Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban legend or not?

Post Urban legend or not?

Er...

Sometimes on the 'Net I come across people saying things like:

I'm sure you've heard the stories about the lady who was in a rollover accident, how her baby was trapped inside. With surprising strength, this 110-pound woman managed to shift the one ton vehicle and save her child.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak3.htm

Frankly, I've never read about any of this in the news, nor have I seen any valid references to any news articles that documented things like this. Is this just some stuff "newspapers" like the National Enquirer made up, or is there there some truth to this?

It happens, adrenaline can do some weird stuff. My uncle moved a car off my cousin when he got run over. Then again, my uncle is 6'3" and looked like a body builder at the time.
    I have a signature.

Thumbs up Skepticism is good for you...

I have to admit that I am not sure what you were after here.
    Anyway,whether the story about a woman of size X lifting a car of size Z is true or not is not the case,thereīs no doubt that someone could "push" their limits under such a situation,there are limits to it though (telling you something you do not know?)
    It has to be kept in mind that tales,stories and "urban legends" pop up all the time,they may also grow in size as they get passed on.Such stories are seldom infallible.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Yea she moved it...what they didn't tell you was that the car had no engine in it!!!
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

I heard similar stories from very valid sources...

Also, most of us are not aware of the potential we all have in our muscles. People who would die in the past from tetanic crisis caused by the toxin had their muscles so tense they'd litterally crush and shatter their own bones...legs, thorax...

we are litterally powerhouses of muscular strenght, each of us. But most of the time this power is under strict control of nervous inhibitory mechanisms...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

The human body will surprise you when in a life threatening situation. For example, I am a pretty poor swimmer, but still managed to pull two of my sisters out of a rip once. I knew they were poor swimmers as well, and I knew I was stronger than them, so I had no choice but to dive in and help them.

When the adrenaline kicks in, and the prospect of losing a loved one looms, you can do extraordinary things.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

And with the car thing, what they don't tell you is about the ripped and torn tendons and ligaments and hyperextended joints that also occurred. It's not like you turn into superman for 5 seconds - there's some pretty serious repurcussions. However, the human body is a remarkable thing!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I turned into super man for 5 minutes once... Dont have anything to show for it tho.

One word:

snopes
    ****... that's three words...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

The thing that I find odd is that it's highly unusual to be trapped under the wheels of a car (and if you're trapped under a flipped car the story doesn't have a happy ending).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Wink

"CHI"
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Your strength can be magnified greatly when under adrenal stress. The adrenaline itself doesn't give your muscles super strength, but it uninhibits your nervous system which will then fire a greater percentage of muscle fibers than you normally could. (for your own safety, most not trained people will only fire 50-60% of potential fibers at once) It would be hard to imagine a 100 lbs woman having the potential strength to deadlift 1,000 lbs though.

These stories have been floating around since at least the midsixties when I first heard one. Very doughtfull.

You can isolate a muscle and shock it with enough electricity to cause maximal contraction - and find quite a sensible limit to it's strength.

It's an urban legend. I expect a similar story was floating around the time of the Trojan War about a Grecian woman who flipped her chariot and had to pick it up to save her baby....

The fact these stories exist says more about human psychology than it does human anatomy....
    K. Mark Hoover