Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Castaneda Meets Martial Arts

those last clips of the muslim guys on the rooftop, not impressed. Anyone with a little indo/filipino training can make someone with little or no training look helpless. I just saw some pretty pathetic flow almost no technique. The last clip, still laughing about that one
    what are you laughing about? it was two guys doing attack/defence and follow ups for the camera. no it wasn't the greatest stuff, but have you ever tried to do anything for the camera and then see how it turns out? the presence of the camera alone makes you second guess yourself a lot and it always seems to come out looking like **** unless you take a bunch of shots and the camera guy knows what he's doing.

I already posted most of these videoclips.
    old news.

edit: what the hell is this?!

To moderate for a sec.

I couldn't open the clips so I can't speak on what you guys saw.
    But TWS hasn't done anything more than state that he didn't like what he saw from a martial standpoint. This is a forum, it's impossible to say, "I'll show you" so all we can do is discuss. I don't think he was being arrogant. Not everyone will find favor in everyone else's style.

Personally, reading those principles, I see a lot of cross over with most style basics regarding trapping, timing, adhering, ect.

I've played with a Silat guy a few times whi outwayed me. The first time was about 4 years ago when I was doing WIng Chun. He beat me -- though it was sort of a dirty, late hit, and he was drunk and on LSD but that's a whole other story.

I would say we equally matched about 3 years ago when I was focusing on Mantis. Again, the big ass drunk played dirty.

I played with him a year and a half ago for the last time and learned not to trust his a$$. I broke his rib on the first move (swear to God) but didn't learn of this until a few months ago.

My experience was that Silat "felt similiar" to Wing Chun (I know, I hate using that word to describe martial arts but if fits here) but chose different, unorthodox angles and did indeed use some funny timing. The guy was also a ***** and viscious, but that could have just been him -- that's why I hit him with a phoenix knuckle though I played dump when he asked if I did!!!!

He beat me -- though it was sort of a dirty, late hit, and he was drunk and on LSD but that's a whole other story.
    Sounds like it's Crowley-influenced to me
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Castenada: mystic, or boy ward?

Christopher M and I are in total agreement about Castenada. Just once, I'd like to find a person who writes some mystical flubbub who comes to their understanding through "a mystic journey under the tutelage of a nubian princess with a torn braziere", but no, it's always got to be some dirty guy on the road. I find it suspect that enlightenment always seems to follow the Batman and Robin formula on the best seller list. Elijah Mohammed also claimed a mystic teacher on the road(who subsequently became relegated to a backseat in mohammed's preachings once elijah had his own church), John Kim preached Wang Po, who supposedly taught him all of judo by pushing him down a mountain(again, Po's existence became less important in Kim's idealogy than Kim himself, just like Elijah Mohommed), I think it's also somewhat telling that Castenada's vehicle for crossing over was a root. I suspect his target audience is not concerned with braless nubian princesses bearing wisdom.

As for Silat, I know precious little of it, but I have read a tiny bit of what was supposedly a fairly typical training regimen, and massage is never a bad way to start training, followed by stretching, etc.

Quote: "writes some mystical flubbub who comes to their understanding through "a mystic journey under the tutelage of a nubian princess with a torn braziere"

see Arnold Schwartzenegger, Oui magazine interview, 1997.

"you eloquently made your stance clear about how you feel about the UFC and pride competitions, then why not prove yourself right about what you have learned and go enter a ufc or pride competition?"
    -willow sword

You havent heard me right. You are tossing an entire martial, cultural and spiritual way of life out the window because it hasnt appeared in your commercialized brawl known as PRIDE and UFC. Even if you feel the way you do about it, you have no respect or humility towards another culture's traditions by stating your opinions the way you have. You basically said bluntly that it is ineffective and that some of the aspects were outright bull$hit. Am i doing that same thing to UFC and Pride? YES, because it is the redundant and inexperienced answer i hear for everything about kung fu.

"and to make the reference to "carlos castenada meets martial arts?" have you even read carlos castenadas writings? i sure have and there is nothing that rings of fighting in his books, not that it relates AT ALL to silat or its "mysticism". i would make the statement that carlos castenada and his teacher "don juan" evolved and transcended past this need to get your rocks off by cultiviating your "mystic beliefs" and "spirituality" for kicking A$$."
    -willow sword

You didnt even read any of the stories on the site. Nor did you listen to what i posted. The thread's title was a fun way to say what the site was about. Casteneda had nothing to do with martial arts of course. Im not interested in "kicking a$$", i was interested in the beauty of the tradition and its fluency of movement, which i stated many times as you would know if you read what i said. I even said i wasnt endorsing any of this, yet you jump on me as if it is my very soul that you must immediately condemn.

