldn't know this.

the best I've trained came from a shorinji kempo group. they got inside the range of the weapon and broke the wielder's neck.
    Good lord... if only this could be done against a non-gun weilding opponent

I stay out of bad neighborhoods.... does that count?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I go for jogs in the ghetto wearing a suit made entirely out of 100 dollar bills taped together.
    (of course I sport my Ice gille as well...)

Is staying out of bad neighborhoods enough to avoid having to defend against guns?

NO.

People get attacked by guns in good neighborhoods too whether they ask for it or not.

I guess I didn't lay on the sarcasm thick enough... I don't train gun defenses..... I think that they could definitely produce false confidance in a situation where you should be mostly submisive.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Nor did I lay on the reality thick enough either, it seems.

Here in Phoenix, people get shot all the time.

I also come from Schenectady NY, where every potential person that walks by you very well could shoot you dead for virtually no reason.

"Mostly submissive" often result in "all dead", particularly for women who are attacked on the street.

, where every potential person that walks by you very well could shoot you dead for virtually no reason.
    Thats pretty much the truth anywhere...

"Mostly submissive" often result in "all dead"
    no, fighting someone with a gun will often result in dead.....
    Granted there are time, where it is all or nothing that I would go toe up, however, someone wanting my wallet, will prob. get a lot of reciepts and a few credit cards, thats it.
    practice wu de