Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the best style for quick and powerful self defense?

Groundking1 Guest
    BJJ and more BJJ fro groundwwork.
    Stand Up-
    Kungfu-White Eyebrow, Dragon, Choy Lee Fut
    Wing chun(NOT)
    Karate-Goju, Uechi Ryu, Kyukuoshin
    Shotokan(NOT)
    And Muay Thai.

Sochin Guest

Well...

All and none !

All styles contain within them the real capacity for self defense hidden in a lot of other stuff that a body can do (art) but shouldn't do in a fight.

The trick is too find these things inside the art you practice and then practice them from a self defense, not a "martial art" pov.

So, I tend to agree with Kevin A. Hirakis, except (of course) my list is a little different in its choices of the most lethal / most efficient strikes.

The only blow that I can't seem to find in classical styles anywhere is the cqc chin jab, a driving of the palm heel straight up into the chin with the hand pointed back to towards yourself...of course palm heel strikes are common and easily modified to this particular form but as a technique in a classical form / kata, it is elusive.

If you know the strike and know a form with this strike in it, please let me know!`

<A HREF="http://]pacificcoast.net/~ttruscott" TARGET=_blank>The Fighting Old Man
    </A>Ï

chisauking Guest

fighting without fighting.

The most effective and most efficient way to defend yourself is the ancient art of running. Let's face it, most fights can be avoided if the victim is brave enough to run away, but most don't because they feel ashamed or think it's cowardly to run away.

Even if you are good enough to stand your ground and actaully fight, there are always some consequences of your action. Most trouble makers that are intent on causing trouble have some sort of genetic defects, and even if you give them a good beating, they will try to seek their revenge in other ways. I speak from experience.

So, if you want to learn the most effective method to defend yourself in the shortest time possible, run young man. RUN.

However, if you are not man enough to run away, try genuine Thai Boxing. Believe it or not, most Hong Kong traid members learn Thai boxing because the enforcers can get their soldiers to fight in the shortest time possible. Think about it; they can't wait 3-years to train their members in something like wing chun or choy-li fut.

JerryLove Guest
    Why have we sunk so low that a question like this has started a discussion?

Leimeng Guest
    With little to no doubt in my mind, the best styles for quick and powerful self defense are Hsing I, P'a K'ua, Silat, Escrima, Praying Mantis, or Shuai Chiao.
    Probably in that order.

However, if you are learning from an instructor who is a crock, then what ever you learn is worthless. IMHO, lots of instructors in most arts are not worth their salt. (I am sure that that is at least a little gasoline to the fire.)

If you don't practice by yourself consistantly, you are deceiving yourself. Generally speaking, I find that a person needs to practice a given technique into the thousands of repetitions before they can realize some of the capablities in their arts.

Of course, I have a glock 40 that is quite fast and powerful....

Peace

yi beng, kan xue

Martial Joe Guest

Groundking1

how come you listed Wing Chun and Shotokan and then put "(not)" next to them?

Joe

sblano Guest
    I have heard this & asked 1000 times . let me tell you a secret. There is no best or quick way to develop a weapon if you want quick buy a gun also all the styles have somthing good to offer in the selfdefence. one more note somtimes it is not the style that matters but the person behind the style .good luck

iblis73 Guest

This ones the best...

...best system anyway, not the best STYLE. Check out Tony bluauers chu fen do (he has a website.)I would recomend any of his videos, the Panther series is a good one. He trains pure street reality in ways that have blown me away. He develops basic tools,attributes,psychology,and some of the most realistic confrontation drills you'll ever find. For "quickie" self defense it is the best hands down. As for what you would want for a styel....you have a buffet of choices!

magicfist Guest
    kung fu san soo

Aquaines Guest

u got to go with what works.

I'm not as strong as anybody that tries to fight me on the street, but then again, I'm given the advantage.It seems to me that u're looking for that same advatage.I've gained it by studying Traditional Wing Chun Kung Fu.no blocks, just redirections and extrememly fast powerful attk's/counters.
    whatever u practice with Sifu,works on the street-period-
    defending:fists,pipes,bricks,sticks,bats,knives,gu ns,u're covered.
    no wasted movements,no flowery forms.It's a for real combat system that(trust me) actally works on the streets.

gazza99 Guest

Which one?

