Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jumprope or running

jumprope or running

which would be better for conditioning?
    Travis

structure in motion

i'd say running, because running uses more of the bigger muscles in the thighs than jumping rope. the bigger the muscle, the more fuel it will use. also, the energy used in propelling forward seems, at least for me, more difficult than just jumping and such.

if you want both, add running backward to your general run. toss in a hundred meters of backward goodness every mile and you'll feel a difference.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Dude, I totally saw this chick running backwards around campus the other day. Other people were kind of laughing at her, but I figured there was probably a reason she was doing it.

But still, it's kind of funny to watch someone trying to look over their shoulder so they can see where they're going when they're running backward

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    i'd say running, because running uses more of the bigger muscles in the thighs than jumping rope. the bigger the muscle, the more fuel it will use. also, the energy used in propelling forward seems, at least for me, more difficult than just jumping and such.

if you want both, add running backward to your general run. toss in a hundred meters of backward goodness every mile and you'll feel a difference.
    well, i already do squats so i don't really want to interfere with that. i'm thinking running everyday could tire them out for strength gaining, or am i totally off with that thinking?

i also do wing chun's knife form... over, and over, and over...and over i like doing that in that it definately trains endurance, while training footwork, AND once i get real tired i try and make sure i don't get sloppy. tired and sloppy are the last things i want to be in a match

i've been talking with my sifu and have decided to start competing around here to really test my stuff out; so i figure i really need the endurance

so anyways, with doing those things; would jumping rope or running be better?
    Travis

structure in motion

i still say running. it can be trained for all sorts of things, such as explosive speed, footwork, long-distance endurance, and self defense.

yes, i did say self defense. what happens on the day you're attacked by a few turds (figuratively, ironfist and red5, figuratively) and you don't have your double knives handy (they just won't fit in a fanny pack). do you try to be the real-life equivalent of a movie hero and bash all three miscreants, or are you smArt enough to realize that the real-life attempt at movie-fu is called idiocy, and you instead rely upon your good running skills to save your bacon?

besides, if done right, a decent amount of running won't affect your squats, nor will it really influence your bart cham dao, but your lungs, your legs and your general health will appreciate it. so will your wallet, which would rather remain in your pocket than in some criminal's.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    so will your wallet, which would rather remain in your pocket than in some criminal's.
    unless they shoot me in the back while im running away
    Travis

structure in motion

why not both jumping rope and running?
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

They both have their place and work your energy systems in different yet similar ways. It's always good to mix up work, so I say do both. Neither is better unless you have specific running related goals or you are entering the national double duch competition.

ford = national double-dutch champion, light heavyweight division, 1993-1998.

my mind says do both, but my body says "you hate running, don't do it!" so I jump more than I run. I do try and force myself to run though.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Make fun of me if you will, but double dutch is **** hard!

I attribute most of my leg strength to double dutch
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Make fun of me if you will, but double dutch is **** hard!
    so is synchronized swimming, but i pick on that even more. but, i guess if it's good for you and sevenstar, maybe i should give it a whirl.

Jumprope is better for martial arts. Easier on your joints, and gives you great footwork and timing. The normal way emphasizes calves more, however if you do the gliding the feet back and forth it becomes more of a lunge. You will tire out your thighs and scream for mercy quickly if you do enough of these "jumping lunges." I challenge anyone here to glide their feet back and forth with two feet of space between the back foot's toe and the front foot's heel, and maintain that for 3 minutes. I sure can't, and I jump rope the regular way for 20 minutes, throwing at most 20 reps at a time of the glide feet back and forth pattern, and with usually 12-18 inches between the toe of the back foot and the heel of the front foot.

That said, running has useful variations too, like RTB said. Particularly hill sprints, intervals, etc.

running killed my back so I quit… started riding a bike… look up High Octane Cardio on T-Mag… I'm too lazy right now… but good stuff… but I will start doing sprints again… but that long distance stuff is dead…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv