Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Captian of what?

Consumers are generally a very ignorant and biased crowd.
    I think that is a dangerous assumption. IN this ever shrinking world we live in, people are more often informed about their choice before they get to the point of actually making it.

Personally, I think it is a failure of those in the marketing paradigm to recognize that the consumer is not some halfwit who will believe what you tell them because you wear a nice suit, a gold ring and comb your hair.

In the realm of martial artists, there are a great deal who are able to see beyond the idiosyncracies of a practitioner and will recognize the actual skills for what they are.

Gone are the days of doe eyed smily faced daniel sans looking to sit at the foot of mr.miyagi to learn about how to get through pre-pubesence and become adults ( a ridiculous visual, but it really rang true for years).

Nowadays people want real solutions and in the west they will not stand for being duped. Those who are dupable will always be that, but I do not think that the majority of people are shleps as you describe. Sure there is a percentage of people who have no questions to ask in regards to why someone is dressed up like a military member but in actually is not or why someone in the Bronx is wearing 17th century court robes from a country half a world away when they are clearly not asian decent.

It is my belief that all this stuff needs to be paired down and out a bit.

Authentic is not a look, it is a feel.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

"Authentic is not a look, it is a feel."

Very well said! At the same time, I know it when I see it, too.

"Let me think."
    SMACK!
    "Don't think! Feeel. It is like a finger pointing the way to the moon."
    SMACK!
    "Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of that heavenly glooory."

I think that is a dangerous assumption. IN this ever shrinking world we live in, people are more often informed about their choice before they get to the point of actually making it.
    Well, in my case it's an observation more than an assumption. Some people make informed decisions, but the vast majority seem to buy everything on impulse, from food to shoes to cars. Or they're "informed" by tv marketing campaigns.

Personally, I think it is a failure of those in the marketing paradigm to recognize that the consumer is not some halfwit who will believe what you tell them because you wear a nice suit, a gold ring and comb your hair.
    Actually, this is a great description of most of the consumers I see. If the current state of marketing was that far off, companies that rely on these kinds of marketing campaigns would change their ways - but they're not doing so.

In the realm of martial artists, there are a great deal who are able to see beyond the idiosyncracies of a practitioner and will recognize the actual skills for what they are.

Gone are the days of doe eyed smily faced daniel sans looking to sit at the foot of mr.miyagi to learn about how to get through pre-pubesence and become adults ( a ridiculous visual, but it really rang true for years).
    I think martial artists tend to be more wary of marketing than your average joe, possibly perhaps a punch to the solar plexus can be very effective at dispelling shiny marketing ideas from the cranium.

On the other hand, there still seem to be plenty of people willing to be told that waxing cars is the foundation of all martial arts training.

Nowadays people want real solutions and in the west they will not stand for being duped. Those who are dupable will always be that, but I do not think that the majority of people are shleps as you describe. Sure there is a percentage of people who have no questions to ask in regards to why someone is dressed up like a military member but in actually is not or why someone in the Bronx is wearing 17th century court robes from a country half a world away when they are clearly not asian decent.
    Well, I disagree, but there isn't a lot of leeway for discussion without falling into "are too, are not."

Of course, I would like nothing better than to be wrong in this instance - it would be great if people in general started seeing through marketing propaganda to the (lack of) product underneath and making decisions based on something besides that commercial with the latest pop song playing in the background.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash