Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Fiction

Haven't sent it in yet. I'm gonna wait til Thursday to do the last proofread/edit, then I plan to send it in by Saturday.

I've actually gotten quite a bit of writing done in the last few weeks, its amazing how this short story deal has supercharged my writing. I've made an intinerary for myself as far as a career planner, hit the books to study literary style/do's and don'ts, proper submittal etiquette, etc.

By the way, do you ever go on The Writer's BBS? Its the most active forum I've found for writers, and its been very handy. The bulk of the forum is free, though there's a $15 fee to get a year long membership, and it looks like the member's only forums involve critiqueing each other's works, etc. I might fork out the money once I get some copyrights in place for my book.

RA Salvatore anyone?

Not directly a martial arts fiction writer, but a lot of his books involved intricite fight scenes and such. The drow elf (fantasy) Dritzz D' Orden (sorry about the spelling) always has well written battle scenes. The Cleric Quintet series with RA Salvatore also has a few martial artists in it ...and of course there are many battles. If you haven't read anything by him I would encourage you to start with the Dark Elf series then the Iceland Dale (or the reverse is fine).

Iron fist (the comic book) was pretty cool at the time too.

A great read!

Musashi
    by Eiji Yoshikawa (Translated by Charles Terry)
    Hardcover Reprint edition (May 1995)
    Kodansha International; ISBN: 4770019572

A fictionalized account of the life of Miyamoto Musashi that has all the elements of great fiction. Terry's translations is - as always with this respected linguist and scholar - highly readable and perfectly captures the tone and style of the original. The story is exciting and the martial arts are exactly described, as Japanese audiences expected in this popular serialization of one of their favorite icons. Professor Edwin O. Reischauer's introduction is all you need to jump into a work of fiction that will excite, thrill and ultimately satisfy as a pseudo-realistic representation of martial arts in 17th century Japan. There is much to satisfy the Zen student, as well, but very little in the way of esoteric mysticism. Musashi's only power - in this novel - is the refinement of his inner self using the vehicle of bushido.

Hope you enjoy it!

KC, Master Pan is not my sifu. Thats all i'm going to say about that.

I Loved the Drizzt do'Urden series! I read many of those books. (Jow Ga's signature weapons are the double broadswords, so there is a kindered feeling in regards to the style of a fight.)

Thumbs up

Aramus,
    I don't know how I forgot about Drizzt Do'Urden! Definitely a big thumbs up to that one!
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

a couple good books ya might like

There were some mystery novels written in the 40's by a Dutch author (name escapes me now), who was a law and history scholar who lived and studied in China...The stories are based on the real life and legends of a Chinese court judge in the Ming (i think...its been a while) period, named Judge Dee.
    One of his best books was: 'The Bell Murders' ...very cool stuff, lots of kung fu (this guy must have been exposed to quite a bit and trained, cause he has great descriptions), wacky characters and great depiction of life in that time period.

Another fave i mentioned to you in another thread awhile back is called 'Chronicles of Tao', by Deng Ming Dao, a biography of a monk thats heavy on the fiction, but entertaining reading with lots of good Taoist philosophy. If you didnt get around to reading that, I'd recommend it.

I haven't been to that forum, but was given an address of a writer's forum by PM. That might have been it. What's the address?

I'm pretty much done with my first submission. My sister has a few more pages left to edit, and then I'll make the corrections and send it off.

She's brutal too.... everything from "I don't think this is the word you meant.." to "that sounds dumb"

LOL

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

I hate the Anita Blake novels, just to torture myself I swam through that man-hating filth untell I could no longer stand it anymore.

IMHO they are the worst written horror novels in the last 5 years, pure "I am women, here me roar" puke, could the women get anymore unoriginal?????????

Sorry, touched on a author I can not stand.
    Regards

Check out the "Quiller" books by Adam Hall, especially "The Mandarin Cypher". They all incorporate martial arts within the plots--usually when Quiller is in a fight for his life.
    K. Mark Hoover

Ryu

Try: http://writersbbs.com/forums/

Another cool site is http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm

Unfortunately, I am incapable of posting a link, so you'll have to click and paste, unless someone can explain it to me in very small words, very slowly.

Holy guano batman, it worked!!!

"Another fave i mentioned to you in another thread awhile back is called 'Chronicles of Tao', by Deng Ming Dao, a biography of a monk thats heavy on the fiction, but entertaining reading with lots of good Taoist philosophy"

My sifu trained in Qigong under Kwan Saihung. That book does have allot of fiction, I'd actually like to know how much. I all I know for sure was that he was a monk on Huashan other than that I don't know.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Mutant,
    I haven't read that book yet, but thanks for the repitition(not sarcastic, seriously, sometimes these things need to be pounded into my brain). I'll have to check it out.

I'm pretty partial to the Wing Chun history story. I know its fiction but it had some truths and that was way back when everyone actually believed it. I think it had around 13 chapters? and i dont remember what site i read it on but it was truly entertaining. Went through all the successors from Nun Ng Mui through to Yip Man.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

check out Samurai Jack on the cartoon network. It is a little series of cartoons about a great warrior fighting evil. Cool plot and extremly funny moments!