I have tried dozens of styles. The worst are styles like Tao kwon do, SHOTOKAN, any okinowin style, or "hard style" . A hard style is one which is stiff, and has no fluidity or economy of movement. I believe all Jap., okinowin styles fit the hard style description no matter how you try and get around it. Chinese styles are by far the best, but even they can be hard..hung-gar for instance, or shaolin. If you practice a hard style and have to defend yourself against a good streetfighter, or boxer, you will most likely loose! Or the bigger guy will win.
    The best styles I've seen so far are: Dim-Mak(death touch) as taught by Master Erle Montaigue www.taijiworld.com, dimmak comes from taijiquan(tai chi), however few people know the true martial applications. Baguazhang is good, hsing-i chuan, wing-chun is also ok. Bruce lee studied chinese arts..he was fluid-quick-and powerfull , look for these qualities.

Seeker of the Way Guest

Wing Tsun

Here in Denmark, a new school has popped up, called Wing Tsun. It's basically a variant where they have eliminated the philosophy and internal elements of classic Wing Chun, and emphasize on a total all-out attack until your opponent is disabled or dead. To this end, they use chain-punches to the face, kidneys, solar plexus and throat, as well as pressure kicks to the knees. They combine this with the grappling from Krav Maga ( I don't know where KM borrowed it from though), to get what I'd label the most effective self defence system I saw in my life.

Scary as well, because they don't teach temperance or philosophy along with it, they accept every psycho that comes in from the street...

Just my cents, tho...
    /Matias

"I know Kung Fu."

omegapoint Guest

huhhh???!!!

Lesson one : Okinawa culture is NOT Japanese culture. The Okinawans were forced to become Japanese citzens. Like most tropical peoples it was and is hard for them to understand the manic attitudes of the cold weather peoples (i.e. Japanese , but this applies to all "snow folks" , Americans , Brits and Germans (or Teutonic based cultures). Saying they're the same islike saying Hawaiian culture is traditional American culture . Just because your country was taken by another country doesn't mean they're the same culture . Lesson two : Most Okinawans despise all Imperialist powers (especially Japan) . It is true that the Japanese stole Ryukyu Kempo ( Chuan Fa ) , but what they got was an incomplete form of tuite (Okinawan grappling) + Shaolin (Shorin) Chuan Fa. The 3 Shorin Ryu subsystems that I have studied for about 20 yrs. have all the classic Chinese fighting philosophies : powerful but controlled extension on technique(s) , Economy/feasibility of movement
    , change body , spacing , circle and point , whipping (relaxation until moment of impact) , etc. , etc. , et nauseum . Everyone of my Senseis have told me that the Okinawan masters would intentionally deceive their subjugators (the Japanese) about technique application (bunkai) , and that Ryukyuan culture was far from synonymous with Japanese culture . On the contrary , it more closely paralleled Chinese culture (originally) if anything . The Okinawan dialect is called Hogan , and is not understandable to the Japanese. In addition , even great Okinawan karateka such as Gichin Funakoshi (founder of Shotokan aka. sport Shorin ryu) were not taught the cherished Fukien Crane forms of Sokon Matsumura due to his friendliness with the Japanese . The Japanese Karates are extremely rigid because they've been reinterpreted by a totally different and regimented people . Find a traditional Shorin or Okinawan Goju (which incidentally means Hard and SOFT) Dojo (training hall) , and talk to the instuctor(s) . Ya' gotta know what you're talking about before you spout rhetoric . I have studied Chinese Kuntao and would like to say that the martial interpretation of Suidi (Shorin Ryu) is just as valid and , in certain aspects even moreso , than the Kung Fu I studied for 6 yrs. I'll pit my martial knowledge against anyone anyday of the week . I try not to practice ignorance and linear thinking ; only the Shorin (Shaolin) Way . You are correct in your assessment of Shotokan , but could not possibly be speaking about the Combat princples of the Uchinanchu and the Shaolin tradition .

unclaimed effort Guest

My opinion

All styles are limited no matter how effective people say it is, so basically it depends on you. I recommend, however, Wing Chun, 7 star praying mantis. Mainly if you practice right all the styles will become as quick and powerful for self defense. :)

If two tigers fight, the result will be one injured tiger.

Stillness in stillness is not real stillness. Stillness in motion is real stillness.

SLC Guest
    "Whats the best style for quick and powerful self defense?"

There is only one correct answer: The style you have practiced hard and learned well.