Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Tattoo

Another thing (coming from a friend of mine who's now a tattoo artist)-- if you're really concerned about infectious diseases, go to a parlor that uses new needles for every tattoo. It's a bit more pricey and you must watch them take it out of the sealed packaging to make sure it's safe, but it might be worth it, if for just your peace of mind.
    "Let's play Soviet history-- you're Trotsky, I'm an icepick."

Originally posted by Tae Li
    What do u guys think of Li Lian Jie in chinese characters just below the spinal chord........
    Do you mean really low on of your back?

I reckon thats a really sexy look for a chick.
    There was this hot asian girl in one of my tutes last year, who always wore low-cut pants and you could always se a tattoo (can't remember what it was now) on her back every time she leant forward...daaayam *drools*

Sharky
    If you get something that is personal and actually means something to you, then you wont regret it.
    A friend of mine's brother died a few years ago and they were really close, so he's getting his brother's name tattooed on him. He want's to do it on the small of his back. I suggested he gets it on his shoulder blade. But he said he preferred it somewhere less visible cos it was a personal thing. I'm sure he'll never regrett getting his tattoo.

How much could a new needle possibly add to the cost? $3-$10?

Two more questions....

Two more questions about tattoos....

1) What is the pricing like? Is it based on size, time taken, intricacy of design?
    What are some basic prices? Where do they start, what is average for an "average" tattoo.

2) What is the pain like? Ok, so i'm a little wuss. You'd think after being elbowed in the face, kicking peoples shins, and coming home with bruises up and down my forearms i'd be used to it, but no, i'm still a little wuss. So what does it actually feel like?
    -I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am.

-The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

well, if you are a guy and get test. cancer, and have to lose one of your boys, you can always get a squirrel running up one leg and another squirrel running down the other leg with a nut in his mouth. That way you can ease the uncomfortable moment of the "first time" with a new partner. When you notice the confused look you can say something cool like "mr. fuzzy snatched it".
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Yikes!

Well amongst the many Marine Corps inspired tatoos I have (including Snoopy carrying an M-16, and Wiley Coyote carrying an M-60 machine gun), I have the simplified character of "Patience" tatted on my right forearm. To remind me that kung fu is a way of life and a journey, not a destination.

Next up, characters for "fortitude", "stillness", "charity", and others as I earn further sashes in my kwoon.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Copyright 2003 - African Tiger Inc., a Nevada yada yada yada. Any reproduction...oh, to hell with that round kick, my knees are killing me. How about a nice Iron Palm to the nuts, sonny?

Raving Limerick> Another thing (coming from a friend of mine who's now a tattoo artist)-- if you're really concerned about infectious diseases, go to a parlor that uses new needles for every tattoo. It's a bit more pricey and you must watch them take it out of the sealed packaging to make sure it's safe, but it might be worth it, if for just your peace of mind.

KF Cowboy> How much could a new needle possibly add to the cost? $3-$10?

To be honest I've never been to a shop that reused needles or known an artist who did, so I wouldn't know about the extra cost, but reusing needles definitely sets off my "sketchy" detector.

Satanachia> 1) What is the pricing like? Is it based on size, time taken, intricacy of design?
    What are some basic prices? Where do they start, what is average for an "average" tattoo.
    2) What is the pain like? Ok, so i'm a little wuss. You'd think after being elbowed in the face, kicking peoples shins, and coming home with bruises up and down my forearms i'd be used to it, but no, i'm still a little wuss. So what does it actually feel like?

1) A big part of it with most artists I know is how interesting the design is. If it's going to be fun to work on, you'll probably get a good price on the tattoo. This may sound unfair, but when you are putting kanji and butterflies and simple tribals on college kids all day, there's no way you're going to be excited about doing another one of those. But mostly it has to do with size and intricacy. Most shops have a basic cost that even the smallest tattoo will be due to set up time and cost of equipment. After that, it usually has to do with the artist estimating how many hours it's going to take to do the thing, so the bigger and more intricate and more colors, the more it's going to cost. It's impossible to give you an average tattoo cost, because there's simply so much variation.

2) I'd say it depends where on the body you're getting tattooed. Also, lots of people are different as to where it hurts most to be tattooed. Personally, I don't think it hurts much at all in most places after about the first 15 minutes, when you adrenaline or endorphins or whatever kick in. But opinions vary. If you're worried about not being able to take the pain, either start with a small and simple tattoo, or with a larger one, start with a component of it that is small and simple and can stand alone in case you decide you don't want to endure sitting for the rest of the design. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you can handle being hit, you can easily handle being tattooed.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

the arabic word for "milk" in my fore-head
    and my hotmail adress on my ****
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I have often thought about getting another one.
    I just don't think it looks real good on me, having so many tats.
    But my brother has a few and it looks allright.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

i am thinking something along the lines of my mc'ing name, or maybe a picture of a Mic, but, not an LL Cool j type thing, i dunno, mics are kinda gay shapes

kristoffer: haleeb?
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

I have the Kanji on my left upper arm for Love. I also didn't want to get anything that I would regret when I was older.

I also am considering getting another tat of a tiger coming down my right upper arm with it's paw outstretched down towards my bicep much like this one.

Another one I thought about was the one of the tiger and dragon forming a Yin Yang symbole on my upper right arm.

Was also thinking of putting an Eastern Dragon across my upper back from shoulder to shoulder, but thought otherwise.
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

Some good points made...

The pain of a tattoo is definitely something that is a lot easier to take once you're there and, as dwid said, your natural chemicals start kickin' in.

Yeah, Chinese chracters are fairly played out, but I think it's a better trend than most. (at least it's not Warner Bros. characters anymore.)
    But you really do have to make sure what you think you're getting is what you're actually getting.
    Everyone has a horror story of some chump that got
    something ridiculous tattooed on them. (I myself heard of a dude who went to Japan and thought he was gettin' 'Samurai Warrior' on the back of his head -- it actually read 'Pigf**ker', or something to that effect.) What I did was run around Chicago's Chinatown like a madman asking everyone in every shop "What does this say?!" and pointing to a scrap of paper in my hand. After enough people looked at me like I was insane and responded "Freedom", I was convinced. I figured if that many people said the same exact thing, I was all good.

Now, with alot of people I know, a tattoo becomes an addiction thing. Like my wife, for example. She got one, then two, then three, and she still wants more. (luckily, they're all smallish and discreet)
    It seems to be a common thing with tattooed folk. But I just have the one and no real desire at all to get another. What about you guys? Satisfied with whatcha got, or dreamin' of sleeves and full-back tats?
    "The best way to do is to be"
    ---Lao Tzu

Sharky- hehe well it's not there yet... But I think it would be kinda cool no?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

About the needles...

dwid- From what I understand, reusing needles is more common than people think. Of course, most of the time, the shop will sterilize them with bleach and then autoclave them before tattooing another customer, but it's on a shop-by-shop basis (At least out east). Thus, it's ALWAYS a good idea to ask about it before hand, even if it's a parlor with a good rep.

As for why it's still done, I don't know, really. I'll ask my friend next time I see him, but I have a suspicion that new needles aren't really that cheap. Personally, I'd pay extra for the new needle, but that's just me.
    "Let's play Soviet history-- you're Trotsky, I'm an icepick."

I did a girl who was born in Japan (Military dad) so she had "Made in Japan" on her butt

From down periscope: "Welcome Aboard" on the *****.