Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the best style for quick and powerful self defense?

Andy Johnson Guest

Whats the best style for quick and powerful self defense?

Whats the best style for quick and powerful self defense?

MASTERMAN Guest

A good question from a young person....

I recommend Traditional Kenpo in your area contact Dave Simmons twindragondave@hotmail.com

You will learn fast powerful techniques for self defense and the martial art.

You Have The Power,

Dave S :cool:

Budokan Guest
    Quick and powerful self-defense, no frills, no flowery moves, no wasted motion? Shotokan. For a CMA I would suggest Wing Chun.

K. Mark Hoover

HuangKaiVun Guest
    When fighting, don't think too much and just fight.

Any martial art style you learn will be helpful if you train it in that manner.

GinSueDog Guest
    It's hard to find any traditional school that offers proper full contact training. I would suggest either a local kickboxing or boxing gym or if grappling is more your flavor then a local Judo club.-ED

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Tigerdragon Guest

fast self defense huh?

Well, there really is no best style. They all have their merits. I personally recommend Ed Parker's American Kenpo or A.K.K.I. American Kenpo
    They are very closely related (since A.K.K.I. came out of Ed Parker's Kenpo) and are both centered around real life self defense. However, most styles of traditional Karate and even Kung Fu will work well on the street. For maximum benefit I would recomend crosstrianing in both a stricking art (Kenpo, Kung Fu, Karate) and a groundfighting art like Brazillian Jujitsu or akido. I say this because your best bet is to stop the attacker while standing up (where a striking art is most effective), but in case you do end up on the ground you kneed a good knowledge of how to fight there as well.
    Anyway, I hope I have been of some help.

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind, be ready, and go full force.

Kevin73 Guest
    If all you want is quick and powerful, I wouldn't even worry about styles learn about 5 techniques and work on perfecting them against an opponent.

1) Front thrust kick (pelvic area)
    2) vertical punch (solar plexus, head)
    3) spear hand (throat, eyes)
    4) vertical knee (groin, sides of leg)
    5) elbow strike (ribs, chest, head)

You can take out any untrained person if you truly understand all of those techniques. NOW, if you want to be able to handle trained people or people with streetfighting experience then I would find a good school and join.

In my experience with Kenpo it is mainly concerned with the untrained person who steps with his left and throws a right punch (yes there is more, but at the beginning at least in my training this is what it was). My experience in my other art is more concerned with training you from the start against another trained fighter and then you use those principles for an untrained person as well, but it takes a little longer.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Shuai Chiao

There is an old Chinese saying that translates as "One year of Shuai Chiao is better than three years of other fist arts."

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

kenpoman Guest
    "In my experience with Kenpo it is mainly concerned with the untrained person who steps with his left and throws a right punch (yes there is more..."

You're right. There's more.

LEGEND Guest
    In general a striking art and a grappling art!
    Boxing, muy thai=striking.
    wrestling, bjj=grappling.

Please judge according to your body structure and weather you like CONTACT! I use to be a BANGER so I use to do boxing and muy thai...as I got older( 26 LOL )...my body couldn't take the banging...hurt back and all...so I became more and more a grappler! It ultimately depends on you!

A

Scott Guest

Glock-Fu.

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

Robinf Guest
    Boxing or REAL kickboxing

LEGEND Guest
    SCOTT answer is surprisingly correct also...I'm a future police officer...so I would have to say...a gun can intimidate 80% of an opponent out there...the problem is in most fight enviornments...bars, clubs, and restaurants...u're not allowed to bring one in!

A

Kevin73 Guest

To Kenpoman

Kenpoman--

I was just curious what branch/style of Kenpo you are studying? My experience has been through Dr. La Tourette's style.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

Martial Joe Guest
    I havent taken any other martial arts besides Wing Chun but it has worked great for me,maybe that can help you.