Im not going to "debate" with you if you arent going to take the time to understand my position on the topic first.

Re: raatra

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    i would make the statement that carlos castenada and his teacher "don juan" evolved and transcended past this need to get your rocks off by cultiviating your "mystic beliefs" and "spirituality" for kicking A$$.
    Hell, they transcended past the need to even exist or tell the truth! ba dump bump

Actually, though, Castenada does teach movement exercises for "unequaled states of physical prowess and well-being" in his system of Tensegrity.

Vajra wrote
    "what are you laughing about? it was two guys doing attack/defence and follow ups for the camera"

did you hear the audio, one guy is yelling something like you want to be in my video huh? do you huh? its darn funny.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Thumbs down Raatra

Quoted by Raatra:
    You are tossing an entire martial, cultural and spiritual way of life out the window because it hasnt appeared in your commercialized brawl known as PRIDE and UFC.
    first of all it isnt MY commercialized brawl Raatra. 2nd i havent tossed anything out the window raatra. i dont combine spirituality with fighting and harming other human beings.

I dont down anyones spiritual practices in fact i respect ALL forms of spiritual expression. what i am "tossing out the window"as you put it, is the fact that you think that you will be able to survive a fight doing what you are doing. hey its only an opinion Raatra and i am noone special , so dont try to make yourself feel better by convincing yourself to ME that what you do is effective. remember it is what YOU think that matters ,right?

hey and i dont hate you or dislike you Rattra. I guess you are never really going to know if YOUR system works unless you put it to the test. if thats what you feel you need to do to justify the effectiveness of what you practice. i mean i dont know you personally but from what i can tell from you by your posts concerning what i have posted is that you are attacking the word usage of my post rather than the subject at hand, which is, in simple terms "I dont think that what you do is effective, martially speaking" and i have stated why.
    not once have you countered anything that i have said with what you have learned and the techniques therein.
    So do you feel that i would not be this way with you in person? do you feel this way because your so GOOD? or you might out weigh me or that you would "show me" by knocking my block off to prove me wrong or yourself right? i dont know but if i were in your shoes and practicing a "deep rooted spiritual and cutlural"martial art i would think of ways to educate my "apparent ignorance" rather than take the immediate defensive and personalize it to the degree that you have.
    who knows we could have learned from each other in this exchange(i actually had an interest in silat at one time) but now that i see that this is what the students of silat are like then i dont want any part of it.
    good luck in what you do raatra. TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Man willow you dont read what i post. I never said i studied silat. I never said anything about those clips and thier combat effectiveness. I started the thread saying "hey look here this is interesting" and that i like the FLUENCY of the style. That was it. I dont study silat and never have. The only thing that got me annoyed with you was when you started frowning at me and saying that "do you really think you can defend yourself with this raatra?" I never said anything about defending myself, i merely thought the site was interesting. It was like you were just trying to troll and made way too many assumptions about me. Thats what pi$$ed me off man. Go read my first 2 posts man.

did you hear the audio, one guy is yelling something like you want to be in my video huh? do you huh? its darn funny.
    oh ... no i didnt.... my bad.

Question Raatra

originally quoted by Raatra
    The fluency of the style is basically the root of what i am training for
    hmm this seems to imply that you train in silat

AND this qoute: "
    Im really interested in what you guys think about aspects such as these in relation to the martial arts. What are your opinions?
    well i gave you mine. just turned out that you werent really interested at all in other peoples opinions. seems like you are prosalitizing everyone to YOUR site and the priciples therein.

final quote from Raatra
    Did i say i endorse anything on the site? No. I said i advocated the flow of the system and thought the article on the 11 principles of destruction was good. Do i think silat is combat effective? Absolutely
    Hmm this also seems to imply that you study silat and if in fact you dont then how can you be "absolute" in its combat effectiveness? So what martial art DO you study if you dont practice silat?
    I studied Mantis kung fu, aikido and shotokan, then a hybrid shaolin/kempo style called shaolin-do(haha which we all know and luv to death here) and finally the last 8 years of training even during Sd was Hsing-i , pakua, and for the last two years out of the sd realm it has been qiqong healing and meditation and hsing i chuan.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Hmm this also seems to imply that you study silat and if in fact you dont then how can you be "absolute" in its combat effectiveness?
    he doesn't study silat. we know eachother personally and i happen to study pukulan. this is what he's basing his opinion on.

i didn't argue the point with you because i think your kind of a di ck.

no offence btw ...

it's just that i don't like you.