Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clips of Aikido Founder Morihei Ueshiba

Clips of Aikido Founder Morihei Ueshiba

This guy is legendary and respected in many martial circles. Lets hear what you think.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/video/bio.asp

i think those have been posted here before.

if i remember right people made fun of them and then went on to discuss their sexual preference and those of others.
    where's my beer?

He is neat to see, he reminds me of Yoda lol. The clips dont do him much justice though.

yoda is my bi tch.

i didnt say much about them before or now. as you know aidkido isn't my favorate thing, but at the same time i think there's something to be said for yoda.

there's no way to convince anyone else of this unless another jedia tosses them on their head real quick like.
    where's my beer?

" Although I have never met Sokaku Takeda Sensei, I had acquaintances with Ueshiba Sensei. Also I have learned a great deal from Yoshida Sensei. Indeed, both Sensei were superbly strong.
    "

These are the words of Mass oyama!...If Oyama was considering Ueshiba "superbly strong" it surely meant something. Soft arts like Aikido or Tai-chi don't show their power very well visually.

wow

No disrespect intended but I have always thought Yoda and Aikido live in the same fantasy world.

Ueshiba won many well documented fights against many top fighters of many different styles from all over asia. If you really want me to i will try to find the list of all his fights. He was certainly no fantasy.

Please do ...that would be awesome... did they have broken wrists when he got done with them?

Are you fukking serious? You obviously have only glimpsed aikido and its techniques which is what i would expect from someone following the current trend. And now i have to dig up all the info on Ueshiba to satisfy the whim of someone mocking a great man and his art. "Did they have broken wrists afterwards?" Dude lets just let that be the slogan of your ignorance of aikido.
    Last edited by Shuul Vis; 08-19-2003 at 12:03 AM.

Yeah i take all that back i must have been on crack or something. Sorry.

Haha, dude you can delete posts you know.

I don't think he ever competed though to be honest. HOWEVER, he did base Aikido off of JuJutsu before it got watered down, so he undoubtedly knew some brutal stuff.
    I have a signature.

lmao
    where's my beer?

He based aikido off daito-ryu-aiki-jujutsu, one of the oldest jujutsu styles, which is pretty nasty. His teacher apparently chased him around the country, showing up unannounced at his house, staying as long as he liked and beating the stuffing out of him (he was mad too), which is how he ended up running away to the clegnuts of nowhere (Iwama) and founding his own quiet little dojo.

Coupled with Ueshiba's combat experience in Mongolia and Manchuria (when they were still fighting fiercely, before Japanese combat experience in those areas became practice in killing restrained people with karate and kenjutsu!), and his advancing years, this crazy-assed mofo teacher may have contributed to Ueshiba's conversion to the deluded peace-loving aiki-hippy waving at trained monkeys in those video clips.

The clips are disappointing, but par for the course. The Ueshiba I would have wanted to see was the Ueshiba in the 1920s and '30s, but there's no video of him then, or his real combat experience, so of course we have to conclude that it is all complete fantasy!

There is a shred of evidence that he used to be something in those clips. Look at the way he uses his sword at the age of 76 or whatever it is. Then try and tell me he never had anything. Man, I'll be happy not to be dribbling mushy peas down my chin and burbling obscenities in a made-up language at that age (actually, I'd probably be happy doing those things too...! but I digress!).
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I studied Aikido for a little while and enjoyed it; however, I thought it would take an outrageous amount of time to really be able to apply it in a real self-defense encounter.

I enjoyed the clip of Koichi Tohei and the "skeptical American journalist." Although Tohei could obvioulsy apply the techniques against a resisting opponent, it looked nothing like the uke flying around during Ueshiba's randori sessions. Plus, the journalist didn't look to be in that great of shape either.

I have no doubt Ueshiba knew his stuff, but you won't find it documented in any film clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

O-Sensei was not a Yoda.

He was a smurf.