Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: salute

We train the salute position a lot, especially in grappling, but that shape is to be maintained at all times, both hands working together.

As far as its height, do you guys train the Party Line concept?

The nod factor

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    To me the downnod is too much like looking away or trying to avoid eye contact. I suppose the upnod could be interpreted as snooty or superior, but I don't think that's too serious a problem.

Who gets upnodded and who gets downnodded?
    It gets complicated, but here's a breakdown:

In general, white, asian and indian males get the downnod while black and hispanic males get the upnod. However, there may be an age dileneation there, as there are plenty of younger guys who understand the upnod (I've actually had some older people ask me what the upnod was) Now, that being said, older black males will usually get the downnod also, as that's what they give me. It makes me curious as to when the upnod came into existence.

I also have a theory about the downnod - it's easier to do with a smile. have you noticed that when many people give the downnod, they give a tight lipped, non-tooth displaying smile? Well, I experimented with it, and it's much less awkward to give that smile with a downnod. the tightlip smile with an upnod just doesn't feel right. also, do a normal smile and give an upnod...gay. The upnod is usually done with a straight face, smirk or scowl.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: The nod factor

Originally posted by SevenStar

also, do a normal smile and give an upnod...gay.
    Ah, that made me laugh hard. It's funny because it's true.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

no doubt... it's impossible to smile while giving an upnod and feel cool while doing it!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yes. You gotta be whilest giving the "upnod". Is for saying whatup. Downnod is usually directed at ladies, yes with a smile.
    And yes... "also, do a normal smile and give an upnod...gay."
    This is a most accurate statement. Unless, once again, dealing with females. Never give a full smile with the upnod tho...

martial application of an upnod? besides headbutting : none
    martial merit : significant enough