Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicky-poos, is this a decent combo?

Kicky-poos, is this a decent combo?

My kicks are weak and lame and slow and all that stuff you don't really want in a technique. But, while futzing about today, I found something that I think might work ok for me.

Starting with the right foot back, come around for a low roundhouse, aiming at the side of the knee or calf with the top of the foot, toe pointed. If the target is moved so the kick misses, instead of following through with a 360 turn*, bend and lift the knee to chamber and immediately transition to a side kick at belly or face. Does this sound practical and/or potentially effective to you?

*it's entirely possible that the reason I'm able to prevent myself from turning completely around after a low roundkick is that my low round kick is too slow and weak to do any damage even if it connects.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Personally, I don't like to go for multiple kicks, unless in a jump or in different directions.
    I prefer to kick low and than close immediately for a follow up.

As for weak kicks that can be due to a number of factors.

Hip position, leg too straight or too bent, off-balance and compensating with the upper body for it, etc.
    Witty signature under construction.

That can work - I have used it before. Make sure you train it so that you can chamber and fire out the sidekick quickly.

Another nice move that I watched a kickboxer use once was when his front leg got kicked from the outside, he allowed his front leg to go with the kick and spin him around, then planted it and fired a sidekick out with the other leg. He did it so smoothly and the other guy didn't knwo what hit him.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

yeah i do that sometimes, low round then side kick, if it misses or if it hits , doesnt matter. one good way of saving yourself from being blindsided.

why are your legs weak?

If a low round house/sweep misses, you could follow it up with a spinning back-kick too. Or a dragon sweep.

My legs are fine, they're just not used to kicking, is all. Ch'ang taiji has a lot of shuai chiao in it, so I'm used to using them for sweeps and lifts and stuff.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    My legs are fine, they're just not used to kicking, is all. Ch'ang taiji has a lot of shuai chiao in it, so I'm used to using them for sweeps and lifts and stuff.
    CSN.

Can you pm me on how your styles ties in with the other 5 mainstyles and what are the main differences that make yours separate.

Thanks.

I could if I knew more. Sorry.

As I understand it, the taiji I learned is pretty much my teacher's own flavor. I used to think it was the same as Ch'ang Tung Sheng's, but I have learned more now. As best I'm able to piece it together, the guy that taught me learned Yang style in Taiwan, then came to the US and learned Shuai Chiao from John Wang. Being more comfortable with the reactive/sensitive nature of taiji but mindful of the effectiveness of the more traditionally aggressive SC, he developed a long form that suited him, and in addition to the combination of Yang with SC that GM CTS invented, he mixed in the silk reeling and short power methods he'd picked up from various Chen guys he'd also played with and learned from.

I can't say if this helps at all, and sorry I didn't PM it, but maybe it's relevant to the thread, so I'm putting it here.
    Crippled Avenger

CSN.

Thanks, that makes kinda sense.

My last style also was a modified style that my teacher studied in taiwan, funnillly enough on of my fellow students studied under the same guy in Taiwan only 35yrs apart.

Sounds like your teacher tried to re-incorporate a lot of the old Chen stuff back into his forms.

Thanks again.

so do you guys make up your own routines?
    basic stuff?
    are you as ecclectic as your sifu's respectively?

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    so do you guys make up your own routines?
    basic stuff?
    are you as ecclectic as your sifu's respectively?
    TJQ is a principle based art and not tech based, so there will be lots of variants between styles, region, teachers and so on.

Naturally there are basic training methods that we all use, but when it comes to forms and similar anything goes.

I got 5 vcd of 5 different people doing the same form taught by the same teacher and they all differ in some aspects.

Each movement in the forms has multiple offensive and defensive applications.

Some you don't learn till you have reached a certain level, and don't look much like the same move in the beginners version of the form.

So there tend to be a lot of people that add or modify the forms.
    many add Xing Yi or PaKua stuff in.

Seeya.

I think what you are thinking of doing is much bettter than the classic "360 turnaround" seen after a decent roundhouse. I never understood that.

Cool

If your legs are strong then you just need to work on your mechanics. Key objectives would be to develop transfer of force, balance, and arrival in a position that does not compromise your defense. The followup with a sidekick is a good option, but understand that in application this sidekick is not planned, ynwmsaying? It is simply your awareness of your offensive weapons and targets that enables you to take advantage of opportunities to damage the opponent when they present themselves to you. Tactically speaking, rolling the dice there is a chance that you would use that combination, it has come up in sparring.

To summarize (necessary, given my writing style tonight) --
    you throw the sidekick because your back is turned and you have the right distance for a sidekick. So we find that a combo is not in fact a combo. It is two distinct techniques. All strikes are opportunistic and spontaneous. Much development goes into being able to battle with this level of oneness with the motion. Quite ironically, IMO, one of the foundations that you need to acheive your oneness with the spontaneousness of the possibilities, is repetition repetition repetition. And furthemore, it is wize to maximize your practice by perfecting the techniques both individually, and as parts of combinations reflecting the highest probability of occurence. So the move is good for 1 move in a single form, you can practice it while shadowboxing, but as for sparring or fighting, you should just let it flow, and it will come out if necessary. OTOH, if you are exposing your back because of one kick that was apparently a whiff, and don't have good side or back kicking skills, then don't bother with that first kick until you are better at kicking, or just train a different approach not involving a wide swinging round kick from that particular vector.

Man, that was nothing like a summary !!!

Raatra
    the 360 turn around is supposedly when you "commit" to the technique with so much force so that it drives you full circle if you were to miss. the object is to hit the target. I dont like the 360 business cause it leaves you in a dangerous position. unless i suppose you follow through with a well executed back kick, or outside crescent, sweep or backfist or whatever was suggested earlier.
    sometimes it makes more sense to cut the circle and go straight into a side kick. but it depends on who youre fighting.

BTW, practice of a raised-knee "bird" stance is essential to good kicking, IMO. If you can do 2 minutes each side then you are cooking. What I mean is that your kicks will become useful, not that you won't want to develop them further, of course you will. Also I think you should be able to kick a minimum of 500 kicks total (combined) for both legs. The kicks being of any type, not all of them have to involve a snapping of the knee.

Ooh ooh oh - check this out -- for training your side kick as well as high round kick, try to balance on you base leg in the actual postion from which the kick will be delivered, lean, pull your leg up and turn the hip over 90 degrees, bend the raised leg at the knee and grab your ankle with your lead hand. The other hand can be held in a fist. If you clench your fist, you will improve your ability to balance.

It is very difficult at first, but like riding a bike, you figure it out. No cheating by holding onto the wall or furniture with the rear hand. If your going to do that, then take your hand off of your raised ankle and do slow horizontal kicks. That with hit your side raising muscles for the legs pretty well and improve your balance.