Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it just me....

is it just me....

.....or as an instructor, do you get students who have been training a relativly short period, begin to believe they know more than you?

I have had a particular student who contantly tries to push these boundaries with me by being over questioning(to the point of being arrogant) and tries to show me up in class by always coming back with the "well in this situation I would do...." type question/statement

I have been teaching for many years and welcome students views and questions always. However, some times people push this too far. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of situation?

any views would be welcome

chen

Is it just you or did you post this too many times...lol

I'm still a student, but I've had a few in classes that were like that.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

is it just me...

or did NP take the words out of my mouth?

as for students who think they know more than an instructor, I've never met one. I have to say thats pretty ignorant and arrogant to think that.

what do you teach, Chen?
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 08-21-2003 at 12:51 PM.

hmmmmm...

This is an interesting topic.

Could you shed some light on a few areas?

-Is he in his late teens or 20's?
    -Is this student around your age?
    -Is he exclusively a student or has he "hung out" with you?
    -Does the student seem to have an issue with his confidence/ego? (keep in mind that many people who have issues with their confidence feel that they need to compensate somewhere).
    -What is your method of teaching (forms, fighting, well rounded)?

I ask ALOT of questions in any class environment, but just for clarification. I love a teacher who will teach you something and immediately follow up with an application for it, being such physical material I'm sure there's lots of opportunities for stuff like that in MA.
    -Sakko

I have a friend who has done very limited martial arts training... he has always thought himself more knowledgable in MA than he really is. I think the reason being is that his personality is a bit too fanciful.....he wasn't the most popular of people, VERY overweight at one point of his life, and has kind of found a... "fantasy life" in comics, Pro wrestling, etc.

He is actually taking lessons with me these days, and has gotten a bit more "realistic" in his abilities....but I feel he keeps trying to justify himself or impress me in some way when he really doesn't have to.

So yes, he can sometimes come across as "arrogant".....
    I think it's hard to come to grips with your weaknesses if you've avoided them your entire life.

When we grapple he knows his grappling wasn't as good as he thought it was......

he knows he doesn't know how to avoid being smashed with a stick....

He knows his boxing skills aren't very good at all....and can't stop someone who wants to jab him in the face.

NOW, having realized that, I think it's good for him because he can start to hopefully train with a little less ego involved.

But it's hard when you base a "fantasy" of yourself for reality instead of trying to make your "fantasies" real. Bitter pill to swallow.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

hands speak louder than tongues...show him who knows better
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

I've had the fortune (or misfortune) of training with several of these people. On the bright side, they will keep you on your toes. They say "well, I'd do this" and then you welcome them to try it. Eventually, they get humbled and tone it down some. On the bad side, this can hold up teaching and can annoy students, as he is interrupting their learning time. People tend to not like being partnered with these know-it-alls because they will be doing a drill and say "you can also do it like this" and go into something other than the drill they are supposed to be doing.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I had a woman do this sort of thing a few months back. Odd, I've seen it in the younger male but never out of a woman. She only came to 8 or 10 classes and kept wanting to play the 'if-then' game with the basic punching/blocking drills.

"if you block my punch like that then I'll just do this"

''yes, you are right, you can do that but you havn't learned to do this correctly yet so don't worry about that yet."

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Smile

Well, it happens a lot of times. I have students who took other MA or stuff in their professional field (ie correctional services, bouncing, etc...) and would compare their experiences with what we do in my class. Usually, they don't mean it as showing off or trying to out do me. Just trying to get their money worth. I will listen first and then I generally will show my "solutions" and overtime they have learn that asking question can cause physical pain or other discomfort (not that I am being mean or anything). So eventually when I answer by saying "would you like me to show you" to the what if questions, they will reply with "no, thank you, not with you." BTW, I think the what if questions are a sign that the student has yet to "bond" with you and your style.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Once or twice a year we get students like that. Usually sifu says "OK, try it and I will show you what I will do." So they try it and he shows them what he will do. After a few times they stop asking questions like that.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I've had the fortune (or misfortune) of training with several of these people. ...
    Jeez, seven, if it's been that many times are you sure you really don't just suck!!!
    People tend to not like being partnered with these know-it-alls because they will be doing a drill and say "you can also do it like this" and go into something other than the drill they are supposed to be doing.
    Goddam, that ****s me off.

And the other really funny one is, when Sensei demonstrates something, you start doing it, and the kohai you're doing it on starts telling you how to do it, until you wrench his arm off and beat him to death with it. Or when you're demonstrating something on kohai 1 and kohai 2 steps in and starts saying, 'Yeah and you need to do this and this, and this...' until you politely take kohai 1 and apologetically beat kohai 2 to death with him.

They are always the first or second grade up from the bottom: in one of my schools it was known as 'orange belt syndrome' and Sensei, would always politely beat them to death for it.

As you may have guessed, I agree with Crimson.

Also Chen, as you can see a healthy dose of visualisation, or if you want to stay out of the realms of psychosis, fantasy, can help you to keep patient in times of wanting to take said smartarse and violently dullen it for him.

However, sometimes these people are useful to test your knowledge in ways you may not have thought of, to test your patience, to test your skills at managing class dynamics, and to make sure it's not your ego or your martial style that's not the problem.

Personally, I prefer training.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

It's not just you,
    there are even know it all's who study an entirely different system who know more than you do regardless of how long and hard youve trained in your particular art. Its amazing how many tv gurus and internet sifu/sensei are out there.
    watch yourself.
    I dunno why people feel they should pay you to tell you that they know more than you, but hey , that might just be a cool deal , take thier money and save your advice for those that really need it.

Some really interesting replies, thanks guys.

I like the idea that they have not bonded with the style or with me as their teacher.

I have often thought an answer would be to go harder on them, but this is just not in my personality. At the end of the day, I am the teacher and not there to prove my skill to the likes of individuals as I have described.

I also like oso a relpy

''yes, you are right, you can do that but you havn't learned to do this correctly yet so don't worry about that yet."

Nice point of view!

chen

At the end of the day, I am the teacher and not there to prove my skill to the likes of individuals as I have described.
    At the end of the day, this is a bad attitude.

You've just come on for the nth time asking for advice about dealing with troublesome students, which despite your having taught for many years, maybe suggests you're lacking in something in the first place.

I love teaching precisely because I am always learning from my students, even (or especially) the awkward ones. It's through addressing their issues, especially the sceptics, that you reassess and recognize your own strengths and weaknesses. So you find the answers to the smartarses, and you don't have to come to a board to ask complete strangers the answers.

You've just made a moral judgment based on a perception of someone else's lack of skills in moulding themselves to your kwoon ethic. So teach them your kwoon ethic. You said you welcome questions, yet you say he's asking questions to the point of becoming arrogant. When is this point exactly? If he is that bad ask him to take the class... believe me, he'll shut up!

You do have to prove your abilities to your students, esp 'the likes' of the one you described. The kwoon is your students', not yours. I can wave a piece of paper at you and say I'm qualified, but in the end, it's precisely your skill that makes the difference.

Not meaning to rag on you, but have you had any training to be a teacher? Just being good at your art doesn't mean you'll be a good teacher. And looking at your statements, you are a bit jaded with the teaching experience. Have the confidence in your ability and take charge. That doesn't mean working him harder, it means working him through his preconceptions and using them to challenge your own and make your skills stronger.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan