Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Fiction

Chronicles Of Tao by Deng Ming Dao is awesome. It's a novelised autobiography of Kwan Saihung, so you have to decide how much of it is fiction. Highly recommneded.

Also, www.cyberkwoon.com have a short fiction section on their site and all the stories are MA related one way or another. Some of them are pretty good.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Cyberkwoon has a martial arts fiction page; I even have a couple of stories there myself. Otherwise, not too much MA fiction is around because it's such a narrowly specialized genre the major publishing houses aren't willing to take much of a chance on it....
    K. Mark Hoover

Martial Arts Fiction

Does anyone know of any good Martial Arts Fiction with a Chinese Martial Arts focus? Could we start a sticky thread for CMA Martial Arts Fiction books and graphic novels (descriptions and reviews) ?

This is a huge genre

If you look at the tradition of wuxia books (mostly in Chinese) there's a ton of stuff. Check out Jin Yong (aka Louis Cha). Plus there's the historical classics like Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Outlaws of the Marsh, et.al. Another big serial is the Judge Dee stuff, translated by Robert Hans Van Gulik.

If you want modern stuff, there's a lot of vanity published books, mostly of mediocre quality. YMAA has published some fiction by Arthur Rosenfeld, who writes for us occasionally (see The Fisherman on our e-zine). That's just for starters...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

"Qi Sha Wu Yi" is available in English Translation. I have a copy; it's a classic of Wuxia but not as well known as Shuihuzhuan
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Here's a link to an English language Wu Xia graphic novel distributor:

http://www.yellowbridge.com/literature/wuxiacomics.php

I personally like the European style of comic book, myself... here are a couple of French language ones, but maybe you can find them in English.

Bruce Kid (this one's pretty funny, I hope they continue the series)
    http://www.bamboo.fr/catalogue/bruce...-story-20.html

Chinn (haven't read it yet, but will review it when I do.)
    http://www.bamboo.fr/catalogue/chinn...story-148.html

I'm of the opinion that Graphic Novels are the evolution of literature, and when it comes to Martial Arts stories, the medium is perfect.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I have one graphic novel... well... it's actually a trade serialization of a limited-run comic. I bought it because a friend told me about how good it was...

The seven volume book was a worthy time-killer but not great literature. Give me an old-fashioned novel and I'm happy.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

there's a good love story called "fuk so lung" i'd look it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

wuxiapedia.com for fan translations. Great stuff. Jin Yong. Gu Long. TONS of stuff.

wuxiapedia

i actually posted a thread about this only zen****e responded thou and it died. check it out

More people should pay attention to doug. And to Wuxia fiction.

That thread has 165 views...

...just because people don't reply doesn't mean they're not paying attention.

If we're going to go into graphic novels, there's Jademan, of course. We were associated with a graphic novel group, Comics One, that did Shaolin Soccer in graphic novel form, along with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, My Sassy Girl and Hero, as well as some non-film titles. Comics One was also based here in Fremont, CA. We even ran a piece on it in our 2003 Nov/Dec Issue: Andy Seto, Comics One and Shaolin Soccer Kung Fu Comics By Shawn Sanders. The company went belly-up a few years ago. Apparently there wasn't much call for kung fu comics. We carried several of their titles at the time but nothing really sold.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

HK comics

comics one sold there titles to a company called hk comics which capped off the rest of there books like the crouching tiger book which was so far superior to the movie its without words, and there was the four constables which i thought was amazing, and would really love to do a movie about some day(it would made an awesome wuxia film). couple of other graphic novels i liked from them. you can still buy them if you know where to go. big cities always have the best comic book spots. but i been to some small towns uin the fly over states(or square states as i like to call them) that have some great collections to.

DRMaster has actually taken over from HKcomics too. HKcomics seems to have turned into a Christian manga publishing house only doing evangelical comics and even trying to evangelize via inserts into Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon!

Anyways, DRMaster is currently running the King of Fighters books and Tale of a Chinese Hero. You can still get the ComicsOne titles that haven't been continued elsewhere from them though. http://www.cubicmall.com/store/othercomics.html

That said, you can download a free ebook of Romance of the Three Kingdoms here http://threekingdoms.com/download.htm
    Last edited by Zenshiite; 09-25-2008 at 11:32 AM.

I've recently been downloading a bunch of books... the entire translation of Jin Yong's The Book & The Sword is available on the translater's website and on a Vietnamese website that has bunch of other stuff. Gu Long's Lu Xiao Feng and other stuff. http://www.stackmedia.com/vietkiem.html Look for the "Kung Fu in English" link.