Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how many forms do you think there are in wah lum?

If you are talking about Chan Pui's WL then yeah I'd say over a hundred forms for sure.

But if you are talking Hong Kong or other places... I have no clue.
    18 Elders said LKS taught 10 - 11 forms.

My questions are:
    1. What are those forms?
    2. Are they being taught in CP's WL.

I'd like to ask MC myself but don't think he would be receptive to be asking questions.
    Hua Lin??? What can you do?

If anyone has been to the WL headquarters Hong Kong ( I think)
    can you contribute to this discussion?

Yu Shan: true true about knowing forms and not apps.

Interestingly enough: Many styles only have about 10 forms.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

joe mantis

went to the WL headquarters in hong kong, it was just chan wan ching's wife's house with some pictures on the wall. MC said nobody there trains WL.
    I would think if people did still train it then when MC took all those group trips to hong kong and china then the students would have trained with some wah lum people but i don't think anyone ever did.
    we went to his village and did a demo and saw the locals do a demo, they did fan cha and it was the first form they learned. It was a little different.

Mantis Cave lists many people that studied under LKS.
    Can't anyone contact these people and get some additional info?

Hey 18 isn't Fan Cha an Eagle Claw form?
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Joe Mantis-

Good Call!

Any KFOers in Hong Kong? Anyone going soon or know any PMers who live there?
    "Do not follow in the footsteps of the men of old, seek what they sought"

Joe Mantis
    I still believe that any of the original material passed on to MC is at the top. I'm sure he keeps it close. One clue is the fact that Big Mantis appears to be the WL version of Beng Bu. It's currently on 6th Level. Quite a ways up there if you're familiar with WL. He also told me WL has Luan Jie but it's different. Don't know what it's called or when you learn it (by the time I get to it I'll be too old to do it). Listed under Advanced Wah Lum Fist forms is Tong Long Juk Dung - Praying Mantis Exits Cave. Again, it might not look like other versions.

Also, the WL Headquarters moved back to the mainland. Not sure if WL exists in HK anymore. Been there 2 times and never saw any.

Shaolinlueb
    "is there a big mantis to go along with little mantis?"
    There is a Big Mantis to go with Little Mantis. There is also a Big Fan Cha to go with Little Fan Cha. What I haven't seen is a Big Open Gate to go with Little Open Gate.
    Last edited by Hua Lin Laoshi; 08-11-2003 at 01:19 PM.

Anyone ever find out what the 11 forms were?

I`m trying to get you the list.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by Hua Lin Laoshi View Post
    Joe Mantis
    What I haven't seen is a Big Open Gate to go with Little Open Gate.
    Big Open Gate... the mind reels!

The list.....

I saw about ten years ago had forms ( available on video) in the ranges of 400+.
    I do not know if these forms or videos are still available or are being taught . GM Chan Pui has a lot of material!!

I personally have over 150 forms in my arsenal from various sources , mostly all from SD( 100+).

This is sort of steering into a slightly different direction. But it is sort of relevant.

In addition to which were the original forms, does anyone have any further info on MC's training? Mainly, where did the southern stuff come from? I originally thought he learned first a 5 families type system then later moved to mantis but it seems that was incorrect.

I know there is some southern stuff there. The leopard set...and 18 elbows and 36 hands have a number of combinations which are also found in Lau gar set and Gung gee (slightly modified but its easily identified).

Is there any info on Tan tui mantis prior LKS and wah lum?

Hi SoCo KungFu,

I am not a wah lum man, though I remember reading a martial arts magazine of of the UK that featured an article on Grandmaster Chan. He said the before Lee Kwan Shan came to their village, they did Mok Gar (I am working from memory here). This may explain the use of the heel in the front and side kicks. Mok Gar is known for its heart piercing kicks and tiger tail kicks-- all done with the heel.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 06-06-2007 at 06:10 PM.

yu shan, sorry I missed your call. Can't hear the phone when I'm out on the bike. Post the list, you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I saw about ten years ago had forms ( available on video) in the ranges of 400+.
    I do not know if these forms or videos are still available or are being taught . GM Chan Pui has a lot of material!!
    Don't know what you saw but it wasn't Wah Lum. There aren't hundreds of forms in WL. I don't know how many MC knows (or has quan pu for) but not everything he knows is in WL. I think that's where the mistake comes from, he knows sets from other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Hi SoCo KungFu,

I am not a wah lum man, though I remember reading a martial arts magazine of of the UK that featured an article on Grandmaster Chan. He said the before Lee Kwan Shan came to their village, they did Mok Gar (I am working from memory here). This may explain the use of the heel in the front and side kicks. Mok Gar is known for its heart piercing kicks and tiger tail kicks-- all done with the heel.

mickey
    Mok Gar is his family style and that's where the Leopard Form originates. LKS came from a Tan Tui family background before learning Mantis in the Wah Lum Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I know there is some southern stuff there. The leopard set...and 18 elbows and 36 hands have a number of combinations which are also found in Lau gar set and Gung gee (slightly modified but its easily identified).

Is there any info on Tan tui mantis prior LKS and wah lum?
    As I said above, the Leopard Form came from Mok Gar. The first Spear set in the curriculum is from Lau Gar.

well, I hope that I am not breaking any rules here (so I won't post the names of forms just in case) but my handbook shows a total of 52 forms - hand and weapon - required to reach 6th level. In addition there are at least 13 "advanced" forms listed and I've seen and learned a few additional forms that are not on this list. So we're up to 70 +/- forms.

I am guessing that on top of that there are some strictly for the gifted or the chosen, and of course some forms that might only be passed to Mimi. So we're up to 100 +/-. but considering MC's history why would be surprising if he knows a few 100 forms?

C

Yao Sing`s list:

Beng Bu - aka - Big Mantis
    Lan Jeet - Lan Jie
    Baht Zhao - Ba Zhou
    Tam Toy - Tan Tui
    Lin Wahn Jurng - Lien Huan Zhang - (continuous palms)
    Teet Bay Sow - Tieh Men Suan - Iron Door Bolt aka (Little Mantis)
    Dai Fan Che - Da Fan Che
    Yat Lo Lin Wahn Tam Toy - Yi Lu Lien Huan Tan Tui - (first route continuous tan tui)
    " " " " " " " (second route " " " )
    " " " " " " " (third route " " " )
    Yau Ling Kuen
    Yin Ji Chuen Lum
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"