Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone do the Yang Lu Chan form?

...... and there are those who think Choy Suey and Fortune Cookies are genuine Chinese food.

Hello, all.

Iron Fist,
    Erle's Yang Lu-chan form is my favorite of all the modern Taiji forms I have learned. I wouldn't call it a fast form, though it is done a bit faster than some others. But of course, you can do it extremely slow with no fa-jing if you want. I sometimes do.

Anyway, You would get pretty much the same things from practicing this form as other Taiji forms, provided whatever you are learning is learned correctly. Timing, balance, coordination, some fa-jing training...it's all the same. There are differences, of course, between this form and others, but the basics should be the same.

Personally, I have found very little in other Taiji forms that could not be found in this one, and I suspect that in time I will find those things in this form as well.

Any Taiji, when learned correctly, will benefit you. Personally, I think this is a very good form, and if you want to learn it, I say "go for it." It starts out difficult, but later on it gets a lot more difficult. (Inside joke to most here, probably.) I can't give you a timeframe as to how long it takes to learn because I still consider myself to be learning it. But I suppose you could learn the absolute basic movements in a few months or weeks. From there, it just gets deeper. There are intricacies to movement that I never considered before learning this form. That's the part that takes years, all the little detailed stuff. That's the stuff I'm still learning.

This whole post reminds me that I need to practice more.

In response to a private e-mail regarding my previous posts:

There are no judgements or attacks on Erle Montaigue's YLC or Yang Cheng Fu forms to be implied or directly read into my comments.

I find some of the postures very interesting in the YLC tape in that they correspond to some things I have learned. I am less interested in the form itself, than the jiben gong (or basic training) and there is no way for me to judge Mr. Montaigue's knowledge regarding that matter. Many people hold back on the simple but essential training, especially when marketing videos and I hope that will change in the upcoming years. Whats worse is that we all have different takes on what is considered basic training for taijiquan.

I, however, strongly disagree on Mr. Montaigue's take on the history, lineage and relationship of Yang and Chen's taiji. So what else is new? On this point, almost everyone is in some degree of disagreement but I wish he had not made theclaims that he did. Having said that, do not interpret that as a cirticism of him as a person. There is no need personalize it.

There is a lot of variation in forms and methods of training and no one can point to a standard of taijiquan performance that serves as a benchmark by which all other variations can be compared to or graded. Even the so-called classics have their limitations and may have multiple interpretations.

To my PM, I hope this clears the air. I have no grudge or personal beef with Mr. Montaigue. After all, I initially started my studies with Jou Tsung Hua. Who would I be to cast the first stone given his controversy and my utmost respect for him.

So, once again, good luck in your search, Iron Fist.
    Last edited by RAF; 08-17-2003 at 05:46 AM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

nice clips on Erles Page,

http://www.taijiworld.com/CLIPS/video_clips.htm

I LIKE THEM. I think its nice. espeically the broadswords.

its nice

we , the tai chi public, don't care about his. We want to hear about the great violent tai chi master Yang Shou Hou. He was the black dic who was a sex machine to all the chicks.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

The Sex Machine also committed suicide rather than honoring prearranged challanges.