Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Castaneda Meets Martial Arts

Yes willow you gave your opinions more about my ability rather than the art. You stated them in reference to me when i dont even study the style. Heres a quote from my first post. "I dont vouch for the validity of the stories, I just wanted to share with those who might be interested. "

Also here is something for you along your own lines of reasoning. The internal arts you study havent been proven in the UFC or Pride, they are useless for self defense. Willow, you really think you can defend yourself with this stuff?

Lightbulb raatra

Yes i can.

good luck in what you do raatra. TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Then hop into Pride and UFC and prove it, as you would say. Otherwise your arts are utterly useless. Which is basically what you said to me as well.

Sanders

Sanders learned and then adulterated Bapak Victor deThouars personal art of Pentjak Silat Tongkat. There is film footage of Sanders learning in Pak's basement. Sanders is a fraud and a bull**** artist. His own main student, Jeff Davidson, has publiclly repudiated him and left his organization. The silat world is a small one and everybody knows whos who. Outside of Sander's cult like operation, everybody knows him as a thief and a huckster. Kabbalah indeed.
    Buddy

Thanks for the heads up Buddy, at least your opinion is an educated one. Do you know who the student who performs the solo forms at the site is?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

... bunch of interesting comments on this thread.

Count;
    sorry, but i cannot open the vid clips from the cimande site.
    i saw the first clip from the link u gave, (muslim dude) - it's ok, but he seems to be a relatively 'young' teacher. - it's a whole 'nother ball of wax when u see the guys who've been around for a long time... (less effort, more result)

tao monkey;
    how would u fare against that muslim dude?

.... i thought so...

Chris;
    sanders stuff is definitely o.t.o. / western magick. - according to the writings in sander's books, fighting magick v.1+2. - he claims that much of indonesian mysticism comes from the west, but i find that a bit hard to swallow.

chen zhen;
    that pic is strange looking if ur not familiar with that style of silat; and those guys look like 'posseurs' to me but, fighting from a low position, can be a very effective strategy. it's very frustrating to your opponent. (actually, they fight high and low - changing it up is very hard to deal with, and it would not be a bad idea to try and incorporate that strategy into ur training.)
    * who's the hottie in ur avatar? - hook a brother up!

casteneda wrote fiction. - i don't care if his books are in the non-fiction section. - but i still like his books, for the core messages, and just because they are an entertaining read. - for the stoned hippies / new agers who blindly swallow the stuff, hook line and sinker.... well, that's their own problem.

to willow sword, your opinions of silat are based on very little actual 'fact'. - hold off on your judgement until you have some first hand experience. - sure, the stuff may look strange at first, but once u experience good silat, it makes a lot of chinese arts look very beginner.

and if i remember correctly, don't u do bagua? - it's ironic that you don't see the martial / mystic connection; considering bagua is barely even a martial art. - it's roots, if available literature is to be believed, is that of a taoist walking meditation. (as still can be witnessed in certain schools of zen/chan, and not too dissimilar to the ecstatic dances of the sufi whirling dirvishes.) - do you view bagua techniques as purely mechanical? do you ardently practice walking the circle?

re: THERE IS NO MAGIC ASSOCIATED WITH FIGHTING AND HARMING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.

... and you, being an expert on 'magic', are qualified to speak as an authority on this subject, correct?

** if anyone is familar with "the speed guy" - jack something or other... (mr. hit a guy 12 times in one second....)
    he also has "magick" programs. (secrets of the kahuna warrior)

as does the whip guy.... (dont' rememer his name, (guy savelli?) but he has ads in the ma rags) but i believe he bandies the term 'psychic', instead of 'magic'.

magic/spirituality is also a big part of indiginous kali/escrima. - see dan inosanto's book, "the philipino martial arts"

i do not believe in striving for the aims of 'magick', as i believe it to be a dead end, but i do not dismiss it as the mere machinations of overactive imaginations either.

the term 'magic' carries with it a lot of 'baggage', (associations that come from popular media) which do not necessarily reflect the reality of the situation, and lay-science, being the new religion, scoffs at things that can't easily be observed. - but the martial/mystic connection is nothing new. (recall tales of the boxer rebellion.)

- it'd be nice to hear from someone who has first hand experience of magic.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

As a silat player I have heard the same info Buddy related concerning Sanders. Total commerical bullsh!t artist. From what I understand is that what he does is not even close to real silat.

For real silat you need to take a look at the de Thouars, Jim Ingram, Cikgu Sam, Richard de Bordes, Stevan Plinck, Ratu Adil, or a number of other excellent gents out there.

btw- Don't listen to that retarded clown. Willow Sword is all air and pu$$y hair. Getting a martial lecture from that SD queen is like getting a lecture on how to pick up chicks from Rip Torn.

I can see him now practicing his forms to a Britney Spears song while his obese mom claps and cheers from the living room doorway.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 09-05-2003 at 08:54 AM.
    Regards

MaFuYee wrote "tao monkey;
    how would u fare against that muslim dude?

.... i thought so..."

Thanks,,I too think I would deal with him quite quickly, and effectively.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Lightbulb replies

Count: your cool avatar is about the only thing going for you, quit while you are ahead.

MafuYee: I live in a spectrum of REALITY when it comes to my internal training and practice. i am not pretending i am in some mystical magical fantasy land where by "walking the circle" i am magically and mysteriously becoming immortal.
    my spirituality is no ones fukin buisiness and so i dont have to explain myself in that area to you or any of you.

as far as being an expert on magic? hahaha no i guess i am not an expert on david copperfield and parlour tricks to gain the attention of unsuspecting people trying to find some sort of identity in thier lives through Martial arts.

Black jack: yet again you demonstrate just how white trash and worthless you are with your comments.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Hi Jeff,
    I didn't see any clips. If it Sanders stuff I'm just not interested. To Black Jacks list I would add the Knustgraichen brothers and Frank Den Daas in SoCal who do Bapak Rudy Terlingen Ratu Adil and Ade.
    Buddy
    BTW Scott called me, nice bloke.

MaFuYee...
    Im right there with you on most points man. As far as "real" magic i think its mostly misunderstood. One of my girlfriend's long time best friends is actually a formally trained druid that spent many years in Ireland learning the craft. Now i was very skeptical of this guy, but he had alot of really interesting information and was a very serious practitioner. Its a religion for him though, not the method of manipulation and sorcery that television and books has made it to be. The fact that he actually took the time to learn in an actual druidic order for such a long time earned my respect though.

Heres another clip of some silat, this guy doing some interesting sweeps and such. Now this stuff doesnt look any less ridiculous than a flying armbar, but the flying armbar works so why cant this craziness?

http://www.pecahan.com/mmdemo.WMV

WILLOW SWORD...

Please do not respond with "OH MY GOD, DO YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN DEFEND YOUSELF WITH THIS NONSENSE? HOLY $HIT YOU SUCK! I CAN SEE SO MANY FLAWS IN THAT ITS PATHETIC. I WOULD TEAR THAT GUY A NEW ONE." I understand you feel that way, but keep applying that anti-troll cream daily and your problem with soon go away.
    Last edited by Raatra; 09-05-2003 at 12:36 PM.

Re: replies

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    Count: your cool avatar is about the only thing going for you, quit while you are ahead.

TWS
    That and the fact that I'm not stupid enough to believe the kind of bullshit any old fraud who claims to know 900 forms and bagua and hsing-i spews out. You wouldn't know good Hsing-I if it bit you. At least BlackJack and Buddy speak from experience with the arts and not from a deluded understanding from a confused cult group like Shaolin Do. Hard to believe you would say anything bad about anyone elses skill level. Just bitter I guess.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Talking count

whatever you say man.

Raatra: that clip was interesting. Those moves would certainly look good in a Movie

TWS.

Several important points:

-How exactly can people argue the effectiveness of an art based off of one guy's clips and no real discussion of further clips and related principles?

-It is always advisable to save the vitriol for threads on politics, religion, and SD. That is where anger can really pay off.

and finally

-While I think Count is a decent member, I must admit that his avatar, despite TWS' claims, spins far too much to be cool. Spinning is a sure sign of insanity. You can take my word for that. Spinning avatars mean crazy people, goth ones mean chronic self abusers, Star Wars ones naturally mean virgins.

and

-I must find the book of terminology that Black Jack utilizes, because I will never be happy until I, too, can use phrases like "all hot air and ***** hair" naturally.

Its called BJs Big Nasty Book of Ism's. Send me 200$ and you can consider a copy as good as yours!