Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Wing Chun - The smart person's art?

back on topic

Originally posted by old jong
    I can tell you that my students who are making the best progress are the ones who practice the more and talk the less.
    They most of the times take more advantages of the questions asked by the more talking ones.

but isn't the truely intelligent student the one who realizes that only through hard work and perserverence will their kung fu improve?

i don't think intelligence has to equal too much thinking and/or talking. i find the quiet and centered people are usually more intelligent then the outspoken and mind-wandering people.

being quiet and centered also usually leads to stronger and better effort. those who are easily distracted usually glide away from good practice because of their distractions. the importance of standing in SLT and having some patience shows itself again

there's an odd phenomenon in our kwoon in that the people who come and show the most enthusiasm, and love WC so very very much usually never stay too long. mabye because it's because they'd rather talk about WC and how much they love it instead of actually doing it?

another large blockade to success in WC (and life in general) is that people assume that to achieve some point of success it will require X effort. in reality it requires Y effort (which is always greater than X). after putting forth X effort and not having the expected result, they get fed up and quit; instead of perservering and putting forth Y effort and actually obtaining that success.
    Travis

structure in motion

The spectrum.

The spectrum of learning:

Physical --------> Balance <-------- Mental

I feel that the ones who practice more and talk less are more kinestetic (sp?) in nature. They begin by doing things physically.

The ones who talk more and practice less are more cerebral in nature. They begin by doing things mentally.

The ones who balance both body and mind learning and experience are the group of people that can communicate to both types of people on the spectrum.

Through hard work, preserverance, persistence, and patience people tend to get the best of both worlds.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

You have visual learners who pick things up just by seeing them, sometimes even just once, and if they're naturally coordinated (etc.) can often do them very well after only a few tries. They're, of course, the devil's work.

Some people train to much, over train, burn out, cement bad habits, never go through any internal analysis or improvement process, and kind of robot-themselves to failure.

Some people talk to much, think to much, over-analyze at the expense of doing, and never really test all the stuff they waste time perseverating about.

Regardless of how you learn or train, I think Savi is correct in taking a balanced approach. Learn something until you have it 'close enough' to begin reps. Rep it until it becomes ingrained, but not like a machine--make every rep conciously beter than the one before. Then put it into the Chi Sao/San Sao lab, try it against all sorts of different situations with ever-increasing resistance levels. Make it yours. Don't beat it to death tho. Take time to sip some water, exchange some jokes, and enjoy life.

Ali and Tyson were two of the greatest fighters of recent times.

A fair spread of the intelligence continuum there ... and even Ali was forced to quip "I said I was the greatest, not the smartest" about some rather ordinary academic performance.

To quote/paraphrase Calvin Coolidge, "The world is full of educated derelicts ... persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

But Andrew- Calvin Coolidge generally ranks in the bottom half of most well known rankings of US presidents.

One of his better known wisdoms is something like:
    Unemployment occurs when people are out of work.

Next thing we know- Paul H will be quoting from the wit and wisdom of Spiro Agnew... maybe something about the nattering nabobs of nogowingchun.
    Last edited by yuanfen; 08-17-2003 at 07:03 AM.

"One of his better known wisdoms is something like:
    Unemployment occurs when people are out of work."

In that case, he's right up there with those other more recent paragons of the presidential or vice-presidental intellect, George W Bush and Dan Quayle. Or Gerald Ford - "Solar Energy is not something that can come in overnight."

Be proud.

Reagan was one of the most popular presidents ever in the US by many accounts. Some of not so fortunate as to live there however, cringed at how he broght the world closer to nuclear annihilation than anyone else since the Cuban Missile Crisis, and his complete cluelessness in dealing with Gorbachev.

Opinions vary, I guess.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Andrew N: Dont want to go too far afield.

Anecdotally, on the campaign trail once- in San Antonio I think
    when offered a tamale... Gerald Ford was about to eat the whole tamale without opening the corn husk!

Soon after the collapse of the USSR- I had the good fortune to be at a conference on Federalism with Mikhail Gorbachev in Calgary,
    Canada. ((Didnt find any wing chun there at the time but the western Rockies with falling snow were breathtakingly beautiful)). In any case in a question and answer period Gorbachev said that he was very close to restablishing a more loose knit and more free federalism with all the USSR
    member states and hoped that his seemingly positive relationship with the US would result in "timely" assistance to help with the economic problems which(togther with ethnic
    issues/pressures) which contributed to the breakup. Unfortunately it was too little and too late.

PS- I am not engaging in any advocacy and hopefully bringing closure to this small diversion, cordially-

joy chaudhuri
    Last edited by yuanfen; 08-18-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Originally posted by anerlich
    Be proud.
    Of course Americans are. Are Australians? If so, why?
    Reagan was one of the most popular presidents ever in the US by many accounts.
    Quite so. He won election twice by wide margins.
    Some of not so fortunate as to live there however, cringed at how he broght the world closer to nuclear annihilation than anyone else since the Cuban Missile Crisis, and his complete cluelessness in dealing with Gorbachev.
    The cluelessness is on the other foot if I may mix your metaphors. His "dealing" with the last soviet dictator Gorbachev brought about the end of half a century of Soviet tyranny and cold war impasse. A pretty impressive achievement and only one of Reagan's many. You should learn more about the man before you follow the left's popular front for character assassination and anomie, otherwise known as the Australian and British news media.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

Anerlich,

Ronald Reagan's greatness lies not in possessing great political intellect like Richard Nixon but rather in his deep understanding and love of the people. Some years ago, my housemate wrote a letter to him expressing concern on a certain issue. To his surprise, Ron wrote back a personal reply letter which I will quote in parts:

"I always enjoy hearing from my young friends across the United States. Thank you for writing to me. It shows you are interested in our nation's well-being and will always be a part of making life better for all our citizens.

Knowing I have your support and friendship certainly brightens my day. You have my best wishes now and for the years ahead. God bless you.

Sincerely,

Ronald Reagan

I realize that opinions do vary from different countries. Just want to equalize the injustices wrongly or rightly inflicted on this humble, loving, and most remarkable man in my lifetime.

Regards,

Ronald Reagan's greatness lies not in possessing great political intellect
    On that we can certainly agree.

That letter to your housemate ... (sob)

Looks like he could write as well as act.

Anerlich,

Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse. The true with the false and the false with the true.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I hope on this we can agree too.

Regards,

MMyeah.

That quote would have been timely for Mr Reagan to remember when he began his jihad against the Godless Communists. Much falsehood masquerading as truth on that score on both sides.

Enough already. We're talking ancient history, poor RR has reportedly succumbed to senility and can't even recognise his wife. He has my sympathy.

This discussion started because I quoted Coolidge and John W began to diss him. The President-bashing didn't start with me.

Wow, of topic again....

Balanced Approach is correct.

Sheesh...
    I take a Neutral Stance with the Martial Arts. Then I chain punch.

"the power of the tigress is the leopard in the spiritual" Sifu Andy-sensei as quoted by Mega_Fist

I meant mongoloid... look it up, stupid. bodhitree to Mega_Fist

Okay. No big deal on my side, Anerlich. We both spoke our minds. Now we are all happy. Ha! Ha!

Regards,

Originally posted by canglong

A reasonable conclusion may not always be the correct conclusion

the unreasonable conclusion can be correct???????? Ow Ow Ow my head hurts. no wonder you guys need a masters degree in this stuff