Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernesto "Mr. Kung Fu" Hoost - Sherdog Highlight Video

Ernesto "Mr. Kung Fu" Hoost - Sherdog Highlight Video

http://sherdog.com/videos/hoost/hoostvideo.htm

i started limping after watching
    Last edited by truewrestler; 08-22-2003 at 04:52 PM.

Thumbs up

k
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Monkey, Monkey, Monkey.....

"Mr Kung fu"?

You learn the game fast.

You remind me of ........well.........me.

Nice.

If that's the right word :wince: !

Where the hell do those kicks come from (rhetorical question)?

Who's that fat guy around the 3:00 minute mark, and why is he in the ring, not eating burgers somewhere?

And around 1:12 there's a beautiful straight right stopping the other guy's straight right... pure poetry in motion. Not a flinch, just a calm collected, calculated shot. Jealous.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

to the top

Originally posted by truewrestler
    to the top
    hehehe, feeling in a benevolent 'educate the kf peasants' mood are you TW?!

Just so it stays (?!) on topic, I just say that looking at that sequence again, Hoost's timing is superb, and the case I cited was not the only one of his split-second timing. This is what I aim for and train for in chi sao and sparring.

As a WCer, this kind of timing and accuracy under pressure (we'll forget the power delivery for now), is what makes all the difference between so much of the WC you see, and the WC I want to get to. In WC there is usually a lot of forward motion, and though the kuen kit (not to mention common sense) say don't fight force with force, that's what many people do. To me, the essence of this kind calmness which enables this kind of timing and accuracy, is directly part of 'Accepting/greeting what comes'.

In practical terms, let's take an overhand. A common enough attack, but one that seems to cause a lot of problems to WCers. Panic, step in while throwing a dodgy tan sao (and of course, it's WC so never NEVER move the head ) and a patty cake punch to bounce off the jaw, eat the right you've just walked directly into, eat dirt. OR, step in just a little, cover your head with a cross body pak (:gasp: ) and tucking your chin into your otherwise perfect WC posture (:shock: ), turn into the line of the hook while a centreline uppercut (from chum kiu, remember?!)/sun fist throws itself with your whole body behind it, elbows flared slightly (:sacrilege!: ) to glance off the inside of the incoming... this is greeting the attack! You end up with a glancing blow off your shoulder and a solid punch to your opp's button, without thinking.

This is kungfu.

Or it should be.

And yes, you can practise it in a chi sao framework again! Then it should be sharpening your reflex for the real thing.

And yes, you should be practising it in sparring too.

In aiki (notice I don't say '-do') it is called 'the bridge of death' and you step directly into the attack. This timing is what allows the beautifully effortless-looking palms to the chin to KO/throw someone backwards in iriminage, tenchinage etc. This is what allowed Ueshiba to look fake before he turned into one!

There you go. A rant to nobody, about two of the most maligned and worst represented martial arts on the planet!!! Sorry TW, just guaranteed this thread will sink like a lead balloon!

Anyway, Hoost has beautiful timing... Pure kungfu!!!

ahem, clears throat, wanders off to look for coffee...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

haha

all I know is that he's a good kickboxer

Mat's signature denotes he is wise
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

to the top

to the top

ttt

strike!

Hoost is a legend

I cant help admitting as well - i *really* like the wutang clan remix the clip is done to as well.

Have to say as well Hoost is built to kickbox, he is 6.5 and has freakishly long limbs and a powerfull build. His kicks have much more range than most of his opponents seem to expect and you can see many of them are caught when they attempt to disengae him and he cleans then up a roundhouse varient (high or low depending on the opponents postion). He addapts so well to his opponents as well, his combinations clearly track to where his opponent is going to be and he has a freaky sence of timing which allows him to pin the most insane shots.

My favorite part of that whole clip though is the guy who he backs into the corner and then when the guy starts shielding up he waits, notices the guy has his elbows appart and then nails a single strait punch right into the guys exposed stomach. You can then see the bloke attempt to take a breath, realise he just got all the wind knocked compleately out of him and then double over on the floor.

Hoost is obviously one of those guys you went to high school with who was always going around giving everyone dead arms and dead legs. The only difference is Hoost got so darn good at it he seems to have made a carear of it
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

giving everyone dead arms and dead legs
    What does that mean?

My favorite part of the clip is anytime he closes in with punches, then finishes with a kick. He gets different angles on his leg kicks than any other fighter I have seen...like the front of the leg. His kicks really chop.
    Last edited by truewrestler; 09-17-2003 at 10:04 PM.

truewrestler
    You must have went to a private school

Basicaly when someone hits you in such a way that it interupts the blood flow causing you to lose feeling in the limb.
    We used to do it for fun at my old school, then again we where not exactly great role models
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun