Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taiji Legacy

Taiji Legacy....

Is coming up, I think we'll be bringing a small team down, most likely just forms this time as we have mostly beginners. Anyone else planning on competing? (I know Shaolin-Do is thinking that he will if his arm doesn't come off.....)

Gene, are you guys covering this event this year?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I'll be there with 2 other classmates. I'll be doing traditional forms and long weapons. The other two will be competing in mainly Wushu events.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Where is it? Probably too far away for me to attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Arlington, TX (Dallas).

More Info
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Thanks. Never been to Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I'm considering it. I have a conflict in schedule at the moment, but that may work itself out. I see where they do cover my style within the southern short fist catagory so I'd particulalrly like to see others from this style.
    Have any of you been before ? Is there pretty good base of representation from differing styles? Does it tend to be more traditional or more (modern) wu shu in nature?

When I was there, there was one modern wushu ring(not including Taijiquan & San Shou), and the rest was traditional.

Last year there were a shlt load of people there (maybe 1,500). I only competed in traditional Northern forms and Open Long weapons, and I had between 10 and 15 people in each one of my divisions.

There is a good mix of traditional styles, but there were quite a lot of wushu players there, too. While there was only 1 main Wushu ring for open-hand forms, they competed in a lot of the open weapon categories.

There were people from China, South Africa, and England there. I'm sure other nations were represented, but those were the only one's I noticed off-hand.

This years tournament will be smaller because they aren't holding the Chin Woo Championships at the same time, but it should still have a good turn out.

Kung Fu Magazine will be there...

...but not me personally unfortunately. I have a schedule conflict. But my boss, Gigi Oh, our publisher will be there. She usually doesn't come out for events anymore, so it gives Jimmy Wong a lot of face.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: Kung Fu Magazine will be there...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    ...but not me personally unfortunately. I have a schedule conflict. But my boss, Gigi Oh, our publisher will be there. She usually doesn't come out for events anymore, so it gives Jimmy Wong a lot of face.
    I live in Arlington, Texas. Will Margie be coming too? maybe I can attend then.

Rather funny though, it is in the VERY city I was born and raised in, but chances are I won't be able to attend.
    I have a signature.

Sounds like good representation from the region and even some global attendance. I should probably bite my tongue, but.... though I think (modern) wu shu is very athletic, entertaining and somewhat of a form of "eye candy" it's just not my thing. If it was heavily wu shu I'd definitely pass. I'm pleased to see that, from your responses, it seems to be mostly a traditional style event so I'm much more inclined to gear my schedule toward that.

I went out to Nationals a few years ago... the wushu was fun to watch but there were a lot of them, and they had like over half the rings. I heard Taiji Legacy is more traditional, but still a lot of wushu guys running around, there will be a good representation of traditional from what I hear. I'll hopefully be competing in the northern traditional, I don't know if I'll do open or the other one.... we'll see. I also want to do a short weapon and long weapon, I don't know how my short staff form will stack up, but the straight sword form that I have is nice.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Hey, I live in the area and will definatly attend. Anyone want to meet up for lunch or dinner or somehing, have a KFO get together?

Or we could all deathmatch
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

I'm not much for the wushu, either.

I should be in Northern Traditional forms and Open Long weapons with a monk spade (I won this category last year). I also thought about doing a sword form, but my broadsword form is shaky, and my straight sword isn't very fluid, so I dunno.

I'm decent with a 3-section, but one of the guys I'm coming with has placed 1st or 2nd the last 3 years in flexible weapons (chain), and I know I can't beat him.

OdderMensch--Deathmatch, for sure. Especially if Shaolin-Do makes the trip.

OdderMensch--Deathmatch, for sure. Especially if Shaolin-Do makes the trip.
    Count me in

word on the monk spade..... It was my fav. weapon to mess around with at my first school..... (it didn't hurt as bad as the flexible weapons )

It'll be cool to see you all compete....

OH, and about the deathmatch, lets talk about it a lot, I mean constantly.... tell everyone that we'll tape it and post it along with some narratives..... then when someone asks about it we'll be d1cks to them and tell them it is none of there business.
    practice wu de