Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuai Chiao is Chinese

Shuai Chiao is Chinese

Apparently there is a little confusion going on, so I’d like to take a moment and clear something up for everyone. Shuai Chiao is a Chinese martial art. Yes, I know it can be hard to believe. We don’t develop Chi, we’re not deadly to be in the ring, and we generally agree more with NHB and San Shou crowd than Kung Fu crowd, but we are a Chinese martial art. In fact, Shuai Chiao is a TRADITIONAL Chinese martial art.

Shuai Chiao may even be the oldest of the Chinese martial arts. We can trace our art back a good 2000 years. No, we weren’t created by an immortal Taoist monk, just a bunch of crazy Chinese guys that like to throw each other on their head, but we do have the woodcuts and records to back up our claim. We have probably influenced your art to some extent. If you have either Shuai or Na in your art, there’s a good chance it came from some form of Shuai Chiao.

Are you with me so far? Good, because it gets really confusing now. A lot of times you will see other, non-Chinese arts discussed on Shuai Chiao threads. There is a good reason for this and it shouldn’t scare you away. You see, in Shuai Chiao, we have this crazy idea that martial arts are supposed to be for fighting. Because of this, we look at other arts that actually fight (San Shou, Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ, etc) and try to figure out how to beat them. This actually shouldn’t be tooo much of a shock though, as over half the threads around here are about BJJ ( a non-Chinese martial art)

In conclusion, Shuai Chiao is a Chinese Martial art, a form of Kung Fu and not an Other Related Art. I hope this clears up any confusion for our esteemed posters and moderators.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

It's pretty f-ed up that the thread got moved.

It seems a lot more relevant to this board than many of the other threads here.

I mean, look at all the Shaolin Do threads that come up on here.

Arguably, Judo is more Chinese than Shaolin Do.

The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Yeah I agree
    Opps, i forgot we're not allowed to post that!
    Bless you

Arguably, Judo is more Chinese than Shaolin Do.
    I agree. I've always felt an internal energy (not in a goofy mystical way, but more in a "core" and off balancing way) with judo than any other combat sport I've studied.

Thumbs down

So, any thread that even FEATURES the name of a style that is not chinese will be moved and/or deleted?

This board will be empty soon.

shuai chiao is a Norse art brought about by Thor.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Shui Chiao is great. I use the basics (that's all I know) when doing sweep/throw round robbins at my gym. It feels natural with my KF background, and yes is a traditional cma. It even has *****in' names for postures like "leaning forward to search for the sea". My biggest beef with both traditional and modern/sports guys on this board is this belief that cma is a striking art only. At the core of most good fighting that I've seen, weather bjj, judo, cma, boxing etc. the general idea is to uproot (make unbalanced) your opponent, then attack/finish. In other words, gain position, then apply your technique.

I agree with the now exposed chi hippy st00 in that the biggest problem with so called traditional martial arts today is the lack of competition, and theory of application based on unrealistic training. Those on the board who know older generation cma people, have seen them either invited or invite other cma practitioners to exchange ideas and fight at a high level. Yes, people even get hurt! That's why a lot of these folks are experts in chinese medicine as well. CMA often expound control, so in my view it should not be a huge jump to be able to do some kind of comp in the ring with more traditional fighting, even outside of San Shou. I think the biggest problem is the lack of cooperation and organization amongst different schools under the modern dojoish mckwoon (note: I am not criticising Karate here, just the modern dojo).

I kinda side tracked this thread, so to bring it back, I would like to see other cma events held that allowed the modern practitioner an avenue where they could participate in a full contact event. That way, different schools could showcase their fighters using the same techniques that they learn in class. Shuai Chiao does it, why can't others?

I agree with the now exposed chi hippy st00
    Watch your mouth, call me Chi Hippy!!!

sushi is Japanese for raw fish

bool go gi is a wonderful marinated Korean steak dish

what was the original point? :0

Originally posted by lkfmdc

what was the original point? :0
    That even though this is supposed to be a board for Chinese arts, the mods are moving Shuai Chiao threads to the other related arts board.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Question

they are moving Shuai Jiao threads? Oh please, the so called moderators don't even know what Shuai Jiao is??

That's pathetic..... but sadly not surprising....

Thumbs down

thats sucky

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

we generally agree more with NHB and San Shou crowd than Kung Fu crowd,

But here you cut your self off from kung fu and so put your self into the class of "other related arts".

Also how old is Shouai Chiao?......I dont mean how long have people been grappling in China, I mean how old is the art as you recognise it?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Kung Fu started with wrestling from India if you didn't know

Kung Fu started with wrestling from India if you didn't know
    Any real evidance of that HMMMM?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?