Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: salute

salute

Ok i was talking to a friend of mine at school, one of her friend walked up, i have been introduced with him once but havent have any contact with him for a few years now. Anywayz he walked up and i kung fu saluted him, you know the fist in palm salute. hehe any1 else have a similar incident?

NO

I think its called a bow.

bow, salute....whatever.

I have a school bumper-sticker on my truck. One day, I was driving down the highway and this guy in the passenger seat of the car beside me gave me the salute. I thought that was pretty cool.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

captin - well i just saluted i didn't actually bow, just the hand movements no bending at the waist, or neck

Re: salute

Originally posted by Xdr4g0nx
    Ok i was talking to a friend of mine at school, one of her friend walked up, i have been introduced with him once but havent have any contact with him for a few years now. Anywayz he walked up and i kung fu saluted him, you know the fist in palm salute. hehe any1 else have a similar incident?
    what was the point of saluting him that way? Are you referring to your martial arts school, or to your high school?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
    I think its called a bow.
    Most CMA sources I've seen refer to it as a salute.

You aren't helping your cause here any, you know.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

just an honest mistake...only heard it called a bow.
    Hence the friendly smile after the comment...
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 09-03-2003 at 02:32 PM.

captin no worries i didn't take offense

seven i was at my college. i didn't know y i saluted him just a reflece

When I see someone out in public I haven't run into for a while, I usually give 'em the 'upnod' whether we've studied kungfu together or not. The fist in the palm thing stays at the kwoon.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

We don't even use the sun/moon salute to greet each other in class - we shake hands We only use the sun/moon salute if demoing, or if it is part of the start of a form.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

We also only use the salute when doing a demo or performance.

In class any form of greeting goes.
    Witty signature under construction.

we use it everywhere, when sifu tells us what to do we use it to thank each other we use it to greet each other we use it to leave or enter we use it. None of this is mandatory but i guess its just habit, the older students did it and so we follow along and then the new students follow us . but anyway my point is after awhile its habit forming and i keep catching myself do it outside of class .

Nothing wrong with it - just like a secret handshake or something that other types of club might use.

I find among my classmates etc. it is only used to impart the highest respect and honour to someone.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

there have been the occasions when i enter a normal building and I start to salute and stop myself quickly hoping noone's looking. but to people , no, only in a m.a. context not otherwise