Thread: Quality swords

Quality swords

Does anybody know a website that sells QUALITY swords? Looking in particular for a Hsing-I (XingYi) Straight Sword (Jen). Thanks.

Quality swords are not cheap. What kind of price range are you looking?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I understand...

Quality swords are not cheap- and cheap swords are not quality. I am willing to spend whatever is neccessary, within reason of course, to procure a quality weapon. How much should one expect to pay for such quality? To use an automotive comparison: I am looking for a BMW, not a Bentley. I was hoping someone would be able to share a link, or two, so that I might get a better idea of what the current market rates are.

Anybody here have a favorite manufacturer? Please, let me know.

Regards.

Well, I paid about $100 for a decent blade but quality blades (not antique) cost around 300-$350. My teacher has been working on a prototype which isn't available yet, but they are sharp and really well balanced. They will be selling for around $350. I grabed this link from another thread. Try here. They had a few decent swords and lot's of good knives. You might also check with the guys at Beijing Bagua. They don't show everything they sell on their site and product varies so call them if you're interested. Lot's of others but that will get you started.

Also, one of the members here, Thomas Chen has a sword forum where I'm sure you could get loads of info. I don't have the bookmark on this computer, but do a search here for sword forum or some such.
    Last edited by count; 08-05-2003 at 05:06 PM.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Our newest web article

Will Your Sword Make the Cut? READ LK Chen and the Revitalization of Han Dynasty Swords by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Will Your Sword Make the Cut? READ LK Chen and the Revitalization of Han Dynasty Swords by Gene Ching
    Was just reading about a bronze blade that was a suprising find at a Linjia excavation in Gansu Province. It was found below the foundation of dwelling going back to the Yangshao Culture of the Majiayao. It makes me wonder if there's possibly some weapon that exists today that's about millenium before its time. BTW, that's a great article on LK Chen's Swords, but I cannot see any pictures on his website from any web browser of mine. Can anyone else see them? I'd love to see, or even get, a bronze sword that's polished like a mirror...

Our latest ezine offering - please share!

Stay Sharp! READ LK Chen and the Revitalization of Han Dynasty Dao by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wonder if there's some functionality to the oval ring on your Han Dao. It must have been worth the extra effort to align an oval ring rather than a circular ring.

I think its likely there are some mentions of cutting practice on bamboo in the incomprehensibly vast historical literature out there, haha

Ring pommels are culturally universal

You'll find ring pommels in many cultures. Making a perfect circle is much more difficult than making an oval (extra lines of symmetry) and this ring is handmade, not a mass manufactured piece (which is what I would've used in my sword making days...)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have been contemplating lately to reshape my broad sword with power tool into a Ching Dynasty sword or Japanese Katana. So that it will not be broad from the hand guard to the tip. It is still slightly curved all along.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

SteveLau - What kind of blade does it have?

If it's tempered steel, it's easy to spoil the temper with a power tool.
    If it's laminated steel, be mindful or you'll cut off the edged part.
    If it's neither, have at it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You'll find ring pommels in many cultures. Making a perfect circle is much more difficult than making an oval (extra lines of symmetry) and this ring is handmade, not a mass manufactured piece (which is what I would've used in my sword making days...)
    I bet the flattened pommels rings were for belts of leather for a number of reasons, including fine motor control at a distance...
    Last edited by YinOrYan; 03-19-2023 at 03:12 PM.