Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

Martial Joe Guest

What do you do?

What do you do when you are confronted by some one and you feel like you are about to be attacked,It isnt an often thing for me but I kinda have my hands near my chest and a play with my fingers so if they strike me I am ready,unlike having my hands in my pockets.

Joe :cool:

Matt-le-kat Guest
    Yea that's just what i do, just incase they throw a punch, i'll be half ready to recieve it.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

rogue Guest
    Also make sure you're in a t-stance. Front foot forward back foot at 90 degrees to it, knees slightly flexed weight on the toes.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    I seek to put obstacles in the way - a chair, a table. Anything for distance. If there are no options, I talk with my 'hands' so that they are up and I can check any shoulder rotation. I look down and haze my eyes. This engages periphial vision and also creates the illusion that I am submissive.

I once had someone grab my wrists when I did this - which is the best thing that could happen as now he couldn't cheap shot me, but I had complete awareness of his body - and skeletyal control if I chose top use it (I did, a quick shake and he was on his ass and the witnesses didn't even recognize it as a throw.).

If I beleive the person is armed or with others and the danger is imminent I attack first, with the goal of incapacitation, not submission.

If it is just a blow hard I engage my reason fu and talk them out of it.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Martial Joe Guest

Rogue

wouldn't t-stance depend on what MA you study?

rogue Guest

If I understand your question...

The stances name might be different but the idea is the same, it's like a cat stance but both feet are flat. The idea is to get ready for defense, counter attack or a pre-emp attack without looking like you are. It protects the groin while allowing mobility. It's kind of the defacto stance that a lot of guys(aikido, jujitsu, karate) I train with use in the real world.

edziak Guest
    Personaly If I thought I were about to be attacked and I felt I could take them I would attack first. Waiting for the other person to attack does not seem like a smart idea.

Martial Joe Guest

Martial Joe Guest
    I know what you are saying edziak and i agrea with you.I am in school still and all these confrontations that i have had have been in school.but i dont like to get in trouble in school...if it were out on the street i would def. do what you are explaining,but in school i try to not get the person more ****ed off,but i try to be ready for any outside emergency.

Joe

[This message was edited by Martial Joe on 02-04-01 at 10:05 PM.]

Watchman Guest

Concealed carry

I usually put one hand forward and use the other hand to unsnap the holster carrying my .45. It's amazing how a determined look and half-drawing a weapon will deter an attack.

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

The CBC Guest
    I personally would get sacered and leave ;) but if I would stay and fight I would first prepare myself mentally by thinking something bezzar like this guy just killed my cousin are something to get myself really ****ed off and keep my hands at chest level but I agree with Martial Joe bcause I to am in school and the law here where I live states that if you fight at school even if you don't start the fight they take you down to the pin and your parents have to pay 250 dollars to get you out plus find another school because you would not be allowed back at that school for a year so if some one beats the sh*t out of you and you through one lick or the guys friends say you started it you go downtown this really sucks :(

Martial Joe Guest
    You told me about this quincy...that is so lame how they do that...in my school if i pounded some kids head in orgot my own pounded in we would get a few detentions or most likely get supended for a couple days...just keep doing what your doing because if you have to risk that much legal laws,well,its not worth it,my school is a different story.But if I was in your shoes i would talk to the kid and tell him how retarded it is to do that knowing that crap will happen to you..If you read this again andswer this...what would you do if it wasnt in school?

Fish of Fury Guest
    i've found saying "if you strike me down i'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" doesn't work as well as you'd think.

running's good :)

The CBC Guest
    If it was not in school and I knew someone wanted to do me something I wouldn't wait for them to confront me I would just wait tell I see him or them and then try kick the crap out of him or them dosen't matter if Its more than one better get it over with as quickly as possible I mean if a bunch of guys say their goining to beat you to blood pulp why wait for them to do it just get it over with

[This message was edited by Quincy on 02-08-01 at 11:10 PM.]

joedoe Guest

Nice one fish

Love your reply Fish ;-).

I find you should be focused on preparing for the attack. Thinking of things like 'this guy killed my cousin' doesn't help me because the last thing I want in a fight situation is for emotion to cloud my actions.

I agree with Fish though - running away is the prefered action :).

If you can't get away, always remember, "Smith & Wesson beats four aces"