Thread: Submission Wrestling or BJJ???

KrAzy FiLiPino Guest

Submission Wrestling or BJJ???

I am looking into joining a grappling school here and I'm stuck between submission wrestling and bjj. There are two good bjj schools here and the submission wrestling is taught at a kung fu school. The guy was taught by Gene Lebelle or one of his students not sure. He does come in from time to time for a visit. Now I have a couple of questions. Doesn't bjj favor position over anything else and submission wrestling the opposite(going for a sub as soon as possible)? In a tournament IMO I think bjj would do better because of the focus on positioning but what about in a self defense situation? I'm confused because I think the bjj player can just as quickly get into position and get a sub out of someone as a submission wrestler in a street confrontation. Is there really a big difference between the two in executing submissions technically and time wise? Also I would like to hear your own opinions on which you would choose and why. Thanks for any response.

Oh one more thing, we're gonna kick Dukes as* :p
    Go UofA WILDCATS!!!!!

KnightSabre Guest
    I do both BJJ/Submission Grappling.
    They both have their benefits.
    BJJ is practiced with a gi and will make your grappling game real tight,it is also a slower game than Submission Grappling.
    Submission grappling is done without a gi and is not as tight as BJJ but is quicker,the movements are genearally more explosive.Either one will enable you to fight effectively on the ground.

jjj Guest
    BJJ emphasises striking over submission in a street situation, in a nutshell its about establishing a superior position where you can strike without interruption. I understand Gene Lebelle's style will expose you to the gouging/biting/younameit stuff from a grapplers perspective so that is cool too. I think John Lewis has one of the few blackbelts under Lebelle and speaks very highly of it. I don't think you can go wrong with either one as KnightSabre said.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.