Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a school in NYC.

Looking for a school in NYC.

I have a friend of mine that is a Central Shaolin student and he just moved to Queens, NY. He goes to school in Manhattan. He would prefer finding a Central Shaolin or Shaolin-do school in the area. (No flames here, this is what he wants.) I know of none there so I come here asking my loving brothers what other good schools are near him. He gave me this list of schools he found in the phonebook, near him.
    www.bolawkungfu.com
    www.hung-ga.com
    www.kungfu-wusu.com
    www.chka.org

Anyone have information on this? He has no idea what direction he wants to head. If it was me I would seek out an internalist. Or maybe even a 'wu-shu' school, heaven forbid. Even though I may have been critical of contemporary wushu in the past, their stances, ariels, and everything else look great. He is only there temporary and that kind of training and strength building may be good for him.

What are your ideas?
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Doesn't Shi Yan Ming teach in Manhattan? He's a defected Shaolin monk, so about as Shaolin as you can get in the US!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I hear yan ming is in manhattan, good classes but expensive nuh frig

Expensive as in how much?
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

In my experience, I've met 3 folks from that Shaolin USA school. One just happened to be at a BBQ I was at 2 years ago and was dazzling everyone with forms. I sat back quietly and ate a hamburger. When everyone got bored of the jumping in the air and twirling, having gone in side, I asked if they could show me how some of "that stuff worked." I got a puzzled look. I slowly offered my right hand, just held it out to be manipulated a' la line drill. Nothing! Said he just likes to do forms, doesn't want to know how to fight.

OK.

Same scenario, another time, another student. Pushed the person from wall to wall chi sau. I mean really bad! A one year Wing Chun student would have put up better resistance.

Maybe this was just these two students. I don't know for sure. I'm injured now, but after I heal and fight in a Nov. fight, I want to make some rounds to see how my stuff compares.

Bow Law, I haven't been their personally but have friends that have. Said the white teacher thinks he's Chinese: wears Chinese clothes all the time and speaks Chinese. Said his kung fu was, "Eah". Knows how to roll, knows hot to stick, but is missing that certain something. I respect the level of the guy who shared this with me.

It all depends what your friend is looking for. If he wants to me a monk, as many do, it's here. If he wants to learn BJJ, it's here. San Da, here. Kick boxing, MAi Tai, here, here, here.

If he wants to learn Ba Gua or Hsing-I, it's here: http://www.chan-internal-martial-arts.com/
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 09-04-2003 at 05:40 AM.

Themeecer:

I have a friend that moved to NYC last year. 1st black and would love someone to work out with. He works in the city, but lives in Jersey City. We should get these two together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I've also heard mixed opinions on Bow Law.

It has been well discussed in the Shaolin forum that Shi Yan Ming does not teach fighting. FWIW, he also says forms are useless for fighting.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I wouldn't waste my time at Bo Law. Not a flame, but his stuff is not worth your friend's time and money. I used to go there, it is way too expensive, and your friend will not learn how to fight. There are much better schools in NYC.

Here is an old thread with some Bo Law information:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ghlight=bo+law [/URL]

Here are some links to other schools:

Yee's Hung Ga

Su Yu Chang

Pak Mei

Dragon Style

Long Fist [URL]
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Yees Hung Gar on Henry street in chinatown is a great school. They do realistic applacations from there forms, they spar some compete. They have a class on the weekend where they do boxing and some grappling stuff. Tell your freind to at least check it out.

.... i could go for a mai tai right about now...

tell him to try a class at evo-fist's school.

that way he can still do the bagwa and shing-i

... do u really want him to go to yan ming? - lol - out of one cult, into another?

hell, if he lives in queens, he can probably find a tkd school that's pretty good around there... or maybe judo or aikido or karate, or whatever, and not have to pay as much.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

maaan, that really sux about yan ming then

As far as Yan Ming, I've never met him personally, so I can't say -- just a few of his students. I for one don't like to judge a teacher by his/her students because a lot simply don't put in the time or effort. But the few I met presented themselves as the Be All and End All of martial arts but had no skill.

They moved very well! Had good body control, but no power. No idea how to express their training to defend themselves. They are victims in the waiting. This is the issue I have with Wu Shu, with is beign classified as a ma.

Anyway, there's a lot of martial arts schools in NY so if he looks he'll find something he likes. If he wants to come check out my master's school have him give me a heads up. Very friendly group, very open to guests and I've never met a teacher so hands on, willing to show.

Goulin is in Queens if he wants Shaolin... I've heard mixed things about Law, pretty good things about Yee's school, and he can always go to lkfmdc's school. In Brooklyn there is supposedly another monk as well. It has been a while since I've been in the NY scene though.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

The Brooklyn monk is now teaching with Shi Guolin.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.