Thread: Yu Hai's Praying Mantis

Yu Hai's Praying Mantis

Has anyone learned the Wu Shu Praying Mantis form that Yu Hai created? I learned half and wondering if anyone learned the whole thing. His form is called "White Monkey Steals Peach".

But I noticed in traditional 7 Star Praying Mantis, there's a form called that too. Is there any resemblence of the 7 Star Mantis's "White Monkey Steals Peach" to the Wu Shu Mantis form that Yu Hai created "White Monkey Steals Peach" ?

I'm aware that Yu Hai had some traditional 7 Star Praying Mantis training and by order of the communists, Yu Hai had to create a showy, attractive Praying Mantis form which has become a standard form for Wu Shu competition.

http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/yuhai.htm

http://www.yushiwushu.com/more/h-7.jpg

Does he still teach traditional mantis?

Also do traditional mantis styles learn that type of stance that he's doing in Ren's picture?

Smile

May be Sifu Brendan Tunks can help with this matter. Just a thought.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Ren Blade,

But I noticed in traditional 7 Star Praying Mantis, there's a form called that too. Is there any resemblence of the 7 Star Mantis's "White Monkey Steals Peach" to the Wu Shu Mantis form that Yu Hai created "White Monkey Steals Peach" ?

No virtually no resemblance at all. There are some movements that are based on true Qixing Tanglang movements but the majority are at least very exaggerated or totally unrelated (though sharing some of the same names). A very few movements are true but you will almost never see them played correctly.
    In short, this is not 'classical' Tanglang, it is a sportive or performance variety.

I'm aware that Yu Hai had some traditional 7 Star Praying Mantis training

actually had a decent amount of training under Lin Jingshan and others...

and by order of the communists, Yu Hai had to create a showy, attractive Praying Mantis form which has become a standard form for Wu Shu competition.

Not exactly by order of the communists. In fact it was entirely his design and as a professional coach at that time, was the smart thing to do in his situation. Yu Hai can do real Qixing Tanglang and it is totally different to his modern creation.

Brad: You can find Ban Ma Bu or what some call 4/6 stance in Qixing but it doesnt look like this. This is an example of Yu's highly stylised developments. Though he doesnt really teach the Tanglang he learnt from Lin (nor does his son), he certainly is a fountain of Tanglang knowledge and has done masses of research. In my opinion its a shame he didnt manage to popularise classic Tanglang to the same levels.

hope this helped,
    B.T