Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: how many forms do you think there are in wah lum?

Quote Originally Posted by spiralstair View Post
    Hi Guys,
    As a long time Wah Lum practitioner I can tell you that the Sifu exam is basically the same as it has always been. My 36 hands for the Sifu test is fundamentally unchanged since 1978. That is the way I teach my students.

The 'Wushu-ized' Wah Lum that people talk about comes from seeing Wah Lum in public demonstrations, shows, or tournaments. The add-ons to forms for the extra 'pop' for the viewers has a very long tradition in martial arts in general, not limited to Wah Lum.

If the school you're attending does a lot of public competitions and/or performances, chances are you'll see students adding gymnastic type movements to their forms to grease the groove with the viewers.
    If the school you're attending does not, you're either lucky or unlucky, based on your preference for flash.

One thing for sure though, the surest way to get a "moon cha cha" from Master Chan is to add any kind of a flashy move during the Sifu test.
    The problem though now is that a lot of the people learn the wushu-ized Wah Lum as though it is the actual true technique and don't know better. This is the problem with jazzing up your stuff and not keeping true. I guess if they want to train forms comp that's their choice though.

I learned Wah Lum material but I was never part of WL. Sigung broke away after a fallout with MC in the 80's or 90's I think when crap started going south. He learned a lot of the WL from his higher peers because they knew he'd keep it (WL wasn't his first system) and they knew if they forgot he'd still have it. MC didn't even know what all he had been learning for a while (according to the info that was passed to me, but I can't varify any of it so....) Anyways, the WL stuff I learned was the way it was done at that time frame. The WL I see now all the time...its like a different system. Not just talking the fluff. They do techniques...there's no connection. No martial intent. The stances are weak/out of alignment and there's no power. Limp arms in punches, floppy feet in the kicks. The guys I've spoken too say they don't really practice the mantis keys or any trapping/hooking. Techniques have been altered to be easier and faster for demo and the actual use of the tech was lost. They don't judge their kung fu by actual use nor do they seem to train it to be functional.

I know that there are some out there that try to find ways to keep it real or to make it real if thats the case. But then that is getting into politics and I'm not going to get into that mess between those guys. There's plenty of threads on it anyways.

Those are just my observations from the Florida area. I'm not speaking on anyone in particular since I don't actually know any of the WL people, just see them at times performing. I haven't been to any of the tournies lately though so take what I say with that in mind. That and I no longer train in my old system. I still practice my mantis but I prefer the tiger stuff I know now.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 06-19-2007 at 05:14 PM.

One practitioner who doesn't emphasize focus, power and discipline is too many... yet it still doesn't define the system.

My goal? One student at a time.

Practice!

- CS