Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this move actually fatal?

yeah its not that we dont belive you, you're getting majorly paranoid. I remember the good old days of primary school fights, when people could bash each other in the face and it wouldnt hurt because a 4 year olds fist is not a scary thing
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Hmmmm I'm not sure about this but if the person was unaware that the neck break was about to happen (as is the senario in the films) then its more belivable.

From what i remember there is not much physically stoping the neck rotate to far as oposed to seperating by hanging.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

LOL @ the 8th grade "navy seal"!!

Why on earth would you believe that an 8th grade kid (literally about 13-14 years old) would have any "marine" training whatsoever???

I believe your story about the fight, but you've had your leg pulled if you think this little kid was a "seal."

HS can be rough. I got into so many fights through school I stopped counting.
    Thank God for growing up.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Ryu,

I thnk he was trying to wrie that the teacher had been a SEAL or marine.

PS When you refer to a US Naval commando, they are called a SEAL (all capitals), not a seal, as in an aquatic mammal, or Seal, as in the pop singer. It might not seem like much a difference to the laymen, but they take it very seriously.
    Last edited by Stranger; 08-31-2003 at 08:27 AM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

ill say. calm down man, deep breaths. we are all friends here
    If I came <gasp> off sounding defensive <gasp> or out of breath <gasp> when I <gasp> <gasp> made my last couple of posts then I must have used the wrong font...or it might have had something to do with the fact that I was typing on my friends computer and my friend is from Planet Spaceball. Maybe I just need to do more cardio....

I was just providing Ironfist with a relevant story and when someone else questioned this story's validity I tried to assure Ironfist and anyone else interested that this story was indeed true.

PS When you refer to a US Naval commando, they are called a SEAL (all capitals), not a seal, as in an aquatic mammal, or Seal, as in the pop singer. It might not seem like much a difference to the laymen, but they take it very seriously.
    Thank you for pointing this out to me. No offense intended I was just in a hurry as I typed that first post and as Hisatsu pointed out I was running out of breath from typing.
    The stronger swordsman does not necessarily win, it is speed of hand. Speed of mind. -Count of Monte Cristo

Arrow

LOL @ the 8th grade "navy seal"!!
    Well he wasn't actually a SEAL, but he did know their moves...he had learned them through a correspondence course that he saw in Black Belt. They told him this move was lethal so he tried it on me the next day.

I actually was thinking some people might interpret it this way as I did not make it very clear which one was the one with the training...the kid just pulled the move out of his @$$, the teacher said he had really learned it...
    The stronger swordsman does not necessarily win, it is speed of hand. Speed of mind. -Count of Monte Cristo

I don't see what's so unbelievable about the story. Totally plausible.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

Oops. I misunderstood.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

I know its easy to break a neck by dislocation-by-elongation.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

It is fatal when done by Bolo Yeung!...

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    are we talking snapping the neck so the head flops around or just cracking the vertibrae enough so it hurts like hell?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. MA's contain dozens, if not hundreds of working techniques designed to break limbs (arms, etc.). Why wouldn't a neck break, if done correctly, work?

the problem w/ 'neck breaks' is that you can only discuss them in theory. I've been shown the angles and such from someone I trust to have the knowledge but other than fitting in to the position there is no way to practice it. so, if you get the drop on a guy like 'in the movies' there are many other options that can be practiced much more realistically....

and somebody give Ironfist a 'post per day' limit
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Dislocating is really hard. You can pull a muscle pretty easily, but causing REAL injury is going to be difficult.

Try this--go to a store and buy a whole roasting chicken.

Now, tear it apart without tools. Try it with a turkey.

I realize the leverage is different, but it's hard, awkward and unreliable.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

that's what I was trying to say.

if I get the drop on a guy from behind I'd probably stomp the knee from behind to lower him a bit and then attempt to maybe grab the head and put an elbow behind the ear.

or take some re-wire and wrap it around his neck really tight and twist the ends together and then sit back and drink a beer.