Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does "martial" relaxation training= Snake Oil? + Adrenal Training

Does "martial" relaxation training= Snake Oil? + Adrenal Training

This thread is not about how relaxation methods are futile on their own as I believe they have health merits but it does question those systems or training approaches where the whole martial method is anchored in being as relaxed as possible.

Under real world violence your body will tense up. You can walk
    around the kwoon in slow mo all day long grasping the sparrows tail but it will not stop your body from responding to that extreme stress with our pre-programmed "flight or fight" response mechanism. This mechanism being the one which has the capacity to alter muscular, hormonal, and mental states under extreme stress so we can face that threat with a greater degree of force.

When faced with a stressor the brains hypothalamus is activated and sets in train a series of hormonal reactions which lead to the release of adrenaline and noradrenaline from the adrenal medulla to the bloodstream. The pituitary gland gets into the act by releasing adrenocorticotropic hormone which when circulated through the kidneys is converted into cortisol. The cortisol stimulates the livers release of the body's principal fuel, glucose.

How does a "soft" stylist purpose to relax when the psychological effect of this stress reaction is tensing up and often very debilitating as well as empowering?

With the blood draining to your muscles there is a danger of going into shock and being mentally paralysed by the unfamiliar sensations occuring in the body. Tensing up, confusion, anxiety, and even physical weakness can occur. So why fight the body's natural reaction to a stressor?

Why not take advantage of this natural response like a lot of fighting hard stylists who incorporate forward drive, tension, and sparring or those like at Peyton Quinns academy who work with reality based adrenal stress training?

Again this is just a question and it does not concern the healing methods of relaxation, be it chi kung, pranayama yoga, Gurdjieff exercises, Russian breathwork, meditation, weightlifting or even a cup of warm cup of tea.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 08-01-2003 at 02:19 PM.
    Regards

Go ask Max Chen
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

So are you saying that this Max Chen is able to shut off his hypothalamus gland if some wackjob with murder on his mind is trying to stab him to death?

You don't even have to go that far, you get a burst of the same response by even getting close to a fight, we have all been there, a situation where you and some unkown person are about 3 cat hairs from exchanging blows, but your verbal judo gets you back into the car and out of there safe and sound, no physical harm but man oh man your hands are shaking like hell on the steering wheel.

Just for the record it was not just a stab on tai chi, it was just an example, for all I know certain people may do there tai chi very different from the general crowd, maybe guys like shooter, but it also includes systema, aikido, or any method were it is very anchored in remaining as relaxed as possible.
    Regards

I'm saying that you can learn to relax under pressure in a fight. It creates a "thinking" fighter. I can't explain it, but I do know the training works. At least in William CC Chen's system. But then, we were learning to relax with people trying to punch us in ther head.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Like any other thing in the martial arts, it takes specific, goal-oriented training.

BJ.

Not sure what exatly you are asking.

IMA tend to be "relaxed" even during combat, now this is not a limb totally relaxed state as so many would assume.

Also forget that the forms are only the initial training stage where you develop correct attributes and body mechanics.

Later on the pressure gets turned up during Fast forms, 2-man forms (if available), Tui Shou, San Shou and other practices.

That naturally being if you learn from a good teacher.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

the more often you get into situations where you get big adrenaline dumps the better you will learn to handle them.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

But then, we were learning to relax with people trying to punch us in ther head.- WaterDragon

Thats a good way to learn as any.

The key to a response mechanism lies in the nature of the training. In unarmed combat training IMO there should be just enough stress to provoke an adrenal reaction so the player becomes more accustomed to fighting under such conditions as best he can under relative "safe training" conditions.

I think that is a key term there. Relative safe training conditions. Conditions which as we all know do not address what happens psychologicaly in an outside enviroment to the total degree. I understand trying to maintain some relaxation and flow to one's training but striving to remain locked on the idea of relaxed and peacefull in motion as if you have a choice to your rythem when biological science says otherwise is IMO a bit futile for the common joe if not for darn "near" everybody. This being specific to an outside-unknown enviroment where those safe training conditions can no longer apply. Where you no longer can feel comfortable.

I think you see this best when some gents who are wathcing a traditional tourney go...."that does not look like gong fu.....that looks like kickboxing!!!!"

Why......well maybe because it has to do with the stress reaction and that under these forces of stress and fear a fighter is deprived of much of his capacity for rational and decisive thought and resorts to more instinctive gross motor physical actions.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Black Jack; 08-01-2003 at 03:34 PM.
    Regards

Well, yeah.

But the more you work in high-stress conditions, the less the chemicals have an 'automatic' affect on your system and muscles etc as a whole, no?

So long term [correct] training (over years) with relaxation and calmness and control etc in mind (and in practice and application) should result with more and more 'relaxation', 'calmness', and 'control' in those sorts of higher stress situations?

There is a difference between tensing up in addition to being in (and affected by) a high stress situation, and not tensing up but still being in (and affected by) a high stress situation?

strike!

How is this any different than someone saying "Everytime someone grabs me I lock up and start breathing heavy and get exhausted, so isn't BJJ useless?"

Or: "Everytime someone takes a swing at me, I just flinch bigtime: close my eyes, tense up and retract my guard, so boxing is clearly useless."

??
    Last edited by Christopher M; 08-01-2003 at 03:55 PM.

BJJ and Boxing are Martial Styles that emphasize relaxation just as much as any other martial style you could name.

FYI.

I dont think there is really such thing as a soft style.

strike!

Aikido, Systema and Tai Chi have a deeper core of relaxed elements. Lets not beat around the bush.

Take the flinch for example. It is a often natural response in a suprise situation. You are not going to send it away unless you are into rewiring yourself with biofeedback. You can turn the flinch into a defensive measure though by addressing it and doing some modifications to the response.

An example would be to use it as a cover. Kinda like a silat bone-shield or high boxing guard.

I am not saying that using relaxation principles are bad, just that the body gives us a different roadmap to work with, having a whole approach bend against that grain seems to be going up a hard road.
    Regards

You're not gonna train away the flinch? Really?

Who would want to train away the flinch? All I am saying is that you can address it like a guard. I want the flinch. Give me more flinch.
    Regards

I think those systems do alot of talking about relaxation, the point of the matter is correct body mechanics and body mechanic principles.

A seasoned stylist from one of those 'arts' wouldent tell anyone there is no muscle or tension involved.

I think the flinch has much to do with awareness more then anything else. If you're surprized, then your surprized.

strike!