Thread: Qi Xing Stepping Of White Crane

Qi Xing Stepping Of White Crane

Can anybody tell me if this stepping used in White Crane is anything like Qi Xing Praying Mantis stepping?

V/r

Steve M.

Could you describe the mantis qixing stepping a little bit? The only qixing stepping I am aware of is a stepping in which you can start by crossing, for example, your right leg to your left (in front of the left leg), then your left leg turns around your right and crosses it on the front to land on your right, then the right steps back at a 45° angle, then your left gets behind your right and then your right leg turns around it to cross behind and step to your left. ****, my explaining sucks but you should get the general idea...this pattern has variations on the side (ie, you can drag the leg crossed laterally to really side step instead of stepping diagonally), turns to face the opposite direction (by uncrossing the legs dancefloor style hehe), and can be used while retreating or advancing...you can draw squares with that pattern, or the big dipper (could it be the origine of that stepping?).

Is that it (I know my description sucks)??
    Last edited by Crimson Phoenix; 08-22-2003 at 01:57 PM.
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

No, bungda07 meant something different...

In seven-star praying mantis system we have the typical seven-star-stance called tsat-hsing bo in cantonese and it looks similar to the stance you have in crane-style ( sorry, forgot it's name), if you stand with your weight more on the a bit flexed rear leg, the front leg is straight and you only have the heel on the ground, the tip toes show up, imagine an application as if you would put your foot upon the foot of your opponent so that he can't go backwards .
    7*tanglang Germany with regards...

hhmm yes, I seen that stance performed by Kao Tao Shan...

it's funny but one of the basic stance in white crane is also called seven star stance. But it's a different one: the legs are like some si liu bu (4/6 stance) except that the weight is in the middle and the knees really squeezed in, white crane style. The front foot is often 45 degrees but it's not uncommon to see it done with the front foot turned all the way to the inside, pointing sideways when your stance points forward. It really locks anything that should target the groin and confers good root. Surprisingly after a little while this stance can become really mobile as well if you implement the classical white crane hopping steps...

however I don't think there's any link between that 7* stance and the stepping I described. I'm still wondering if it is the same that Bungda inquired about or if there's yet another version of it...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

QI XING STEPPING

Thanks for the replies. I went to YMAA.COM, Master Yang's website, he has two tapes on White Crane. One of them goes over Qi Xing Stepping. It is on tape # 1 of White Crane training tape.

V/r

Steve Manning

bungda 07

So this is something I didn't know, that crane style has a stance that looks like our tsat hsing bo, AND also has a stance thats CALLED like it but LOOKS differnt -funny thing that..
    7*tanglang Germany with regards...