Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Yip Man Use The Phoenix Eye Fist ?

thanks NTC, Old jong dawood and others on the other thread.
    Lets not get overboard- I am still the same cantankerous fella.
    Next life, I will try better.

Hello,

There is one thing that is jumping out at me on this topic. Its the question being raised as to if someone should use it or not? My thoughts are one should not think about if he will be using a Foo Ngon or a Yat Jee or a Charp Choi or any other shape. This stuff is designed to just come out and when someone reacts they should not decide on what to use as that would go against the natural way of functioning.

I understand some of the pro's and con's going on and there would certainly be pro's and con's in anything but if we think in a fight we will probally be kissing the concrete very fast.

Just my thoughts!

Regards,
    Jim

Jim- i dont think anyone is suggesting- pausing and thinking
    in the midst of a crisis.

Hello Joy!

Jim- i dont think anyone is suggesting- pausing and thinking
    in the midst of a crisis.

Understood but!

This is basically what I heard in what was written:

I have it but wont use it unless I was an emergency or or something like, I have it but its too dangerous etc..

If you do Kung Fu that truly involves the Foo Ngon (or any tool) then like it or not you will have to either use it in reality (as in any "real" heated situation as your mind will register as Cricis and react) or its not really built into your natural Kung Fu.

A lot of people say: We have foo ngon but in reality it is not part of their natural arts boxing other being just this little golden name to say "I have it to!"

For any one of our tools to be used spontaneosly, or in any natural way, they must be a daily/regular part of our training routine. If we Sun Punch 100 times per day (along with our other stuff) and Sun Punch the wall bag 100 times per day then the Sun Punch will work naturally. Yet, if we Sun Punch the bulk of the time and then occassionally do a few Foo Ngon applications or training (as it involves a different fist formation which is odd to the other naturally trained Sun formation) then it just wont come out naturally. But! If it was equally trained then you would not be able to control when or where you would use it as it would just react naturally.

So, do those of you that have the Foo Ngon in the Biu Jee, or somewhere in your three sets (or maybe in all of them), take this move out and work it as much as the Sun Punch (or any other method you practice regularly) or do you just practice it in the forms and do the occassion Foo Ngon development you hear a lot about?

I guess the moral of all that babbling mush is:

If it is not part of the norm WC for you then dont waste your time with it!

If it is, then you cannot control what you do when reacting!

Atleast thats what I believe.

Regards,
    Jim

Jim- we may have a little difference in our perspectives.
    I think that "control" is an important part of wing chun-using the appropriate motion for the appropriate occasion.
    It is not a matter of stopping and thinking. After a while good internal dvelopment (Yi) automatically calibrates things- different from karateish tense muscle control.
    You dont want to use the phoenix eye on the guy stealing the morning paper from your lawn.
    Where does one learn the controls?-the full curriculum of chi sao.

PS: On the morning paper thing- one early morning when I was working out- there came a guy in a truck who stopped in front of my neighbor's yard accross the street- stole the morning paper and sped away. I hollered when the scene was underway- he just gunned his engine. I didnt give chase and was laughing my head off at human folly. The neighbor was stunned- he was drinking coffee and saw the whole thing through his kiving room window.

joy

Hey Joy!

Control is indeed part of anyones art and develops thru the whole proces (chi sao, san sao, jao sao) but still one need to ask?

How much does one practice the Foo Ngon and in any "real" situation where ones life is being threatened with violance I believe that ones body will react with what has naturally been trained.

Mantis people make use of Foo Ngon and Geung Gee a lot and that are there primary fist formations so when it comes time to fight (or just react in a fight), that is what will come out of their spontaneous reaction.

Most WC make use of Sun Punch. They sun punch all the time. When it comes time to fight the Sun punch will just come out! I have only witnessed one person who really used the Foo Ngon in their WC and that was because that was equally trained. Yet! Those who dont still think they can just pull it out of their hat when the heat is on or as they desire.

I disagree.

Controll is part of anyone skill as we would not rain Foo Ngon's on our partners or underdeveloped sparing friends (since that is or would still be a controlled enviornment) "and since a highly skilled person should be able to use minimum effort to play with their attacker" but if someone attacks you with the intent of causing you serious damage then your body just reacts to how it has been developed and freely fits to the situation at hand.

So! I guess! The big question really is???

When, where and how do you train the Foo Ngon to be part of your WC!

Regards,
    Jim

Hey guys,

Phenix eye or stacking punch doesn't have to be a heavy method.

phenix eye can be use as tap, drill, piecing... and reverse use....

say tapping, there are certain part of arm can be tap just to num or intercept or disable the opponent without injured him/her.....

drill is different ...

stacking piecing is different...

actually, it is very fun to use phenix eye to break tan sau structure. Hahahahaha

so is there phenix eyes hidden in SLT? Yes, ofcorse.
    The beauty of SLT is a punch is never a punch...

and if there is a way of punching call sun punch, then phenix has to exist because they are a couple. Where the refining of Phenix application comes from? 12 zhuang's 36 hands technics. a phenix is not just a phenix. IMHO

------------
    Hendrik is just a cosmos's illusory dream and waste energy to argue with him.
    Last edited by Phenix; 09-01-2003 at 08:58 AM.

Bracketed comments pn Jim R's post

Control is indeed part of anyones art and develops thru the whole proces (chi sao, san sao, jao sao) but still one need to ask?

((Many wing chun people have insufficient control on what they do.We may mean different things by "control".))

Mantis people make use of Foo Ngon and Geung Gee a lot and that are there primary fist formations so when it comes time to fight (or just react in a fight), that is what will come out of their spontaneous reaction.

((Big differences in wing chun and mantis structures and usages))

Most WC make use of Sun Punch. They sun punch all the time. When it comes time to fight the Sun punch will just come out!

((depends on who what when where))

Those who dont still think they can just pull it out of their hat when the heat is on or as they desire.

I disagree.

((depends on who what when where IMO)

((A natural progression in wing chun development))

Re: Bracketed comments pn Jim R's post

Originally posted by yuanfen

((A natural progression in wing chun development))

Hey Joy,

Phenix eyes is also great in my san francisco style wck with rainbow body to disarm tan sau....

Ya take that antena away.. we seldom see antena in cell phone anymore right? a part of evolution.
    Last edited by Phenix; 09-01-2003 at 08:55 AM.

Re: Bracketed comments pn Jim R's post

Most WC make use of Sun Punch. They sun punch all the time. When it comes time to fight the Sun punch will just come out!

Jim,

IMHO, sometime, relatively, sun punch is not heavy enough and fast enough. there are things which is heavy and fast in WCK.

see, IMHO, when using a "drill bit" one match it to the purpose. if the opponents is fat use this drll bit here ... if the opponents is skinny use that drill bit there.... if the opponents love to mix bjj into wck .. use that there... for damaging use it here... for disabling.. use it there....

and the phenix eyes match tan sau well....where sun punch will not do the job...

different drill bits for different things.

certainly one has to have the "motor" to drill...
    and even motor has different gear....
    and there are the axi which transfer torque from motor to drill bit....

Just my dreaming two cents.

well, I am bankrupt so I am selling drill bit and motor.. just a sells man
    Last edited by Phenix; 09-01-2003 at 08:53 AM.

Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen has always used phoenix eye fist as well as most other shaolin hand fist and finger formations. We are shaolin and the only difference is that our concepts i.e. (centerline, sensitivity) separates us from others. Fut Sao Wing Chun at it's highest level is a finger art dealing with Mak and pressure point striking. I heard that Yip Man also taught the old ways in Mainland China but surpressed it in Hong Kong because he was forced to teach in order to survive. I also heard that he only taught a few students who then taught the rest. http://futsaoyongchunkuen.com/

Originally posted by Jim Roselando
    Hey Joy!

How much does one practice the Foo Ngon and in any "real" situation where ones life is being threatened with violance I believe that ones body will react with what has naturally been trained.

Most WC make use of Sun Punch. They sun punch all the time. When it comes time to fight the Sun punch will just come out! I have only witnessed one person who really used the Foo Ngon in their WC and that was because that was equally trained. Yet! Those who dont still think they can just pull it out of their hat when the heat is on or as they desire.

I disagree.

Controll is part of anyone skill as we would not rain Foo Ngon's on our partners or underdeveloped sparing friends (since that is or would still be a controlled enviornment) "and since a highly skilled person should be able to use minimum effort to play with their attacker" but if someone attacks you with the intent of causing you serious damage then your body just reacts to how it has been developed and freely fits to the situation at hand.

Regards,

Jim,

when you practice chi sau, do you practice full power all the time? if not, wouldn't your body react with lighter non-KO power, non-damaging hits? why don't we train full power chi sau all the time with the intent to kill as in a bad situation those are the reactions we need?
    Travis

structure in motion

((Hendrik- I didn't say that. Jom R did.))
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sam of fat sao wc sez:
    We are shaolin and the only difference is that our concepts i.e. (centerline, sensitivity) separates us from others.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((What?- unless you mean something else from what I read-tje above statement is nonsense. Good Ip Man wing chun understands the center line
    and sensitivity very very well))
    ---------------------------------------------
    TJD-
    asks
    why don't we train full power chi sau all the time with the intent to kill as in a bad situation those are the reactions we need?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Why doesnt team A in military training sessions really kill
    members of Team B to make sure that things are for real??))

TJD-
    asks
    why don't we train full power chi sau all the time with the intent to kill as in a bad situation those are the reactions we need?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Why doesnt team A in military training sessions really kill
    members of Team B to make sure that things are for real??))
    that was the point i was trying to make. wether i use a phoenix eye or a fist, it doesn't really matter. if i can hit with one; with a change in intention i can use the other just as effectively. (assuming i know how to do a phoenix eye correctly).
    Travis

structure in motion

yuanfen, my statement was made for all Wing Chun in general. I of course am speaking from my experience in Fut Sao. My statements are not made to compare or judge Fut Sao from other Wing Chun but only to expound on what Fut Sao has to offer.