Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys get out of a choke ?

"If I can not get one of my knives"

lol.
    So you carry multiple knives regularly?

Yeah, in a street situation, dont play. cut that fool. Ive seen a lot of "escapes" that just put stress on your neck and look silly if your actually in a choke.

Not trying to be funny or rude but....

...by not getting into one.

It's about reading your opponent. If you are in a situation where being choked or wrestled is possible, real or sparring, prepare yourself so that your assailant(s) do(es) not get the chance to use one. Remember, an opponent has to achieve two things before he can actually choke you:

He has to get close enough
    He has to have enough leverage

There are a ton of redirection, striking, planting techniques that can be done before he can accomplish those things. For me it's vital since I never learned ground techniques or hold/choke reversals. Once grabbed, listen to the other guys in this thread .
    Last edited by Universal Stance; 08-12-2003 at 08:03 AM.
    I take a Neutral Stance with the Martial Arts. Then I chain punch.

"the power of the tigress is the leopard in the spiritual" Sifu Andy-sensei as quoted by Mega_Fist

I meant mongoloid... look it up, stupid. bodhitree to Mega_Fist

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Legend, my hip to my knee seems shorter than the length from my waist (male) to my clavicles. To hit thighs or groin when my head is locked beside the opponent my knees would seem to need to be at least an inch longer than the length from my hip to my clavicles.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries
    BlackJack, basically, one cannot effectively knee someone in the back when that person is face down in a headlock.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

That is the second time people have confused what I was trying to get at so it must be how it was written. What I mean by and tried to get across by knee strikes to the back was from a rear strangle on the standing entry.

If I have the gent on his stomach, be it in a headlock or rear choke, the knee to the back would be a lever to add pressure on the crank, hope this helps.

My main point being that if approached from the role of a determined attacker, meaning how would "you" go about slapping on this tech in the street with the intent to bring your attacker down and out as fast and as ruthless as possible I don't think a person first response would be just to wrap a choke on and stand realtively still. Something I am sure other people have seen in certain training schools.

It means just treat the hold as if you would do it to damage.
    Regards

Originally posted by No_Know
    Legend, my hip to my knee seems shorter than the length from my waist (male) to my clavicles. To hit thighs or groin when my head is locked beside the opponent my knees would seem to need to be at least an inch longer than the length from my hip to my clavicles.
    Did you try it?

When you loop the inside arm over the attackers shoulder the range is closer. You can drive in off either knee but will need to spread your base with one leg forward. Where your feet are placed will determine the range.

If you are at a range to give your opponent a good old fashioned hug you should have be in a range to knee.

Blog Entries
    "No Know- I would agree with that if the choke is not fully set in yet but it only takes a fraction of a second to secure a choke and once that choke is in place it is going to be very hard to peel away as a determined attacker is going to be slamming you around, you will start to lose air/blood, which means you could panic, even more if the attacker is using his body as a weapon, such as kneeing you in the back, stomping on the back of your knee, dropping his weight down onto the back of your neck to control your actions."

I do not think you were unclear. I get from at least the above that you want people to understand that chokes are imobilizing and there is little to no hope of getting out when you are in one solidly. That knees to the back Are used and viciously.

In trying to help us understand, You must not have looked at all you were saying. It kind of seems to me.

I realize that you were talking about choke from the rear because you said so.

Any confusion might be from the Fact that I was commenting on the non-from the rear headlock.

The headlock where the victim was facing the ground but on his feet.

The headlock in which their butt is sticking out! because they are bent forward.

Since their back is parallel~ to the ground but 2½~feet up. My face squinches, when you tell me you put your knee to their backs (impossible when you are both facing opposite directions).

I re-read some of your posts and in at least one you indicate, stomach on the ground...if (which is what you added, but was not in the original post nor my first post here, yet the things you seemed to be commenting from) the stomach was on the ground Where do get commenting on HEADLOCK, Stomach opn the ground.

But Your General point Brutal and fast really bad situation, knees to the back from the rear or from the side~? when on the ground puts an added hurt on a person, this was communicated to me.
    Last edited by No_Know; 08-18-2003 at 08:06 AM.

Yea,

I see where the confusion was because of my first post. I did not clarify that I was just in reference to the rear naked from the standing....knees-low line kicks....to a headlock from which you would be bent over.

By head lock I was in reference to straight down on your stomach position, but I should of made that more clear in the first post.

Either way my point still remains on how diffcult I believe it is to remove a choke/hold when the attacker is not just holding you but using the grip as a damaging attack by itself. With a headlock as they used to do it in the bare knuckle era it was alos called a cross buttock throw and was used to really whip the attacker down or around. If that down or around includes a wall into the top of your skull than that adds a bit of umph to the headlock.

Making the hold a little harder to get out of with intricate strips when the mofo is swinging you around or using the headlock to punch you in your face.

Cheers
    Regards

Find a grappling instructor to teach you to avoid and defend the choke. It is a very effective move and my favorite......lol

Grab one of their fingers with both of your hands. Break it. Repeat as necessary.
    Just one technique.

"Grab one of their fingers with both of your hands. Break it. Repeat as necessary.
    Just one technique."

How do you practice this? I hope it works when you need it!

It can work but I want to be able to stay out of the choke if possible, that is the best defense.
    You can buy muscles(steroids), But you can't buy cajones. Bas Rutten

Blog Entries
    Defense happens when you prevent it from finishing.

Countering happenens when you are in it and you get out or at least break it.

If It doesn't start that happens to be Safety.

Keeping safe, can be work. But it's not just work. It is an achievement. Achievement happens, within moments, within moments.

Kung-Fu.

I No_Know-ish

Perhaps some-such some might say. Whatever whatever very good.

Originally posted by chokemaster
    "Grab one of their fingers with both of your hands. Break it. Repeat as necessary.
    Just one technique."

How do you practice this? I hope it works when you need it!

It can work but I want to be able to stay out of the choke if possible, that is the best defense.
    Have your partner choke you, grab one of their fingers with both your hands. Bend it but don't break it. Breaking other peoples bones doesn't make for good practice.

"HOW DO YOU GET OUT OF A CHOKE?"

Hit them with your purse.

I black out, fall over, and rely heavily on the notion that, beneath the harsh exterior, my opponent has a wellspring of basic human benevolence.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.