Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Kingdoms Series (San Guo Yan Yi)

3 Kingdoms Series (San Guo Yan Yi)

The 3 Kingdom series, San Guo Yan Yi is available in China with English subtitles. Although not full of hot and spicy martial arts, it based on historical fact and really gives you pretty good insight into the nature of China.

It reinforces the idea that many Chinese philosophies arose from military strategy and strongly supports the military/martial arts connection.

58 vcd set and well worth watching.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

could you provide a link, please?

would the same company also happen to have Outlaws of the Marsh or Journey to the West?
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

Sorry about the links, my wife and I bought the series while staying with her parents in Beijing. It was the only series that had English subtitles (my Chinese is sub-illiterate). The series, Outlaws of the Marsh is currently being run on CCTV 5 but is strictly Chinese.

You might try:

http://www.tigercool.com/

Good Luck!
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Man three kingdoms is like 30 DVDs long, who would have time to watch all of it.
    I like Outlaws of the Marsh though, cuz Lou Kwei (sp?) the rebel with the twin axes rocks!

SanSoo Student:

It gets even worse. The English subtitle version is 58 discs. However, I don't watch much TV other than 24 and attack dog O'Reily (in small doses) so its like watching a movie or two every other night. I finished 30 of them while staying in Beijing.

Raf:
    Do they have Outlaws of the Marsh on DVD?
    I remember seeing a similar show when I was in Taiwan, I can't remember the name though.

SanSoo Student:

We (my wife and I) set up a satellite dish for CCTV 4 (my wife is from Beijing) and they are currrently showing the series but all of it is in mandarin with no subtitles. You probably can get the series from Tiger Cool but no English and they will be VCDs.

I also watched an old movie while in China called The Yellow River Fighter and the sword work was really great. I couldn't find it in China but I see it can be found here in the States and its dubbed. If you are into the two-hand sword, this is a must.

I'm sorry, did you say 58 VCDS!??!??!!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Yep! The mandarin version is 30 I believe but the dubbed series is 58 VCDs. If you watch one a nite 3 days a week, its almost 20 weeks. Almost half a year. A pleasant way to by-pass most of the junk on TV.

Originally posted by RAF
    Sorry about the links, my wife and I bought the series while staying with her parents in Beijing. It was the only series that had English subtitles (my Chinese is sub-illiterate). The series, Outlaws of the Marsh is currently being run on CCTV 5 but is strictly Chinese.

You might try:

http://www.tigercool.com/

Good Luck!
    HEYYYY!!!

Rin-Tin-Tin in Chinese!

I used to be really into that when I was young. It was pretty good too. Sort of like Mygavar.

Anyone reading the book?

Over 600 pages and it's only vol. 1 but it's sooo **** good.

You just can't really put it down.

Konami has been using this theme like crazy and came out with a load of games. All going from non-fictional to how it was in the book.

I'll keep out on the lookout for this but I'm more a DVD type of guy.
    Last edited by Odin of Wei; 04-28-2004 at 06:53 PM.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Ebay has DVD sets for about $60. It's just 14 DVDs.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Ebay has DVD sets for about $60. It's just 14 DVDs.
    I'M THERE!!!

Wait....I don't have eBay!

And my "connection" is always busy too!
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Originally posted by Odin of Wei

HEYYYY!!!

Rin-Tin-Tin in Chinese!

I used to be really into that when I was young. It was pretty good too. Sort of like Mygavar.

Anyone reading the book?

Over 600 pages and it's only vol. 1 but it's sooo **** good.

You just can't really put it down.

Konami has been using this theme like crazy and came out with a load of games. All going from non-fictional to how it was in the book.

I'll keep out on the lookout for this but I'm more a DVD type of guy.

yeah i got all 4 volumes from forieng language press. you can find it on amazon. i have that, journey to the west, and outlaws of the marsh in a 4 volume set. finished JTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb

yeah i got all 4 volumes from forieng language press. you can find it on amazon. i have that, journey to the west, and outlaws of the marsh in a 4 volume set. finished JTW.
    I only on Vol. 1.

And the chapter where Lu Pu dies.
    But sadly I haven't read it as of late, **** english teachers!

But there are 4 vols.? I heard like 3.

-CPD hostage negotiator

Originally posted by Odin of Wei

I only on Vol. 1.

And the chapter where Lu Pu dies.
    But sadly I haven't read it as of late, **** english teachers!

But there are 4 vols.? I heard like 3.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...133218-0303904

if you go to buy used and new. buy a new version off of zhihongx for 15 bucks i bought three 4 volume sets off of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.