Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Essential Grappling Moves

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Not nearly as fu(ked up as you'd be if you had no ground training at all.
    JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

jjj Guest
    Amen.

BTW Track and field and Glock Fu are the only styles that works against multiple attackers, anything else is just a Kung Fu movie!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
    When they wake up in the morning,
    that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
    --Frank Sinatra

Watchman Guest
    No kidding! If you get dropped and don't know how to work your way out of the situation, then it doesn't matter if it's one guy or twelve.

The age old anti-grappler argument of multiple attackers in reality is a moot point. I have yet to meet an experienced "grappler" who is stupid enough to force his way into a stationary ground engagement if he were to find himself in a multiple attacker situation.

Here's a question for those of you who like to bring up the multiple attacker issue: yes, the idea may be in your forms, but in reality how much do you actually practice to successfully resolve a multiple attacker situation? And I don't mean being Bruce Lee and standing in the middle of a bunch of guys using your fancy kicks to take them out one by one. I mean actually practicing to have more than one person rushing you and trying to slam you down, onto, into something in order to control you enough to start whooping your @ss.

If you aren't really practicing that, then you aren't really equipped, and fall into the same category you're trying to put "grapplers" into with your assessment that they can't handle situations such as those.

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

dumog93 Guest

useful ground techniques for the novice

Well,i cannot say what is a must for everyone as far as your bag of tricks,but i would say the sprawl is the number one defense against a defender trying to change levels on you.Shadowing,or mirroring his movement is another common technique used hand in hand with sprawling and shooting.Kind of a chi sau of footwork so to speak.As for basic moves i say learning how to sprawl and then learning how to strike from your back and get your hips back under to return to your feet would be a good first step.Regardless of what grapplers say,there are advantages to not going to the ground,though i like to be there if it's a semi-controlled situation where i won't get jumped by someone i didn't initally see.Learning how to use your basic checkpoints to unbalance an opponent on the way in is the beginning to understanding grappling.It's mostly common sense.When someone shoot your drop to their level and give ground with your feet while trying to maintain contact with your hands.If they get past that point you can use forearms and shoulder bumps accompanied by laying on top of them to slow the action.If someone happens to get in on you so quickly that you can do none of the above them simply use their momentum against them and don't attempt to match their level,but run over them instead,or walk over would be a better description.There is such a thing as getting too deep.When they shoot "too" well you can take a couple of step over their centerline and unbalance them to their back or at least get it to a mad scramble instead of you getting taken down.I know this is all basic stuff,but you'd be surprised how many people try to learn 100 techniques rather than get the basics sharp.

hope that was what you were asking,

-Devildog

Mr. Nemo Guest
    "once you hit the ground when fighting more
    than one person you'd be pretty well fu@@ed wouldn't you??."

You don't always have a choice about hitting the ground. And if you're fu(ked with ground grappling skills, imagine how fu(ked you'd be without them.

I'd like to add sprawling to what JW Taylor said. If you don't want to go to the ground, a sprawl is a good way to avoid it.

Ryu Guest
    Some great responses here. I tend to think the "essential" things to learn in grappling is position and control. If you're on the ground, you want to be on top of your opponent so you can either choke him or headbutt, elbow, etc. Ground and Pound is very effective for street defense in my opinion, and you can injure to degree. Mount, Crossbody, knee on stomach are where you would probably want to be. Though in crossbody you can't see your surroundings as good as in mount or knee on stomach. Again, streetfighting is unknown. You don't know what's going to happen until it does. Second, no martial art can fight multiple opponents.
    I'll use knives at that point, and run.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    You gotta roll in order to get the experience though. Talking about it won't do it. :)

Ryu

judo legend, Masahiko Kimur

A Simple Artist Guest

;) It's Good When It's Used Right

The thing I've always heard from traditional jujutsu teachers not Brazilian grappling is that most off the techniques don't work unless the opponent is caught off guard or he is tricked into receiving an attach. I've studied it for a while now and have found that that's the truth with using wrist, leg locks and so on. In traditional jujitsu one of the first basic moves is Hokodori when an opponent grabs your wrist and you spread the fingers wide and follow threw with the hands going up. And if you advancing you can push the opponent to the ground very easily. But that's not what people think about today when you say jujutsu they think of the UFC and grappling. I think that's a shame. :( :( :(

Looking For Free Wavs, Jokes And Free Email? ---->
    www.Rickswav.com

rogue Guest
    It's amazing that some people still think it's an one or the other situation between grappling and striking. I did'nt ever see anything in BJJ that would wreck what feeble striking and JJJ skills I have.

Brett Again Guest

Why Striking Can Handle > One Attacker and Grappling Can't...

It has nothing to do with being Bruce Lee. It has to do with positioning. I can move, keeping the oppenents moving, trying to always keep one of them between myself and the others. Its not easy... often impossible. But it can be done, at least for a few critical seconds, against several opponents. Once one is on the ground, this option is gone.

I'm not favoring one over the other... just giving my interpretation of an often mis-interpreted martial arts "truism."

"This is harder than it looks... and it looks impossible!"
    -Chuckie Finster

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Not only that, but if you're standing up, you're in a better position to run away.

A Simple Artist Guest

WHAT?

Us proud fighter cannot runaway we must fight to the last man! :D :D :D :D

"Learn to hold your fire until you can hit your opponent." ---Bruce Lee