Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest art of all time!

The greatest art of all time!

I like Michael Waterhouse. His lovely nudes placed in mythical settings evoke feelings of lust, innocence, and wonder.

Of course there is much to be said for many other artists. Frida Calo and Salvador Dali were excellent in thier own regard. I especially enjoy the immediacy of Frida's momentary experiences. She paints her emotion and senses into the work. It's amazing from my perspective as a Zen enthusiast, because it shows life from her subjective referance point, unabashed as it is!

Dali, on the other hand is sooo dreamlike and irrepressible that his work has almost become a cliche for the psychedelic era's excessive adherance to recognizable form within chaos.

And then we have the popular H.R. Giger. I find his organo-technic subject matter to be deeply disturbing both in it's obvious reference to death, and it's demonization of sexual themes. I find myself at once attracted to, and repulsed by the imagees he creates. If there truly is a christian hell, I believe Giger's work gives us a glimpse into what that experience may be like...

It gives me the willie's just writing about it!

Your pathetic surrealism cannot defeat my Abstract Expressionist / Geometric Concretion / Bauhaus Chuan!

Franz Kline stance!

Alfred Jensen fist!

Max Bill style!

Jorg Baselitz kick!

(ps - it's "Kahlo", and while she rocks, I like the muralists she hung out with even better, especially Riviera and Orozco)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Alright, I have to admit that mostly I just liked watching Salma Hayek strutting her stuff in that miramax movie.

Ohhhh mama!

And it took me a while to figure it out, but I think you mean John William Waterhouse. (not really my style or era - but you knew that already)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

The cave man who splayed his hand out on the cave wall, filled his mouth with ink and then sprayed it over his hand therby creating an image of his hand that would last for thousands of years....that guy was a f*ckin' genius.

Everyone else is just a wannabe compared to that guy.
    K. Mark Hoover

M.C. Escher. a genius...
    But I have to say the most inspiring art has to be sand mandalas.
    To make something so beautiful and then destroy it is amazing.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Budokan has seen the correct in a block of marble and chiselled away all the incorrect.
    Crippled Avenger

for some reason i'm drawn to gustav klimt, now theres alot of raw sexual energy.

I also like Boris Vallejo, I don't care what anybody has to say about fantasy art, they can get the bozack.

Wow, I can hardly imagine two more dissimilar artists.

If you dig Klimt's sexual energy, have you ever looked at Lucian Freud?
    Crippled Avenger

yes , while i was in artschool a few classmates and one of my tutors were really into him. actually my tutors words were "i saw this work in person and i cried the living eye water."
    My experience with lucian freuds work however is a bit different though, somehow i didnt find it that appealing, although I could still feel the energy in it(if that means anything).

How 'bout Eric Fischl?
    Crippled Avenger

wasn't familiar with him until a while ago. i looked up his work on the net.
    http://www.ericfischl.com/

I found the bed and chair stuff interesting

I also like Andrew Wyeth

I know , I have varied tastes ...sue me

You'll be hearing from my lawyers.
    Crippled Avenger

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    for some reason i'm drawn to gustav klimt, now theres alot of raw sexual energy.

I also like Boris Vallejo, I don't care what anybody has to say about fantasy art, they can get the bozack.
    You like fantasy art? Check out Rodney Mathews. Not the t & a of Boris, but awesome art all the same.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Matta