Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Whats the best style for quick and powerful self defense?

MixedMartialArtist Guest

a bit of everything

I completely agree with what San*****a said. The fewer techniques you have and the better you know them, the less confusion you will face in a fight and the better you will do. Being well-rounded is also key. Study a little bit of everything (kicking/striking as well as grappling/pressure points) and you'll be prepared for most of the self-defense situations you'll encounter.

eviljungle Guest

The correct answer

The only answer worth reading is SLC's.

BAI HE Guest

Ed Parker's Kenpo...

will also get you into fighting shape mentally and physically pretty fast. They train like madmen and like top athlete's. The belt tests are KILLER.
    They make you earn 'em. There's nothing like earning a Kenpo belt. You'll walk out of there pumped, 5 pounds lighter(from fluid loss) and feeling like you can walk on water.

You will also be one of the sorest Mutha's the next day!!!!!!!!

totallyfrozen Guest

Bang!

I saw that there were some earlier posts referring to having a gun. One of the posts was put up by someone who apparantly is in some kind of training to become a police officer. I would have expected a different answer from a person studying law enforcement...but whatever...

Here's what I would say on the subject of guns. True, guns are intimidating (and for a good reason). I am NOT opposed to guns or gun ownership...I own at least 6 of them (and I only have 2 hands...does that make me a fanatic?). However....

As far as police are concerned...let's remember that the police UNIFORM is just as much a part of the intimidation as the presence of the gun. People are not, generally, intimidated by police because they carry guns (police officers rarely pull their guns out)...they are intimidated by them simply because they ARE POLICE. They have authority.
    Joe Public carrying a gun does not have any recognized authority. The gun can bring him SOME authority...but it will be more of a bully's authority.

The other thing is that there is no "non-lethal" use of a gun. Don't be fooled by the movies. As an Emergency Medical Technician, I can tell you that ANY gun shot wound can be life threatening...even the "shoot 'em in the leg" type. You have large arteries in all of your limbs and in your torso and it doesn't take long to bleed to death from a gun shot wound in the leg.

Not to mention...you might not know your opponent. There is a possibility that your opponent could be ex-military or otherwise trained to take your gun away and kill you with it.

The use of a gun in combat requires as much training as a Martial Art does...don't let anyone make you think differently. Yeah, punks and gangs use guns all the time...but how accurately do they seem to shoot? Not too accurately considering how many innocent by-standers get shot in the course of a gun fight. The police are a much better example of how to use a gun in a populated area. They only shoot when they have a clear shot of the target. They shoot two (2) bullets at a time from a handgun(not 17) or 3 from an M-16 or submachinegun--if it's a really nasty fight (not 32 bullets or however many). Shotguns are used only in certain circumstances (like the assault rifles and submachineguns) because their rounds "scatter". Police always consider the "over penetration" of the bullet. Meaning they always consider what is BEHIND the target and where the bullet will go if it misses or passes THROUGH the target. And they always fire from a covered position if at all possible.
    So...again...there is alot of training involved in the proper use of a gun for defense.

Perhaps, the previous comments were made in fun...but just in case some naive person wandering the 'Net should read them. I wanted to make a few more reality-based comments on it.

Guns don't kill people....people kill people. ;)

"There is only ONE karate"

toddbringewatt Guest
    Well put. True.

may the force be with you

yin lion Guest

I say poast and couldn't help but respond

I looked and there were 64 responces that reminded me threr are 64 hexagrams. which are derived from all combos of the eight tri-grams. My responce is just that eight tri-gram palm (bagua). sence the style is inturnal it has much more power than an strictly exturnal style. also I would sugest yin style (that which I do) and the lion system of yin style, due to the VERY agressive moves most often called mean by my pers. in the phicial movements you plow through the attacker breaking his root and tossing him into his head or sholder breaking it. sounds mean does it not.

you must unlearn what you have learned then and only then will you be wise and have knolage

azwingchun Guest

Quickest style to learn and be effective

I am sure some people will diagree with me on this, since it seems that the average new students seems to want immediate results. It seems to be a common question I get when I get a new student-"How long will have to do this to become street effective?" I will tell you this question is very understandable but I also cringe when I have this asked by a brand new student. I feel he/she is already counting thier days to quit training once they feel they know enough. I actually had this said to me by a very cocky student once. This student just one day stopped coming to class and when I inquired why he left he said that he had learned enough. By the way he trained with me maybe 3-4 months. I couldn't believe this, since with the many years I have trained in martial arts I still look at myself as a student and always will be.

In my opinion I will say I believe with the right teacher Wing Chun is one of the easiest systems to learn and to become street effective quickly, though it isn't something you go to class once or twice a week for 3-4 months and know enough (as it was put to me).

Though don't get me wrong I personally believe we can and should learn from other systems, whether they be traditional or the average street fighter or boxer at the local gym. The statement I give to these types of students is it isn't how fast or how much you learn it is what you learn. Not to mention the quality of what you learn, which is obviously in most cases determined by who you choose as an instructor. And no I am not speaking about who has the best lineage or most famous teacher or how much you spend. I for one can tell you my best training came out of a park, garage or a back yard by not so well known instructors (at least outside of the region they were teaching).

I for one believe some styles are better than others, though it isn't always the art as the practitioner. What I mean by this is though one may not be a TKD fan I promise you there are though within that system that will woop it up with the best from any other system.IMHO. I believe this to be true with any system vs. another. :D

Laine Nakachi Guest

Little Chain Monkey

What's the best style for quick and powerful self defense.

< Little Chain Monkey,

Actually,you need a combination of a system which contains hand to hand combat
    like kung fu and kempo,and joint locking or joint breaking techniques like chin na or jujutsu.
    Throwing techniques like judo or shuai chiao ( Chinese version of throwing )
    Grappling such as Bjj or chin na ( the chinese version of grappling .

So actually ,you need to learn the arts that contains these components.
    To make yourself completely trained in all aspects of combat.
    And attach them together,and you have a complete martial arts system.

Kempo or kung fu already contains joint locks or joint breaking techniques.
    And take downs.
    Wing Chun itself contains grappling,so you need to learn throwing techniques.

And if you do have a chance to spar or experiment with a partner or a friend.
    Do so,you also need to get accustomed and adjusted to the techniques,you're learning.

Best thing to do is to avoid the confrontations.
    If cannot then you're going to have to do what you,really don't want to do.
    Blast the attacker,but finnish the attacker off as soon as you can,other wise
    your energy going be drained.

Condition yourself both mentally and physically.

Develop drills which is design for your self defense techniques.
    Example: If your attacker throws a right hook at your face.
    What's the best way to defend against that right hook,and so on .
    So in your mind,you need to fantasize these things happening,and if you been practicing your self defense techniques ,
    the answer will pop up in your mind .
    If your attacker moves in a certain way,what are the ways you can use against your attackers moves.
    It's the man who makes the art,not the art makes the man.
    If you find a way to make your system better do it, you may benefit ,from it.

Take Care and goodluck ,

Fe luk

SanSoo Student Guest

Instant striking

Kung Fu SanSoo is in my opinion the best for street fighting. I have trained in this art for 12 years, and hold a 2nd degree black belt. I still remember my first day there, I learned how to elbow a guy in the neck, then follow by a rake in the eyes and knee in the groin. In my first day, I just learned how to kill, and blind an attacker coming with a punch to the face.

taijiquan_student Guest
    Training for realistic situations is one of the most important aspects of kungfu training. I of course like taijiquan for self defense, otherwise I wouldn't study it, but I would never say something so ridiculous as calling one art the best art for street fighting.
    Having established that realistic training is important, I ask you all about the whole of martial arts training. Yes, these arts were (and still are)used in life and death situations, but they also strengthen your body, give you more energy, flexibility, better structure, and hopefully, calmness in difficult situations.
    Although training for combat is key to the martial arts, I think we can get a little carried away with learning to kill people, or too excited about it. There is much more to martial arts than eye-ripping, throat-crushing, and groin smashing. Not that you shouldn't learn these skills, but SanSoo Student, if someone punches you, will you really want to blind them for life? Why would you want to tear someone's eyes out, or elbow them in the throat? You might have to do this in a life or death situation, but seriously, do you really think you'll need to kill people?
    There is more to martial arts then killing. I can go buy an Ashida Kim(hahaha) book to learn places to stab people, take a few months of BJJ and Boxing, and be better than any average person at fighting. But that doesn't mean I have any sort o****, or real, deep skill. It just seems you(SanSoo Student) get a little carried away with learning how to kill people who punch you. But then again, I'm probably wrong.
    Just my thoughts,
    --T.S.

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Nin-Po-Dragon Guest

The Best Style !

A good effective style? Try either Tiger style kung fu, Wing Chun, Hung gar or traditional Japanese Bujinkan Nin Po Tai Jutsu (ninjutsu).
    If u are really serious about training-Ninjutsu is definately the best for winning any fight without the type of aggression that these other styles I mentioned have. But they are all pretty good, but u shouldnt do all of them!