Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun - The smart person's art?

don't make me hit your rainbow tech with my ultimate weapon
    ''''smelly gym sock kung fu '''' it will shatter your will to survive and you will beg for death ,,,,,
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Okay. I have spoken foolishly and humbly beg you to spare my nose from this unstoppable three stooges' attack. Ha! Ha!

kj,

Sometimes even a simple question makes my head spin.
    It could be worse... Another random thought:

Three ways (among a few other ways) to become a U.S. military officer:

1. Graduate from West Point, Annapolis, or Air Force Academy.
    2. Graduate from civilian college while enrolled in ROTC.
    3. Graduate from High School, then enlist, then complete Officer Candidate School

Who will make the better military leader? It might surprise you to know that, according to studies (Rand), there is no discernable difference in achievement. All three have produced the same proportions of some great U.S. military minds, many excellent officers, and their small share of "duds." However, option #3 is not really a viable path anymore for a potential officer's military career due to internal politics. Option #1 is the most expensive by an order of magnitude.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 08-01-2003 at 03:13 PM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Re: Nonsense.

Originally posted by Savi

Hendrik's Trolling. Please do not hijack Mun Hung's thread. Please respect Mun Hung and leave your politics out of this.
    Savi,

The rabit or the tuttle. most of us wants to be rabit but tuttle get there first. May be you are different. And that is ok.
    However, for me,
    Respect is about seeing and speaking the reality and experience.

I am confused by your last post Tom. You are going away from the original question and you seem only to be challenging what Savi said.

I have seen first hand that the intellectual level of a person does have great influence on their learning curve.

if they are drilled right they will respond acordingly.
    but they will never teach or fully understand what they do. - Ernie
    Ernie hit it on the head. The how is great, but it is the why that will take you further.

You do have a point about the end result. I think you were trying to say that the results come from personal experience and personality characteristics.

The truth is knowledge is knowledge and you either have it or you don't. Same for fight skill. You either have it or you don't. Savi's point is that supplimentary knowledge can only enhance a fighter's awareness. That's what I can see from his posts.

Re: Re: Nonsense.

Originally posted by Phenix

Savi,

The rabit or the tuttle. most of us wants to be rabit but tuttle get there first. May be you are different. And that is ok.
    However, for me,
    Respect is about seeing and speaking the reality and experience.
    Is that turtle? Just checking.

The respect statement is perfect and what Savi was stating as well. In your previous post you were not holding to your own statement however.

From my experience with Savi and the HFY family, they understand that the mind and body have to be as one. You can't have more body than mind or vice versa. They have to be balanced along with spirit. They hold no illusions about reality and experience as you may think.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

Savi's point is that supplimentary knowledge can only enhance a fighter's awareness. That's what I can see from his posts.---s

Knowledge is sure always great if it describe a part of reality.
    However, when two advance people face off it will be the experience and talent count. Yes, Talent. some born with it. That is apart of reality. and one has to accept the fact. IMHO.

As for awareness.... long story to develop it.

Originally posted by Ernie
    don't make me hit your rainbow tech with my ultimate weapon
    ''''smelly gym sock kung fu '''' it will shatter your will to survive and you will beg for death ,,,,,

I prefer the chosen one beyond smart or stupid!
    With RAW POWER and MOO.

http://www.kungpowmovie.com/swf/KPmain.html

Hint. if havent try it yet. after the movie stop. click on the white dress or the black dress.
    Last edited by Phenix; 08-01-2003 at 04:40 PM.

my name is betty and i will kill you with my gopher chucks wimp low
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hi Hendrik

<<Knowledge is sure always great if it describe a part of reality.>>HS

--All of us learn how to read and write in the second grade, but most of us go on to greater things. Is that a part of reality?--RH

<<However, when two advance people face off it will be the experience and talent count. Yes, Talent. some born with it. That is apart of reality. and one has to accept the fact. IMHO.>>HS

--"...two advance people face off it will be the experience and talent count. Yes, Talent. some born with it."... that reminds me that person behind door No.1.....could it be....****! I forgot his name and may be you could help us out for this one, if you're not too busy answering TenTigers' questions.--RH

Re: Re: Nonsense.

<<<<<-------- See here.

Originally posted by Phenix
    The rabit or the tuttle. most of us wants to be rabit but tuttle get there first.
    Now you're stealing my thunder.

Regards,
    - kj

talent vs knowledge

I believe Savi has pointed out how some traits are acquired in HFYWCK.

Knowledge is sure always great if it describe a part of reality. However, when two advance people face off it will be the experience and talent count. Yes, Talent. some born with it. That is apart of reality. and one has to accept the fact. IMHO.
    Hendrik in you opinion what is reality, what is talent and what would constitute 2 advanced people?
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

A little learning...

<<but this person will grasp every detail and seek out every secret. the engineer that desighned the car may not even now how to drive.>>Ernie

<<"I" know some ancient high tech secret and promise to make SLT and WCK life changes once forever. Certainly that is from Kuen Kuit and metalphysics and same with Chang San-Feng's. Ng Mui teaches me in the dream.>>HS

--That reminds me this...."A little learning is not a dangerous thing to one doesn't mistake it for a great deal."...but there's a problem for those who misquote, or quote out of context, and draw incorrect conclusions from the sutras and other folks, even skies are blue, and you couldn't see the rainbow. Bros, spring comes, the door will open, and you'll recognize the way -the way of WCK and Ch'an!--RH

Re: kj,

Originally posted by Tom Kagan

It could be worse... Another random thought:

Three ways (among a few other ways) to become a U.S. military officer:

1. Graduate from West Point, Annapolis, or Air Force Academy.
    2. Graduate from civilian college while enrolled in ROTC.
    3. Graduate from High School, then enlist, then complete Officer Candidate School

Who will make the better military leader? It might surprise you to know that, according to studies (Rand), there is no discernable difference in achievement. All three have produced the same proportions of some great U.S. military minds, many excellent officers, and their small share of "duds." However, option #3 is not really a viable path anymore for a potential officer's military career due to internal politics. Option #1 is the most expensive by an order of magnitude.
    This may be a little off topic, but I wanted to point out that there is a 4th way.... a direct commission. Used to happen on the battlefield due to necessity in times of combat. Now it happens rarely, but does still occur. I received a direct commission and went from E5 to O1 overnight. How to bring this "on topic".... there may be those rare individuals that have both physical and intellectual talent that can pick up on both aspects of WCK very readily. Yip Man may have been someone like that.

Keith

Ip Man said ''You had to be clever to reach the highest level of Wing Chun.''
    While needed, Intelligence will not give you an advantage at every task.
    Wisdom on the other hand will .