Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Related External Styles to Tai Chi Chuan

Related External Styles to Tai Chi Chuan

I know Bagua and Hsing-i are considered related/sister internal styles to Tai Chi Chuan. But what external style(s) would be considered a sister/related style to Tai Chi Chuan?
    “If you open yourself to loss, you are at one with loss, and you can accept it completely.”
    - Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching Chapter 23

long fist.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

Possibly Wing Chun as there are many similar elements.

No way.

I strongly dislike the way the word "similiar" is used in martial arts all the time. Things may look alike or even similiar, but that does not make it so. It's not always what you're doing, but HOW you're doing it that matters.

I'll say it again, my dog has two eyes, a nose and a mouth: does she look similiar to you?

Tai Chi shares a lot of moves with other styles, but that does not make them necessarily related.
    Witty signature under construction.

The White Crane set " Cotton Needle" is alot like the
    Chen style form.

OK then, SOME similar elements. As in, it doesnt look anything like Tai Chi but there are some similar elements that arent often found in other Martial Arts.

Eg.
    Raised sacrum/anus
    Tongue on the roof of the mouth
    Keeping the body as realxed as possible
    Head lifted with the chin slightly lowered
    Sensitivity drills with partners
    Whole body oneness
    The concept of stick with what comes and follow with what goes
    Movements guided by intent

"it doesnt look anything like Tai Chi "

No. It looks exactly like Tai Chi, single whip, roc spreads, fair lady weaves.. etc.

Being an internal/ external style, this should not be surprising.

Where'd you learn this form, bai he?

Why?

All martial arts share SOME sort of attribute, there are after all only so many ways to break a guys elbow or knee. However some arts touch surface level movement and mechanics, some delve into specific *jins* and alignment principles that take more time to master. Taijiquan is one that takes longer, and of course has more depth.
    Perhaps you are bored and wish to research different arts and their similarities, but I would advise against training in an external art and an internal art at the same time, it can be counter productive. If Taijiquan does not do it for you martially, look into xing-I chuan, and Baguazhang as a supplement instead of an external art, if your still unsatisfied either re-exam your goals or find a better teacher.

Good Luck

Gary R.
    www.flowingcombat.com

A teachers tai chi may resemble a kung fu style depending on their personality and body type, but it's superficial
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

aren't there theories about the birth of taiji rderived from some external shaolin styles (i don't remember the name of the styles, 13 postures maybe)? Maybe that's a track to search...

Bai He, I'm curious a well, how were you exposed to cotton needle? And from which white crane sub-style?
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

I learned it in Boston from a teacher named Ching Woo in Chinatown. I am not sure about the lineage, they were always vague on that point.
    It was not Fukien, but rather VERY Shaolin flavored. The same teacher also had 10 animals, I don't think he taught them publicly though.
    The Sifu only spoke Cantonese so questions were herd.
    The Sifu was a contemporary of Chan Hak Fu, but not of the same lineage.

BTW - I've also heard that the "Cotton Needle" may have been an
    add on set or a refinement of the original Tibetan form as it
    was passed down. There are sooo many theories to this.

Hmmm, well I've heard of Boston and Shaolin...
    I'm glad you got to learn what seems to me to be a pretty rare style.

Yoga incorporates all of those practices -- including tucking the ming man --as well except for the sticking and sensitivity drills ... which are actually the same thing, or shall we say very closely related.

Wing Chun rolls its elbow. While it looks like Hsing-I does the same, it gets the same position DIFFERENTLY. I've studied both. They're not the same, right down to the stepping and mind set. Wing Chun is like a machine gun. Hsing-I like a bazooka.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 09-08-2003 at 12:57 PM.