Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Att Gene - FeiYue shoes

Att Gene - FeiYue shoes

Didnt know where to find you, so thought to post this topic in here.

I loved the article on the shoes. Great style, and a great article. You seem to be a shoe expert, so i wanted to get your opinion on something

Firstly, I imported allot of feiyue shoes from china, to re-sell here in SA (I have a MA shop and an online MA shop). Sales are doign well, and everything is cool. My problem is, I have owned a few pairs of these shoes for personal use. My shoe size is Size 10. After a few hours of wearing these shoes, I get this very painfull feeling in my heel. After a few days, this feeling just gets worse and worse. It doesnt go blue or anything, it just seems to make this funny sensitive spot on my heel. My accupuncturer is just as baffled as I am. I have tried both 45 and 46, and it always does the same. It is as if all my weight is supported directly on the one spot on the heel. Other shoes doesnt do this. Could be something to do with the heel being round?

Have you, or anyone else reading here, ever experienced this problem?

Last thing, I have not been wearing the shoes for 2 weeks now, just to try an experiment. I 'fixed'my one pair now, where I added a small piece of closed cell foam in the heel section (to lift the heel), in hopes to try solve the problem. Will try it next week.

Sorry to waste your time with this post, but it is seriously annoying.

I've been wearing them for years, and I've never had any problem like you described.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Everyone's foot is different

Maybe Feiyue's just aren't for you. Feet are pretty unique and there's no universally good fitting shoe. Sounds like a really weird problem, though. Have you had the same problem with other shoes? You might try an indoor court shoe to test your rounded heel theory. Or you might not, and just avoid Feiyues all together.

I've never had a problem with them at all, except for the fact that I often got the wrong size. Actually, the pair I have now is a size too small, but I wear it anyway. It's a little snug, but it still works for me. I actually have a pair that's the rigth size, and of course now I can get as many feiyue shoes as I want, but I want to wear out this small pair first, as a sort of penance perhaps.

Oh, and thhanks for the kind comments on my article/informercial. That was a fun one to write.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Question

My 2 Cents:

I've worn Fei Yues for more than a year now. I'm currenly on my fourth pair. My style of Kung Fu does a LOT of stomping. And my Sifu really likes to stomp more then the forms actually are supposed to... We get scolded by Sigung for it all the time. I have a form where SIX moves in a row all have stomps in them. Needless to say I often get a lot of heel problems.

Around 5 months ago, I noticed that something in my right foot moves around when I shift the weight on it. It doesn't hurt, just kinda freaks me out sometimes.

Fei Yues are AWESOME when your doing low stances cause the sides don't get holes for your toes to stick out! The problems I notice are that the bottoms wear holes fast, and there isn't much protection for heel stomps.

Do you do a lot of heel stomping? It seems like once you injure your heels, it comes back easily, and you won't necissarily have any bruising. Like I mentioned, there isn't a whole lot of heel protection. You might try some wrestling shoes. Those seem to protect well.

Also, when you first get Fei Yues, a lot of times the soles are REALLY hard and you have to break them in. After a while they become gel-like on the inside. Are the pairs you got like this? Sorry for the length!
    Last edited by Lohan Fury; 08-11-2003 at 07:57 PM.
    Amitabha

When I first started wearing the Feivue shoes they really hurt my toes, but it stopped after a few weeks. Am now well through my second pair and have had no more problems.

By the way, has anyone else seen the black Feivue shoes? New fashion for performing types in Shaolin who want to look extra sharp...

My Sifu wears the black ones. They look pretty cool.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

black

I thought the blacks were knock offs like feilongs or feiyuns. We're in driect contact with the factory, so let me get back to you on that.

I used to have heel issues when I fenced. It was nothing a heel cup couldn't solve. But like I said before, every foot is different. Find what works for you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think I could have found the problem. On the heel, there is quite a bit of " over bite" where the back side of the shoe (canvas) strecthed over the actual heel are. Il try to add something there to support the heel.

Gene, thanks for your article. I have something to confess. Well, I really didn't know this untill I read your article. The shoes I have is actually Feiyun. I have the box infront of me, and it says - Su Long - Xuzhou Feilong Shoe co., Ltd. I most probablty bought the knock offs. I just compared them to the previous pair I had, which a friend sold me a few years back (real Feiyue's) and they are pretty much the same.

They're still pretty cool.

Thumbs up

Hope your heel gets better! What kind of world would it be if you couldn't wear Fei Yues?

Hey Gene,
    Great article! You aren't the only one who'll never change his martial art shoes!! Nike's just don't go with my Shaolin robe!

Now if you only sold leg wraps and socks....
    Amitabha

BTW,

Gene, what's with the pinoccio picture on the package that Fei Yue shoes come in? Awkward...
    Amitabha

knock offs etc.

I'm really glad you all liked that article so much. I was a little tentative since it was such an informercial, but you all know me here and know I got's to earn me bread for my family, so you give me a wide berth and I truly appreciate that. Besides, feiyues are a great product and I only go to this effort for the good stuff.

As for the knock offs, they do look amazingly identical. I tried some Feilongs and one of the other knock offs whose name I cannot remember, and what can I say? I'm brand loyal. I felt the Feiyues were better. But maybe it was just me. The differences are really tiny.

AS for socks and bang tui (leg wraps) we sell them with monk robes but not separately at this time. I've been encouraging them to be sold separately. I'll encourage them more.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Superior martial arts sells the socks and wraps separate, as does WLE ( I think).

We'll have them soon

It's something I had asked about when we first started carrying our monk robes, then forgot about. After I read this thread yesterday, I pitched it again to our buyers and we all agreed that it would be easy for us to do. So I expect them in the next shipment. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We've been so ahead of this...freakin trendsetters!

How China’s Feiyue sneakers, shoes of Shaolin monks, are making a comeback
    Traditionally the go-to footwear of Shaolin monks, Chinese Feiyue sneakers are seeing a resurgence thanks to Gen Z’s love of retro heritage brands
    New stores have opened in Beijing as the Chinese brand looks to differentiate itself from separate Feiyue brands in France, the US and elsewhere
    Jessica Rapp
    Published: 11:15am, 23 Jun, 2019

A Shaolin kung fu student wearing Feiyue shoes. The sneakers are making a comeback in China as younger consumers seek out ‘Made in China’ heritage brands. Photo: Alamy
    Chinese sneaker brand Feiyue started out providing the go-to footwear for Shaolin monks; the shoes were lightweight, supportive and cheap.

Fast forward nearly 70 years and the martial art accessory has become a fashionable must-have – and the cause of multiple copyright disagreements. For the past year and a half, Beijing resident AJ Donnelly and his business partner Nic Doering have been working with the Shanghai-based brand to bring it back to its humble roots.
    Donnelly’s story starts like that of many who encounter Feiyue in Beijing: he stumbled upon the shoes when he started his martial arts training at the Shaolin Temple in Henan province in 2015.
    The shoes, which were also a staple of the martial arts performers at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, are made using recycled rubber from the Shanghai Da Fu Rubber tire factory. Their Chinese name means “to leap” or “to fly over”, though its slogan “flying forward” will be more familiar to people in the West.
    In 2016, Donnelly and Doering launched a company called Cultural Keys to help foreign students in China learn about traditional Chinese culture. It included martial arts programmes conducted in partnership with the Shaolin Temple and Feiyue shoes were part of the students’ training outfits. It soon became clear, however, that they would need a greater supply.
    “All of the students who were with us were saying, ‘Wow, these shoes are so cool, they’re so hip, where can we get more?’” Donnelly says.
    After discovering that few sports apparel stores in Beijing actually sold Feiyues, Donnelly contacted Da Fu to determine whether they could resell the footwear in their cultural centres in Beijing.

Shaolin Monks wearing Feiyue shoes demonstrating their skills to tourists outside their training temple. Photo: Shutterstock

“They basically said the same thing that the Shaolin Temple told us: they said, ‘We’d love to do this *[as] we don’t have easy access to orders from an international market, so if you could help us by stocking our shoes … we’d love to work with you,’” Donnelly says.
    From there, Donnelly says he and his team opened a shop in Beijing called the CK Culture Boutique (now located in the Songzhuang Art District in Beijing’s Tongzhou district) where they sell the shoes, along with Chinese calligraphy, kung fu clothes and other cultural products.
    Most of Donnelly’s customers are tourists who find the shop through TripAdvisor or Google. But the Feiyue shoe has also been making a comeback in the Chinese market thanks to a surge in interest in all things retro, especially among Gen Z consumers.
    The company, buoyed by this interest in “Made in China” heritage brands, has expanded its range of the shoes, as well as its consumer engagement strategy.

Modern Feiyue sneakers.

“I’ve noticed wherever I go I see more and more young Chinese people wearing them on the subway, and just going down the streets,” Donnelly says. “But I see older people as well who just pop into the shop when they’re walking past who say, ‘Oh my gosh, I was wearing these when I was 10 years old and it’s amazing to see them here now.’ It’s great to hear both sides of that.”
    The increasing popularity of Feiyues can sometimes pose challenges for Donnelly’s boutique. Da Fu makes around 150 styles of the shoes, but change out styles yearly depending on Chinese tastes.

Feiyue sneakers on display at the CK Culture Boutique in Beijing.

“The Chinese consumer likes very bright and colourful styles, even rainbow-coloured shoes, whereas we see the most popular ones [among Western shoppers] are the most basic … very simple. Grey mid tops with a black line going through them are a number-one bestseller for us, but they’re not popular with the Chinese shopper. So Feiyue will stop making them after a year.”
    Sometimes the range of colourful styles on offer can be confusing for those unfamiliar with Feiyue’s complicated brand story.
    In 2006, a French marketing and events manager living in Shanghai had the idea to create a hip, stylish culture around the shoe. He bought the brand registration from a manufacturer in China and trademarked the name to sell them in France. Since then, not only has the French brand given Feiyues an updated, fresh look, it has attracted Western celebrities like Orlando Bloom and Poppy Delevingne, who once told W Magazine that she “lived in” the trainers.

CK Culture Boutique in Beijing’s Tongzhou district.

The Feiyue name has also been trademarked in Australia, New Zealand, South Korea and Taiwan – all separate entities from Shanghai Da Fu Rubber and its subsidiary Double Coin, which took over manufacturing the shoes in 1979.
    We serve a very specific group of customers. And when people come to us, whether it’s for classes or martial arts programmes, or for the shoes themselves, we always try and give as much of the story that we have
    AJ Donnelly
    There is also a US version of the sneaker company, headed by a Florida-based footwear firm called BBC International, which bought out the French brand in late 2014, according to new magazine Footwear News. In China, countless copies of both the Chinese and French versions of the Feiyue shoe are also available as the Chinese market still grapples with the protection of intellectual property rights.
    For the moment, the Chinese Feiyue is carving out its own niche and recent years have seen the introduction of branded stores in Beijing.

Feiyue shoes drying outside the Shaolin Kung Fu school dormitory in Dengfeng city in Henan province. Photo: Alamy

Donnelly believes his company is helping ground the flying footwear brand.
    “We serve a very specific group of customers,” Donnelly says, noting that his shop has one additional value for foreign travellers that they won’t find at Feiyue’s branded shops: its collection is available in extended sizes, up to a size 47. “And when people come to us, whether it’s for classes or martial arts programmes, or for the shoes themselves, we always try and give as much of the story that we have from our point of view.
    “We’re not a tour company; we don’t talk about modern China and these kind of things. We always take everything back to its roots.”

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: How a kung fu favourite gained traction

You know where to get your FEIYUES...MartialArtSmart.com.

THREADS
    Tiger Claw brand Feiyue
    Att Gene - FeiYue shoes
    Got me some Feiyue's
    Made in China
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Feiyue FYI

NATIONAL MARTIAL ARTS DAY GIVEAWAY

“OFFICIAL RULES”

NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.

Eligibility: This campaign (National Martial Arts Day Feiyue Giveaway) is open only to those who participate in the National Martial Arts Day Feiyue Instagram Giveaway via Feiyue-shoes.com and who are 13 years of age or older as of the date of If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent submit your entry on your behalf. The Campaign is open to US Residents ONLY and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Feiyue Shoes (“Feiyue”), its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
    Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of BBC International, LLC as final and binding as it relates to the content of this
    Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted through Feiyue-shoes.com submissions starting on October 15, 2021, 10 AM EST to October 22, 2021 11:59 PM EST. Winner will be announced on October 23, 2021 at 12 PM EST via Feiyue Shoes Instagram Story. The Campaign may be cancelled, terminated, modified, or suspended at any time by Feiyue in its sole
    How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered in accordance with the directions found at [National Martial Arts Day Giveaway Details]. You may enter by (1) submitting an entry form on Feiyue-shoes.com starting October 15, 2021 (2) by following @feiyueshoes on Instagram. The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Feiyue. You must provide the information requested. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Entries generated by script, macro, mechanical or other automated means and entries by any means which subvert the entry process are void. All entries become the sole property of the Feiyue and will not be returned.
    Selection of Winners: After the end of the Entry Period, a Feiyue representative will select the dojo winner based on the best response why their dojo should win the giveaway. If Feiyue determines that the person whose entry is selected was not eligible to enter the drawing, or if the person drawn refuses to accept the prize or fails to complete the eligibility requirements described in “Eligibility Requirements” above, or if the person whose comment is selected cannot be contacted or identified, Feiyue will conduct a subsequent choice from all remaining eligible entries to select an alternate winner. The winner will be contacted via email and Instagram Direct Message and will be announced through @feiyueshoes Instagram story.
    Sponsor: The sponsor of the Campaign is BBC International LLC. 1515 N Federal Hwy # 206, Boca Raton, FL 33432.
    The Campaign hosted by Feiyue is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by Each entrant hereby releases the Social Media Platform from any liability in connection with participation in this Giveaway.
    Prize and Approximate Retail Value: Winners will receive a maximum of 20 pairs of Fe Lo 1920 Feiyue shoes based on availability on feiyue-shoes.com. No substitution or returns of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Feiyue to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. The total ARV of the prize awarded is $500.
    Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE STATE OF FLORIDA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this giveaway, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties and causes of action arising out of or connected with this giveaway, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Florida having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of- pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or
    Terms & Conditions: Feiyue reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Feiyue’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the In such case, Feiyue may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Feiyue. Feiyue reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Feiyue has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void entries for any reason, including, but not limited to: the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Feiyue reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
    Privacy Policy: Information submitted with an entry is subject to the Privacy Policy stated on the Feiyue website. To read the Privacy Policy, https://feiyue-shoes.com/pages/privacy-policy.
    Threads
    FeiYue shoes
    National-Martial-Arts-Day-Oct-15
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips