Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero the movie

Hero the movie

I was watching Hero last night for the second time. I think it is a great movie.

The fight scene infront of the Chess House is great. Everything boil down to state of Mind -- No self, non attach ,and cool and crytal clear as a drop of fresh rain. There is one and only one purpose, to perform the skill beyond the limitation of physical body with single mind. But single mind is not the type which is dully focus but fill with natura flows....
    Since a human has great potential which is not limited by physical body. Thus, music doesn't cause a single distraction. The state of Chan.

Not abiding to ...
    how many can let go even a small slandaring in daily life? not to mention facing death and strong opponents but still behave as cool as the character infront of the chess house? It is a game of chess and he who win in the realm of mind has already win the battle before moving the physical chess. sometimes, it doesn't have to move the chess physically and let it be because the game is over.... and why bother spend energy for the physical moving the chess ? reserve a gap. The beauty is from no completing .. an art beyong just raw manual of sword.
    Thus, the killer didn't kill the king. The game is over. the nation needs the king to united it as a whole.
    I think that is what the director trying to show. I might be wrong.

Then, the gave up to kill the king, let go the revenge, even it cause self sacrify. In one of the book written by a modern Japan writer about Chinese history characters, It wrote " he who has the compassionate to help the people is a Hero".

I like the theme also. didn't saw the rylics but it is something like:

Long Long ago,
    One person's falls is others rise.
    ONe person's falls and sure his friends will feel sad for him..
    Your courage is his brutal.
    and who can royal to everyone.
    He only royal to himself......

And, we all fogort about acceptance..
    We need Hero and see who will succeed at the end...

I guess, with the skill of those advance martial artist and the power of the king all can be hero. all cannot be hero. In the movie, hero is about walking the talk about helping the people. Not about the power of King or the personal "fluentliness" of using sword.

Immitate something mechanical fluently without one's character signature is not an art.
    such as, the people who stand by the king and listerning to the order of the king is just an army a servant or follower. Not an artist disregards of title. Thus, they don't know about art and not to mention how to value art. Thus, they want to kill No Name ? ( the character play by jet lee) But the king hesitate to kill No Name because technics with personal character and heart of compassionate is a pice of fine art. In chinese it is called Hero valuing Hero.

A good movie which will induce lots of insparation.
    without the body which include philosophy and energy generating without the function which will constantly change there is no art.
    Last edited by Phenix; 08-23-2003 at 07:58 AM.

Re: Hero the movie

Originally posted by Phenix
    Thus, the killer didn't kill the king. The game is over. the nation needs the king to united it as a whole.
    I think that is what the director trying to show. I might be wrong.
    I think Chaan Jien (broken sword) has finally found peace in his brush writing of the character "sword". His writing no longer carries any sword potential, killing becomes excessive.

just a movie........

Phenix

Have you seen Bichunmoo?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Re: Hero the movie

Originally posted by yylee

I think Chaan Jien (broken sword) has finally found peace in his brush writing of the character "sword". His writing no longer carries any sword potential, killing becomes excessive.

just a movie........

Yup. Hero is about humanity not about who is the best fighter.
    When there is no sword potential then there is compassionate...

just a movie

Re: Phenix

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Have you seen Bichunmoo?

Phil,

No I didn't. Is that great?
    Please tell me more.

It's a Korean swordplay movie made in HK, not as good as Hero though, but with some nice swordplay.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Since we are talking movies, has anyone else seen Musa - The Warriors?

Its a Korean epic, set in Medieval times when Korea, China and Mongolia were just protoype areas rather than countries, and it has the most realistic and exciting battle scenes I have ever seen.

A group of Koryon diplomats and their guards are exhiled from the Ming court, and have to fight their way across the desert to get home.

Its about as far removed from Crouching Tiger and Hero type swordplay as you can get, there are no wires used, the fighting is brutal and realistic, with functional efficient weapons, yet for all that the fighting is just as enthralling.

It really is highly recommended. It is beautifully filmed, the locations are superb, and the battle scenes are second to none. I enjoyed Hero immensely, and have seen many of these type of films, yet Musa is to my mind one of the best period films around.
    Your lineage may vary.

Phenix,
    Hero is a really good movie in terms of cinematography. What was written in Chinese at the end of the movie? I know it wasn't credits.

Frank Exchange,
    I'll look for Musa. If it has sword play without wires I have to see it. I have a few Korean movies. Some are martial arts and some aren't. The Koreans are making some good movies. Thanks.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil,

IMHO, Hero is trying to show lots of Chinese "view" about advance martial art. but didn't get properly communicate , too much prequisite is needed. Thus, simple movie similar to grouching tiger hidden dragon become popular.

Phenix,
    There was some Chinese writing at the end of the movie before the credits. What was written?
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Phenix,
    There was some Chinese writing at the end of the movie before the credits. What was written?
    Phil

Phil,

I think it is about the history.... but I will check again to make sure

Hendrix,
    Thank you very much.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Musa the movie

Frank Exchange,
    Thanks for the tip. Musa is much better than Hero. I just got the DVD yesterday and I'm making a tape for a friend in Canada. The fighting is a lot more realistic than most Asian "Period" movies.
    I went on an operation in Vietnam with some Korean Marines. They had spirit like the soldiers in the movie. I'll be looking for more Korean movies.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil,

You are welcome!

I'm really happy I'm not the only one who liked it, as it does deserve a much wider audience, being an epic in every sense of the word.

The fighting scenes are very realistic. Apparently they did use wires in some of the scenes, but just to enhance an effect rather than create unbelievable situations.

I saw it the second time just before this thread started, and it was just as good.
    Your lineage may vary.

I thought the spear fighting rocked...
    One of my favorite weapons is the spear.
    The other is a three sectional staff .
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"