Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on developing "combinations" for sparring.

AsianSifu Guest
    You must practice your punches and kicks everyday and start to mix them together.

I don't have a signature because I have no pen to write it.

Vankuen Guest
    Hmm...combinations of course will vary greatly based on individual style of course. Having experience in northern and southern shaolin as well, I would have to say that the forms provide a very good way of flowing between techniques, but keep in mind that that the form is not meant to be one continuous fight.

Simply put, what flows together in the form, wont necessarily flow in the real fighting. As many different scenarios are presented in a form without a break in between.

I know you probably dont want to hear this, but start brainstorming on your own within your own fighting abilities to find what youre looking for. If you simply copy other peoples combinations, they wont be yours will they? there are of course universal ones that just about everyone does or can do, as there are only so many ways one can make the body move...but you get what Im saying Im sure.

What I do when I spar, is based on my reaction to the opponent. I dont think up things while Im fighting, but rather work off what the opponent is giving me and go from there. Its spontaneous commited action that will bring you to success. At least thats been my experience anyway.

Hope this longwinded post helped you!

SifuAbel Guest

No mind

When you get to higher levels of fighting; combinations are a matter of flow. You will not be thinking "punch....grab....kick", it will be more that instinct will take note of the expanding and contracting of the opponent. Your technique will be determined by your body's muscle memory instead of mental memory. By this time your body already knows it's basic techniques. It will not have to think about how to do something, it will just do it. Your body is better at making instinct judgements, if your mind lets it. It already has a blueprint to work off of. Your eye will see the pattern and your body will feel it. Thinking only breaks up this process. If you have time to think at all, it should be about the more overall stratagies like "which way is the exit" or "what can I use as a weapon". It sort of like saying that your mind is "along for the ride". Capt. Kirk is giving orders but Mr Sulu is doing the actual driving

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
    sifuabel@aol.com

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Spoken like a MASTER, SifuAbel.

Indeed, after a while kung fu becomes completely spontaneous. I liken it to a stream of water flowing downhill - it flows around or through obstacles.

Let me ask you, SifuAbel: do you still surprise yourself with the moves that come out of you, or have you settled into a pattern of spontaneity?

I am still in the "surprise" mode, as I haven't been training for very long and realized the ability to invent my own moves against resisting opponents only about 2 years ago.

I have a feeling that I'll settle into myself after a while.

SifuAbel Guest
    Ah Huang you're making me blush.

I'm not surprised anymore by the different movements that pop up in the consequence of action. Intrigue is more like it. The "aha!!!" of the moment. The evil smile at new knowledge. Once you accept the no mind of it, you set yourself free to explore every angle possible just to see what your body will teach you. How just the subtlest change in direction or focus changes the technique. Even your every mood changes your response to the same situation. At this point the patterns of forms become more fragmented and flow with greater ease. Ultimately, until there is no pattern to speak of. It's the difference between the person learning a language and the person who can speak impromptu to a crowd about anything.

sifuabel@aol.com

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Thanks for the reply, SifuAbel.

I'd like to come full circle and thus ask you if you also believe that form training is the ultimate way to train how to fight at a high level.

In my experience, doing forms helps work on that "spontaneous reaction" like nothing else does.

When I do sets nowadays, I don't think of "applications" or "fighting" anymore. I don't even think in terms of energy.

I just do my sets.

SifuAbel Guest
    Form training is needed in order to learn the concepts and rudiments of the style. Form work is the tool box. A good carpenter already knows how to use his hammer. But, if he doesn't have one in his tool box, he can't drive the nail. Sets also force you to move in a precise way, so when you fight you move with precision.

sifuabel@aol.com

ker Guest
    Thank you all for the wonderful replies and insight. I apologize for the belated thanks, but have been out of the country. My initial question was designed to elicit specific combinations I could use and develop, but after reading your responses, I realized I had been looking at the issue of developing combinations in the wrong way. Maybe I was subconsciously looking for a short cut, but I now realize that the best way to develop the combinations that will work for me is through expirimentation, hard training, and more sparring. Sounds so simple in hindsight. I now also have a better understanding of going with the flow and being responsive to what my opponent is dishing out, as opposed to having a specific gameplan and trying to stick with it. Your suggestions combined with an additional couple of months of sparring have helped tremendously. Thank you all again. KE

LEGEND Guest
    Ker...I'm from NOVA...where do u train...I can invite you to an open class...my friends have similar problem...its just practice and reaction drills...

A

ker Guest
    Legend, I train at the Chinese Martial Arts Institute in Vienna, somewhat near Rt 29 and Gallows. You?