Thread: How do you pronounce Shuai Chiao?

How do you pronounce Shuai Chiao?

I am really bad at pronouncing Chinese terms, so I'd appreciate it if anybody could help clear this up.
    Monkey vs. Robot

"swi jow" is probably close enough. I've learned that to much "a" sound means "go to sleep" which might be applicable at that To much "h u" sound is a kind of dumpling or pastry. I stopped trying to speak in Chinese a long time ago since the Chinese guys and girls in class usually wind up laughing their assses off. But their english mistakes can be pretty humorous too.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Im sure my accents are pretty terrible any time Im speaking a foreign language (or trying to, but I have a really good spanish accent), but engrish is funnier than hell...

Edit: asian chicks that barely speak english are uber-sexy. UBER sexy.

Shh! Why chow?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Re: How do you pronounce Shuai Chiao?

Originally posted by Stranger
    I am really bad at pronouncing Chinese terms, so I'd appreciate it if anybody could help clear this up.
    Using the current PRC pinyin method, it should be spelled/pronounced: Shuai Jiao. This spelling should make it easier for you to pronounce it.

The Shuai Chiao spelling was the from "weijia" spelling system and used prior to 1949 in the minaland. It is still used in Taiwan although they are now modifying it as well.

wm
    dazed and confused

I always pronounced it like CSN said. Shuai I pronounced ShhWhy and Chiao I pronoucned Chow.
    I have a signature.

Thats what the keep on saying on Empty Flower too.

Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
    Thats what the keep on saying on Empty Flower too.
    That's because Mr. John Wang and the core of the Combat Shuai Chiao organization came from Taiwan. Therefore, they kept the "Chiao" spelling. It isn't a problem until Westerners try to pronounce it. If you say Shuai Chow, I would think you are saying "throwing bridge" in mandarian. Use the pinyin system to help with pronounciation of chinese character, it will make your live a lot easier and make your pronounciation much more understandable to mandarian speaker. but, cantonese speaker would still stare at you and said "what did you say?"

wm
    dazed and confused

shway jow is how my neighbour says it. He speaks cantonese and comes from HK.

Shway Chow is how the guy who runs the grocery store on the corner says it, he's from Shanghai and speaks 'shanghaiese' :-).

shway chow is how my friend from work says it. also cantonese.

don't know how the mandarin speakers say it yet. tell ya after I get back from c-town on sunday :-)

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wink

Shuai as in Shwazernegger and Chiao as in Cat Chow!...

I think I'm all frigged up then; I say it "swy jow", with the j softened like french pronunciation. ie, Je t'aime. It's like a cross between a 'juh' sound and 'sh'.