Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shanghai Knights

The first one is way better.
    I don't like the music in Shanghai Knights, and the Donnie Yen/ Jackie Chan fight was wayyyyy too short.

I just saw it monday, and I thought it was pretty good (although I could've done without the wirework and some of Owen Wilson's routines wore on me a bit, and I don't think Fann whatsername is very attractive at all.)

The best part of the flick for me was all the goofy allusions to Hollywood classics, like I mentioned in the fight scene thread. Not just the "Singin' in the Rain" and "Keystone Kop" tributes, but the replay of the Harold Lloyd clock stunt (which Jackie has redone before, in "Project A," I think) but also the excellent final duel - which was very reminiscent of good old Doug Fairbanks and the nods to Charlie Chaplin, Sherlock Holmes, and the Mummy.

Also, the ridiculous anarchronisms of music and speech made me giggle instead of cringe.

It was a pretty good comedy, with some very good action. And I agree that the extended version of the Jackie/Donnie fight should have made the final cut. Heck, so should the final sword duel and the complete library fight scene (loved the guard's protectiveness of the valuable artifacts!)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Mine came in today.. I'll watch it after class tonight, on our 82" screen....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Mine came in today.. I'll watch it after class tonight, on our 82" screen....
    Turning green with envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

the projector is pretty **** crisp... not the best in the world, but definitely better than most (except the ones that are 10,000).....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Wow, I thought it was overall pretty good, I would have liked to seen the longer fight scenes... The love story part sucked though.
    practice wu de

the swordfight at the end was spectacular. that white guy was really REALLY good. but what is this Donny character everyone is on about? are you talking about the same fight?
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Donnie Yen played the guy who wanted to usurp the Imperial throne of China. He's a well-known movie badass in HK, less well known but greatly appreciated by certain connissuiers (or however that's spelled) of kicks to the head in the US. The fight was pretty cool because it started with both of 'em lying on their back to stay under the machine gun, then bust out onto the raft where they went at it with sticks.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

I watched the movie and was really disappointed. Then I read this thread and went back and watched the extended fight scenes. Why were they cut down so much? They made the movie much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Beats me. I can't imagine who'd go to a Jackie Chan movie and says "It was ok, but there was too much kungfu."
    Crippled Avenger

believe it or not i have actualy seen people complain about jackie chan/Jet Li movies having too much fighting. I mean thats like going to an arnie movie and complaining that there was too many explosions.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."