Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Labor Day!

Originally posted by Becca
    I think I'll keep my union. I have seen it work miricals.
    Hey Becca,
    Good to hear that your pleased with your union. I shouldn't generalize about unions, I guess there are some good ones out there.

I never have, nor will I ever, work in a union job. My wife always has. So I see both sides.

Sometimes people who deserve to loose thier jobs don't, especially lazy people.
    That's the part that bugs me. People get promoted based on time in, not on who is most capable. It brings things down to the lowest common denominator.

But more often than not, it is the hard working slob who is just a bit slower but still putting out quality work that benifits the most.
    That should good enough. We can only give the best that we have. There's a big difference between this and being lazy. I think every company needs the hard working 'slob' who's just plugging away. There's a lot to be said about that kind of attitude.

I was thanking the heavens for my union when I RIFed 3 years ago durring a company merger. I saw what happened to the other side, who wern't protected by a strong union.
    The problem is, that if the business is failing, the union cannot protect you forever. The company closes down, or moves jobs to Mexico or India. Unfortunately it boils down to the bottom line.

Anyways, for those who like unions, more power to you. They're just not my thing.

Peace,
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Originally posted by Matrix
    Not surprising at all if you understand Quebec politics. It really speaks to the dicotomy that is the Quebequois national identity. It's not a black and white as separatist-nationalist. There's a lot of grey in between.
    It is very true. I dated a Quebecer for a few years and she was a Bloc supporter through and through - because the Bloc not only represents Quebec seperation, but it represents QUEBEC. This is the sort of transition or stance (can't find the right word) that this party is going through and I'm not surprised that it is still doing well because many Quebequois feel isolated in an anglophone canada, especially politically.

Hey Spark,
    I was born and raised in Montreal. I went through several referendums on Quebec seperation. I moved to Ontario for work, but Montreal will always be home to me.

Unfortunately some of the isolation is self-imposed.
    Politics aside, I think the Quebequois have a great culture, and I really enjoy going home when I can....

Peace

Originally posted by Matrix
    That's the part that bugs me. People get promoted based on time in, not on who is most capable. It brings things down to the lowest common denominator.
    I haven't found that to be the case. I have found that to be the attitude of many people who never accually applied for any union position.

The first part of a promotion in a union is the bid. Then they sort all the bidders into "elegible in side the group, "elegable outside the group" and "inelegable". Those in side the group, or already in that department, get first crack at it. If none they then test the out-side the group personel. It is only at this point that senority comes into play. The selectee will have the most time in but this is not a garrantee of seccess. You now have a probation period. If and only if you pass the final eval, do you get to keep the job. There are many more pluses to this system. The first being that if you don't happen to pass the probation, you don't get fired; you get your old job back. The next being that quallified personnel are garonteed a crack to all better paying jobs before the company gets to go out into the public. I could keep going but I'll leave that there.
    The problem is, that if the business is failing, the union cannot protect you forever. The company closes down, or moves jobs to Mexico or India. Unfortunately it boils down to the bottom line.
    The Buisness was the Denver Newspaper Agency. I worked for the Denver Post when The merger between it and the Rocky Mountain News was approved. My entire department got cut, but I was low-level management and so was protected, to some degree. I got paid for all my unused vacasion and sick time as well as 2 weeks severance pay. But all of my counter-parts at the News got it up the bumm. Most didn't even get lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

http://www.labornotes.org/archives/2...rticles/d.html

Besides bringing down the rest of the industry, Japanese auto transplants also impact worker's comp. by having their lawyers challange existing worker's comp and then having other companies cite the new cases to challenge their employees by citing Toyota cases, at least here in KY.
    Toyota made about ten times the profit of the Big Three combined but refuses to meet their benifet packages mostly in the post 65 age area. The younger workforce does not worry about such things as having to lose insurance and funding their own retirement.
    The Big Three's retirement covers about 70% of straight time earnings with no 401k match. Toyota will give a straight dollar amount to the employee when they retire with no monthly pension. It is 5% of what you earned and up to a 4% match on the 401k but you have to put into the 401k to get that. The UAW members get over 3k a month for 30 years, insurance for life without having to put anything in a 401k so they keep more of their check if they want. We get a lump sum of money and when it runs out... you better be dead. And a reimbursment of your insurance cost after you turn 65 and go on medicare. BUT it is not enough to buy what we lose as workers. To compete, the Big Three may have to lower coverage for their workers.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Originally posted by Becca
    I have found that to be the attitude of many people who never accually applied for any union position.
    I don't need to stick my hand in a hornets nest to know that I will get stung. My wife, and many friends work in union jobs and I hear this time in and time out. Like I said, if that's your thinking, then more power to you. Just don't try to promote unions as some sort of miracle workers.

By the way, I once applied for a job that I did not know was a union position, until after it was offered to me. I also had one other job offer. I refused the union job just because it was union. I have a bad attitude, and wouldn't do well in that environment. Neither I nor the union needs the grief.

The first part of a promotion in a union is the bid. Then they sort all the bidders into "elegible in side the group, "elegable outside the group" and "inelegable". Those in side the group, or already in that department, get first crack at it. If none they then test the out-side the group personel. It is only at this point that senority comes into play. The selectee will have the most time in but this is not a garrantee of seccess. You now have a probation period. If and only if you pass the final eval, do you get to keep the job. There are many more pluses to this system. The first being that if you don't happen to pass the probation, you don't get fired; you get your old job back. The next being that quallified personnel are garonteed a crack to all better paying jobs before the company gets to go out into the public. I could keep going but I'll leave that there.
    Who was talking about beauracracy before?

But all of my counter-parts at the News got it up the bumm. Most didn't even get lube.
    I was recently laid off after a merger myself. No big deal. Life goes on. BTW, I got a good package, and guess what...... no union.

MartialArtMart.com's Labor Day Weekend Special!

MartialArtMart.com's Labor Day Weekend Special!

Free Shipping on any order over $50 + $10 OFF $50 Coupon code: 10off50LB.

Plus $15 OFF $100 Coupon code: 15off100LB!

Ends 9/7/15 Midnight EST
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt 4 2016!

LABOR DAY WEEKEND SALE!
    $10 OFF on orders of $50 or more (coupon code 10off50lb)
    $15 OFF on orders of $100 or more (coupon code 150ff100lb)
    Offer ends SEP 6 2016 Midnight EST

I know, I know, same a last year. It's still a decent sale.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017

LABOR DAY WEEKEND SALE! $10 OFF $50 purchase (coupon code 10off50LB) $15 OFF $100 purchase (coupon code 15off100LB). Certain items excluded. Ends 9/4/17 midnight PST.

"Now try again, with meaning."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2020

Sorry, a little belated on this one. I had to work. I've worked pretty much every day since I was laid off. No rest for the wicked. Gotta hustle for Ronin life...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt42022

We're having a Labor Day Sale - $20 OFF $75+, Use coupon code LABORDAY2022 at checkout!
    Offer ends at 11:59pm PST September 5, 2022!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips