Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Video Series

Alan Orr Video Series

Hey folks,

Just watched the first video in Alan Orr's (Robert Chu's UK student) new video series. I was very impressed. Unlike most WCK videos I've seen, there were no forms demos, no endless repetitions of solo drills. Alan got right to the meat. He began demonstrating the body structure for the stance (they use a 50/50 approach, and for those unfamiliar with that method or who don't understand how its used (that means people who disagree with it on the surface) this tape shows the concept quite well).

Alan has a background in both boxing and wrestling, and part of the tape tries to explain WCK against modern MMA, where Alan talks about weaknesses in a boxers and wrestlers, and the mix of the two, approach outside the confines of their sports -- how boxing leaves holes for wrestling and vice versa. Alan then shows how their WCK structure takes advantage of those holes while tying to minimize presenting any of their own. This is boiled down to expressing and receiving force in a stable manner.

Alan also operated outside of lineage and tries to demonstrate why he does what he does, not just 'do it because I said so'. He doesn't argue weighting or Tan Sao height, but explains what he wants to accomplish in a fight, then shows the optimal method he uses to accomplish it.

Alan then goes on to show how they receive and issue force (storing in the joints and bends), and then how they link and delink structure to manipulate the opponent's body with that force (touching on the body-body, hand-body, body-hand, hand-hand methods).

This is a series focuses on sparring, and while I haven't watched the rest yet, there is a lot of sparring footage in the intro and end clips, inclusing bare hand, mma gloves, boxing gloved and head gear, and self-defense simulation. It's done fast and with power. Those unfamiliar with their approach might get thrown by the clip in the beginning, but by the end of the tape (and hopefully more by the end of the series), it should be understandable, even if some disagree in the overall approach.

When I finish the, I'll post a detailed review of the good, bad, and ugly on wingchunkuen.com

In the meantime, more information on the series can be found at http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/produc...oductlist.html

Hey Rene,

It would be great if people can see a few small sample clips too.
    If the video is great and I see it, I love to buy it too.

Regards,

Thumbs up Thanks Rene

Aloha,

Rene, thanks for taking the time to give some details on the tape. It definately sounds interesting.

I'm on vacation in Maui right now just taking a break before a massage session and checking in on the forum.

It is good to see someone with a background in both Wing Chun and MMA giving their insights into how Wing Chun fares in the modern world and how it can stack up against other arts like boxing etc.

Even more so, that the presenter can speak from personal experience.

I look forward to your further reviews on this series.

Mahalo,
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Re: Thanks Rene

Originally posted by planetwc

I'm on vacation in Maui right now just taking a break before a massage session and checking in on the forum.

Go to hell planetwc!....

Just kidding!...

Re: Re: Thanks Rene

Heh heh. No worries I'm in paradise so it's not possible. Weather and water is wonderful here, long as you wear sunscreen.

I'm having a great time unwinding after all the stress of Silicon Vally.

I'm glad to be out of that tornado.

Originally posted by old jong

Go to hell planetwc!....

Just kidding!...
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

sounds like rene really enjoyed the video.i mean REALLY enjoyed
    the video.i mean ultra REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoyed
    the video.rene did everything but give us the card catalogue
    number.or will that be in message posting two?[and where it's
    available,and in what dvd region!].i mean,didnt it seem as
    though rene REALLY enjoyed this video?huh?didnt it?!its a good
    job rene isnt in on a profit cut,then he would have ULTRA ULTRA
    REALLY REALLY would have enjoyed this video.its heartwarming
    to see such enthusiam for other's work!!REALLY!

Russ.

I don't get a cut from the videos (which is too bad, given the illogical strength of the UK economy and the 2.5/1 exchange rate for Quid/Canuck Bucks), and I've never met Alan (the first time we exchanged emails was upon the release of this series).

I don't know if the whole series will hold up for me the way the first tape did (I should finish them by the weekend), but if they do, its a series I've been waiting for for a long, long time (ever since I saw Mario Sperry Vale Tudo 1 and wondered why a WCK person couldn't do a real tape series like that).

BTW- This tape series does not seem intended to teach WCK to a complete beginner. There are no forms shown (at least in the first tape), and the audience is expected to be familiar with basic WCK ideas and/or MMA concepts. It seems like the tape is targeted towards people with a basic knowledge of either who want to get better at fighting aspects.

I believe Alan is also a TCM doctor, though I don't know if that will factor in.

Question Rene???

Robert Chu's WCK is called "Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun Kuen", why is Alan Orr's called "Ying Hung Wing Chun Kuen", would it not also be "Chu Sau Lei"??

Sheldon

On the videos it's referred to exclusively as Chu Sau Lei WCK, and Alan wears the Chu Mui Fa logo on his shirt, and its prominent on the packaging as well.

But why worry so much about names? The refereshing thing about the video is the content, not the labels.

Call it 'How to better control and pummel people Fu' if you want.

Question Rene????

Rene Wrote>
    But why worry so much about names? The refereshing thing about the video is the content, not the labels.
    I was curious how Robert Chu's Wing Chun Kuen is called "Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun Kuen" but Alan Orr's is called "Ying Hung Wing Chun Kuen"?? Where does the "Ying Hung" come from, is this something Alan Orr made up??

Sheldon

No idea. Maybe ask him????

Re: Re: Re: Thanks Rene

Originally posted by planetwc
    I'm having a great time unwinding after all the stress of Silicon Vally.

I'm glad to be out of that tornado.
    Yeah. It's a real pressure cooker hell here in Silicon Valley. Another clear sunny day. It might get to 78 degrees, but I say "might." Tough to take this intolerable weather.

I do so miss the MidWest U.S. Back in my Iowa home town, it'll be 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity with a chance of Thunderstorms and tornados. How I miss it. Let me count the ways.

Enjoy Hawaii. Give my best regards to your charming wife Ellie.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

Question Huh........??????

Rene Wrote>
    Hey folks,

Just watched the first video in Alan Orr's (Robert Chu's UK student) new video series. I was very impressed. Unlike most WCK videos I've seen, there were no forms demos, no endless repetitions of solo drills. Alan got right to the meat. He began demonstrating the body structure for the stance (they use a 50/50 approach, and for those unfamiliar with that method or who don't understand how its used (that means people who disagree with it on the surface) this tape shows the concept quite well).

Alan has a background in both boxing and wrestling, and part of the tape tries to explain WCK against modern MMA, where Alan talks about weaknesses in a boxers and wrestlers, and the mix of the two, approach outside the confines of their sports -- how boxing leaves holes for wrestling and vice versa. Alan then shows how their WCK structure takes advantage of those holes while tying to minimize presenting any of their own. This is boiled down to expressing and receiving force in a stable manner.

Alan also operated outside of lineage and tries to demonstrate why he does what he does, not just 'do it because I said so'. He doesn't argue weighting or Tan Sao height, but explains what he wants to accomplish in a fight, then shows the optimal method he uses to accomplish it.

Alan then goes on to show how they receive and issue force (storing in the joints and bends), and then how they link and delink structure to manipulate the opponent's body with that force (touching on the body-body, hand-body, body-hand, hand-hand methods).

This is a series focuses on sparring, and while I haven't watched the rest yet, there is a lot of sparring footage in the intro and end clips, inclusing bare hand, mma gloves, boxing gloved and head gear, and self-defense simulation. It's done fast and with power. Those unfamiliar with their approach might get thrown by the clip in the beginning, but by the end of the tape (and hopefully more by the end of the series), it should be understandable, even if some disagree in the overall approach.

When I finish the, I'll post a detailed review of the good, bad, and ugly on wingchunkuen.com

In the meantime, more information on the series can be found at http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/produ...roductlist.html
    I Wrote>
    I was curious how Robert Chu's Wing Chun Kuen is called "Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun Kuen" but Alan Orr's is called "Ying Hung Wing Chun Kuen"?? Where does the "Ying Hung" come from, is this something Alan Orr made up??
    Rene Wrote>
    No idea. Maybe ask him????
    You mean after doing marketing for him, you don't know "why" they have two different names for the same style of Wing Chun Kuen???

Sheldon
    Last edited by Geezer; 08-13-2003 at 12:37 PM.

I reviewed a video on WCK sparring. Nowhere on the video does Alan answer the question you asked. Therefore, if you're really interested in getting an answer, you will need to contact him directly. If all you want to do is troll me, please consider this my final response.

Paul,

You can pass that on directly to Alan via the website http://www.alanorr.com. I am compiling some suggestions of my own and that will be where I send them.