Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA with a disability

MA with a disability

I know that several sifus post here and I was wondering:

Do you have any students with a handicap or disability in your class? (Mental handicaps aside as we all have a few of those in our kwoon.) If so, what kind? What do you do to adapt their training to their handicap? What are the goals of their training? Do any of you turn them away because the system can't be adapted to their handicap? How do other students seem to react? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I know that u might GET handicapped by the training itself, but that doesnt answer ur question of course..

After several schools had turned him away, we trained a wheel-chair bound guy for about a year. Northern styles are difficult enough to practice when you have 2 working legs, so my Sifu heavily modified the system to fit this guy's abilities.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

silat

The founder of Penjack Silat Serak was said to have a gimp (lack of better word) arm and leg on opposite sides. And that has to be one of the most ruthless styles I have ever crossed hands with. I think everything is adaptable if the student is willing to work hard enough.

templefist

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    After several schools had turned him away, we trained a wheel-chair bound guy for about a year. Northern styles are difficult enough to practice when you have 2 working legs, so my Sifu heavily modified the system to fit this guy's abilities.
    I can imagine. Did the student stick with it beyond the year? How was the system modified?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I can imagine that it will be tough to teach a wheelchair-bound guy & to train being one as well.

Mok Gar is said to be founded by a midget. Maybe that can answer something..

He got a girlfriend after a year, and we never saw him again.

Basically, he took out all the footwork (which is vital to a Northern system) and let the guy focus on his hands. If he ever got a-hold of you, he could do some damage, but we were never really able to make him into a decent fighter. He had no mobility and could not maneuver, and since his center of gravity was connected to his chair, he had a hard time controlling opponents once he did latch on to them without falling out of his chair.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Just Curious...

Are you looking for modifications specific to any type of injury/disability ?

No specific disability, just curious how someone with a disability would train and what would they get out of it. It may come up if I ever decide to teach.

MK, maybe the guy got enough self-confidence to ask the girl out. It seems he got something out of the class.

We have a mostly blind student.. not actually much in the way of changes in how to teach. Different exercizes and letting them examine movements by touch mostly. They do fine.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

SD was know at our kwoon for his bum knee. Sifu even told his family about his spirit to learn kung fu. On his trial day, SD dislocated his knee during streaches. Even though he used profane language in the kwoon, Sifu still respected him more than most students. He was supposed to have surgery and was planning to learn to fight w/ a cane...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Im a hardcore mofo

Knee still suxors, Just train hands when it hurts too bad to train legs.
    Bet sifu was real glad people sign waivers when I yelled "F*CK"

One of the old-school Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu hard cores only had one full leg. He had a nasty half-guard. No joke.

masterkiller- that was nice even though it didn't work out so well at the end.

I came across this

once when researching some qigong stuff. He has I think a couple of disabilities
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

re being disabled

hi judge pen , i am a disabled person and i have been training in wing chun, kung fu snice 1976, i have cerbal palsy midl, and pedi mail epalipsy also i could not walk , unit i was 14 year"S old i was in calipers until then. at first i did not think i could stick at it
    but, the training paticular, sil im tau helped me overcome many, drama"s the first two years were the hard part, but after that it came a little more easy , a word of advise basic are the key russell sherry
    russellsherry